U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 AM

7 posts, read 46,268 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
Do you know how can I get a US driving license with my European one? I have friends in Pennsylvania that can just get one by showing their EU one at the Deparment of Transportation. Is it the same here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 55,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamporo View Post
Hi guys!
Do you know how can I get a US driving license with my European one? I have friends in Pennsylvania that can just get one by showing their EU one at the Deparment of Transportation. Is it the same here?

Thanks!
From an online forum:

"Depends on what country you have your license from: some states do practice mutual license exchange policies. In most cases you have 60 to 90 days to change your original license to the state's one, sometimes all tests are required, in others - only the written and vision tests.

You do not have to be a citizen - as long as you can provide proof of residence and the documents confirming your legal stay in US.

Your best bet would be to read the driver's handbook for the state you are going to move in to:

FREE Permit Practice Tests to Help You Pass Your DMV Test in 2012!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,322,886 times
Most European countries are accepted my MA, if your here temporarily (work contract etc.), you can drive on it for a year before having to convert to a MA lic. If you've moved hear permanently, you have 30 days.

Here is a link for accepted countries and some info for foreign licensed drivers.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

The Registry's main page is here
Welcome MassDOT - Registry Division

As far as the link left in the previous post, do not take any info from any source other than the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles. There is no 3rd party that will help you here. You can view/download the actual drivers manual there as well. As long as your not from a country that drives on the left, it's unlikely you actual need to study for a road test, that's if you even have to take one. If you can't find info on the website, calling the Registry would be best.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamporo View Post
Hi guys!

Thanks!

I have a italian license.i need convart usa license, pls let me know.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:05 PM

If your here temporarily you can drive on your current one for up to a year, but here's the info from the Registry

Massachusetts RMV - Converting an Out-of-State License

Foreign license is at the bottom. Also, I've lived in PA, it's not as simple as "showing" their other license I assure you!

Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
please i need someone to tell my how to convert european truck drivers lience to USA turck drivers lience .

Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeam View Post
please i need someone to tell my how to convert european truck drivers lience to USA turck drivers lience .
You will need to start from scratch if you want to drive trucks here. You can get your passenger license, then immediately take the knowledge tests for the CDL license and schedule a road test. It won't really be that big of a deal assuming your coming from a country that drives on the right. If not, that will be a big learning curve especially when backing. Also most of our trucks here in the US are manual trans, while many Europeans countries are on automatics, which is the exact opposite of how we both are on cars. If your in an country with mostly manual trans trucks the plus is all the gears are in the same place.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,319 times
Default Cost of truck driver licence

Thanks alot for the information, and i will like to know how much it cost to have truck drivers lience.

THANK
JIMMY

Old 09-01-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeam View Post
Thanks alot for the information, and i will like to know how much it cost to have truck drivers lience.

THANK
JIMMY

Massachusetts RMV - Obtaining a CDL Permit and License
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston