U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,134,954 times
We wish you the best of luck leaving Boston. We thought we would love it here, but after 7 months, we can't wait to leave. There are worse places to live in the US and the world, but there are many many better places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM

675 posts, read 592,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicLifestyle View Post
Thank you for all your replies! My job has been very busy but I have a few days off starting tomorrow so I'll reply then! Sorry for the wait, I haven't disappeared!

[EDIT - Addition]
Couple things I want to respond to right now...

The person who thinks I dislike the T, please re-read my post, I LOVE the T. I find Massachusetts's public transportation one of the best in the U.S.

Also, those who are asking about my problems with the lack of birth center - I do not believe a HOSPITAL is a proper place to have a child or deal with a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy. I believe that hospitals are for sick people. A baby is a blessing and the birth of a baby is a celebrated event, not one I feel like I should be cooped up in a hospital bed. I want a NATURAL birth and often times, hospital births result in unneeded interventions that make labor and birth more difficult than it needs to be.

Unless my child and I are in danger, I do not want to be in a hospital. A birthing center provides a structured environment without the means of medical intervention (though some, like the two in here in Massachusetts, are connected or partnered with hospitals in case of complications). THAT is a birthing center, it is an alternative to a medical, hospital birth, so the person telling me that Massachusetts has the best in birthing and children, I do not believe you are right. A NICU is for a SICK infant, not a healthy newborn. I keep on top of my prenatal care and all of my appointments, if nothing is wrong with me, while I will and do have a back up plan and already deciding my hospital of choice if I must be admitted, nothing is going to get me into a hospital.

If I wasn't living with roommates or planning to move before my baby is born, I'd have a home birth with a midwife (partnered with my OB).

The birth centers here in MA have very high transfer rates to their connected hospitals.

I do not make bold statements like the above without doing research... and I use to have NO insurance after I lost coverage when I turned 19 until I got this job. I am not knocking state insurance either if someone thought that, I find it a blessing to many, but it forces people who do research about their healthcare to have very limited choices.

I am just going to assume that many of you probably don't know much about alternatives to childbirth (or don't care or are men with no kiddos? LOL). I'm just one those types where unless there's a problem, nature needs to take its course.

Oh... this is my 3rd major life move... I moved over 400 miles away from my hometown when I was 14 and switched from wearing a uniform and attending a private Christian school all my life, to an inner city public school in about 3 months... Boston is really nothing after that, BUT I still want to be happy while I am here.

I want to take the time tomorrow to respond to a few posts individually as a lot of you gave me a wealth of information, support and resources, and that, I thank you so very much for!

Oh, and thank you again for those who said congratulations on my pregnancy!
What a selfish mind set. I had an acquaintance that had this view, her child was deprived oxygen during birth and has developmental issues. The help at the birthing center was limited, oh well.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM

2,241 posts, read 4,029,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
We wish you the best of luck leaving Boston. We thought we would love it here, but after 7 months, we can't wait to leave. There are worse places to live in the US and the world, but there are many many better places.
A place is what you make of it, and people have different preferences. There are no objective, universal criteria for greatness.

I've lived in dozens of cities in four different countries, and Boston is still my favorite. It's not perfect, but no place is.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

991 posts, read 860,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
What a selfish mind set. I had an acquaintance that had this view, her child was deprived oxygen during birth and has developmental issues. The help at the birthing center was limited, oh well.

I have to agree with this one. My friend also had a home birth with a midwife, and the child died. Born with the cord wrapped around the neck, and there wasn't appropriate equipment for reviving the child.

It was so so so terrible...

Actually, hospitals are not always for sick people. Often, they are for healthy people, trying to stay that way.

I would do anything to have the Medical resources of Boston available to my family. You are very lucky to be in the city that arguably has the best health care in the country.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,011,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I have to agree with this one. My friend also had a home birth with a midwife, and the child died. Born with the cord wrapped around the neck, and there wasn't appropriate equipment for reviving the child.

Actually, hospitals are not always for sick people. Often, they are for healthy people, trying to stay that way.

I would do anything to have the Medical resources of Boston available to my family. You are very lucky to be in the city that arguably has the best health care in the country.
Wouldn't you rather have strip malls, fundamentalists, and country doctors? All kidding aside, people tend to see and enjoy what they preconceive, and it's hilarious to see American tourists disappointed in places like Florence and Sydney because they're decidedly not what passes for development in large swaths of our country.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,134,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
A place is what you make of it, and people have different preferences. There are no objective, universal criteria for greatness.

I've lived in dozens of cities in four different countries, and Boston is still my favorite. It's not perfect, but no place is.
You are correct that there is no universal criteria. There is probably no better place for you. For us there is. We find that Boston is just too small, insular, and run-down for our tastes. We wouldn't be happy in Indianapolis or Omaha, and we're not happy here in this city of similar size.

I used to think that a place is what you make of it, but after months of trying to convince ourselves that Boston was a good place for us, we came to realize that it is better to accept that there are limits to how far you should bend your perception to convince yourself you are happy with a certain place, lifestyle, etc. Thus, rather than stay, be unhappy, and complain, we're leaving. I wish the OP good luck in her attempt to do the same.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:44 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,661,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicLifestyle View Post

I just really don't like this city. I find it expensive, dirty, congested, and overall just not enjoyable.
Where you sick when you typed this? Possibly running a fever? I can't believe any of these observations.

If my wife didn't have a great career at one of the major universities in Pittsburgh, we'd pack up and be in Boston in a second.

Dirty? Not enjoyable? You have to be kidding. We were in Boston last September while on a cruise, and I seriously asked my wife if we could look up a real estate agent and just stay.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:25 PM

13,306 posts, read 12,950,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

I would go to a hospital just because we all feel we will have a healthy baby and sometimes life jolts you with a hurtful surprise.
My first baby 6lbs 8ozs was a stillborn girl. They had "no reason why," no cord wrapped around the neck. Absolutely no reason and I had very good pre natal care.
I had a baby come feet first. This was a 10lb baby.....I am lucky she was delivered and was ok. Feet first is no picnic. Thank God I was in a hospital for great care.
Another baby was a, what the doctors called ...a lop. She was turned in the wrong direction to deliver her.
Things go wrong so easily. Without warning. So whatever is the safest for you and your child,would be the best situation to adhear to.
I have to add my daughter had a child that did not get nutrients from the umbilical cord but had large veins on the placenta sac. ( there is a name for this) If one of those burst both the mother and baby can die.
No one knew until the baby was delivered and we looked at the sac.
So many strange and sad things can happen during a babies birth.
Although we promote happiness, and joy...There are some sad and difficult times as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 884,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I think you've pretty much nailed it. Somebody who comes from a place like Virginia with its sprawling strip mall suburbs and chain restaurant culture, expecting/wanting to find the same, is in for a disappointment.
It is interesting because I read an argument of someone asking "Why do we have/want big companies" and the reply was that to somehow guarantee some standardization no matter where you go...

Well that takes out the concept of traveling.

When I go overseas I eat as little fast food as possible. Heck once it was their version (a quick in france) rather than domestic.

I don't come back with a mindset that somehow I would have to have all the comforts of home everywhere.

Some things are better off if they don't expand. In Mass I know of one Popeyes (Brockton) ...and in RI two (providence place mall and one other). Meanwhile there's no duncan donuts in the south west but they have them in asia ?!?

I'd also say that there is diversity of places that are local but not everyone knows about it. We get used to everything having to be a big chain or big box that we lose sight of whats around us.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM

118 posts, read 114,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'd also say that there is diversity of places that are local but not everyone knows about it. We get used to everything having to be a big chain or big box that we lose sight of whats around us.
That is true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston