Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM

68 posts, read 107,766 times

Advertisements

So I'm graduating college early May (so early i wouldnt mind paying for an apartment all through May) and I want to move to Boston

A few things:
I do not have a job offer (I have spoken to a few temp agencies and told them my story they are willing to help, I am told to call 2 weeks before I move)
This means I am able to move anywhere (neighborhood wise)

I do have a reasonable savings (it isn't amazing but considering a fulltime college student I would say I am better off than most)

I know no one in the state

I have no objection to sharing a bedroom even (my living arrangements last year were, well to put it politely quite small) and I am def. looking to share a house/apartment with people (again even sharing a 4 bedroom house with 7 people would be alright in my book, of course I'd prefer it less extreme)

I am far from materialistic (if it isn't obvious by now)
I do have a car
I enjoy bars and such (I am a 22 year old male)

So what I'm asking is does anyone have a neighborhood to suggest (I'd like people my own age of course)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Your best choice would be Allston, followed by Brighton and Mission Hill. Lots of young people, relatively affordable for Boston, and a huge number of vacancies beginning in May (there are more vacancies in September, but a lot of sublets over the summer).

Not knowing exactly what your savings are, I can still say from personal experience that living on a temp's wages, money can be tight, especially when you're required to put down a deposit on your rent. And with the added costs of owning a car...are you sure you want to keep it? I would probably try to get a sense of what your chances are for landing a decent-paying job in your field. Most temp jobs will only pay $9/hr, which is not sufficient to support living in most areas of Boston for a very long time (particularly since temps often average less than 40 hours per week).

Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM

I am entirely willing to get rid of my car (it isnt worth much and its kind of a money sink, but I at least need it to get there, I'm from pittsburgh) and my plan
is pretty much just to use a temp job when I just get there (it's moreso because it seems that getting an interview from out of state seems impossible)

savings I will likely have about 2,000$ (and thats just my personal accounts, i do have a about 3 more in bonds that I bought years ago and can trade if needed)

Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
Go ahead and sell your car, it will definitely be more of a nuisance than a help, unless you're thinking about living someplace suburban, and you're going to need the money.

Most temp jobs in the area aren't going to really pay you any kind of a living wage, so make sure you hit the job scene instantly and get to work full time as fast as possible. You'll earn enough to eat lunch, ride the train, and eat dinner, but don't plan on paying bills and/or rent with temp work, it just won't happen. That's where having sold your car comes in.

As for neighborhoods...well...it's pretty much open. If you want to get away from the student scene since you've already graduated, then go ahead and kiss Allston-Brighton goodbye and if you've got the green, concentrate on the Back Bay. It's a pretty young and happening area of town and if I were a recent grad, it's where I'd be looking, but make sure to bring your wallet, it's expensive. Highly expensive.

Alternatively, you could look into Brookline. It's kind of pricy and a little further out from the center of town, but there's a lot going on out there too.

Don't forget the South End, but you're going to find the same kind of price problems there as you'd find in the Back Bay and it can get kind of confusing sometimes because you're so close to Roxbury you could cross a street by accident and be in a dangerous area without even realizing it.

You could try out the Huntington Av. scene as well, but it's going to be full of Northeastern Students...they're even more annoying than BU kids...I should know, my ex got rejected from BU and ended up at Northeastern :S

If you're really looking for the bargain bin areas, you could check out Allston, but be ready for late night BU frat parties, punk rockers running around with bones through their noses and neon colored hair...it's kind of a funky area, I'm not really a fan.

Also you could check out my old stomping grounds, East Boston. Most of the Jeffrey's Point area (which is only 2 stops to downtown Boston on the blue line) has been remodeled and cleaned up specifically for kids your age. Jump on in there though before everybody finds out about it and it gets all overpriced and trendy like the rest of the city...or their little gentrification project fails miserably and turns back into the slum it always was lol

But, my personal favorite part of the city and place where I've the longest, is the Fenway. Rents are reasonable and you're pretty much walking distance to the Back Bay and all the cool stuff going on there. Best of both worlds. That would probably be where I'd most recommend you to go.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
How many recent college grads can afford to live in Back Bay or the South End?

Fenway is definitely worth researching, though.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 PM

RC thanks for the insight, but I do not expect to be making "the big bucks" or anything when I do find a good job, and the glory of moving in May it seems alot of people (at least glancing at craigslist) seem to have roommates leaving in May but leases ending in August (or sept.) so if I do manage to find a high paying job then I can move up.

And for the "odd" places they don't bother me at all (not to sound like a hipster or anything)
the sad thing is I never got to experience the "real" college life (late night frat parties etc.) because my college isn't like that

Thanks for the input though it def. helps

Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 PM

oh after reading other threads in this board, I do understand cost and stuff are a bit of a problem (and i do not plan on buying a house and living in boston forever..i dont plan very far ahead anymore I learned my lesson)

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Forget the higher end 'hoods like Back Bay and the South End for now-you don't want to blow all your savings so quickly if you don't know if you can support that lifestyle long term. I would try to find a sublet in some of the cheaper areas in and around Boston. Check in areas like Quincy, Medford, Malden, Dorchester, etc. Some of these areas, like Dorchester, will require you do more research to make sure you don't land yourself in a war zone, but the neighborhood as a whole is worth checking out. I would try to keep your rent under $600, preferably under $500 if you can (try to get some utilities included in that price). You're right in that there are a lot of sublets right now for the months May-September since most leases end August 30th but many students want to go back home/intern out of state/study abroad, so if you can land a cheap sublet in a more active neighborhood, then go for it. Once you get some job prospects, then I'd start looking at areas that better suit you.

Make good use of google and the MBTA site which will provide you with information about public transportation and dump the car. As others have said, it will be more of a pain than a bonus unless you land a job in the suburbs.

I don't know what field of work you're looking in, but be realistic about the job search and realize that, come May, you're going to have a LOT of competition, competition who may have a minor leg up due to going to college in the area, so make sure you budget wisely.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Allston, Brighton Dorchester. Parts of Somerville would probably work too, like Winter Hill and the area around Tufts.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 AM

thank you, I will start my search within a few weeks (also entirely offtopic eevee I like the name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston