U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 PM

3,427 posts, read 8,288,408 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm wondering where in particular there are different South American, Central American, and Caribbean enclaves.

Other groups would be interesting as well.

I'm trying to find where certain groups live, if you know the country of origin that's even better.

I'm doing this because I miss the food my mom makes and the food available in Miami. I'm sure the results of this thread will prove to be interesting.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM

594 posts, read 1,529,566 times
There aren't really that many left, to tell you the truth. People are all just kind of mushed together now.

Of course there's Chinatown, but I honestly can't think of any other community (aside from Roxbury with African-Americans) that really maintains a strong ethnic identity anymore.

Out in the suburbs though you'll find a lot of towns that do. For example in Watertown there is a huge concentration of Armenians, in Lawrence there's a lot of Dominicans/Puerto Ricans, Revere has a lot of Mexicans, Everett has a small but proud Brazilian community, Fall River is home to a lot of Portuguese people, Lowell has a lot of Cambodians and Vietnamese folks walking around.

But in the actual city proper, there's very few places that go out of their way to maintain an ethnic identity anymore. The Jewish community in Brookline might be the only example left, but even then it's pretty hard to find unless you're looking for it.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM

350 posts, read 1,020,316 times
Nonantum - one of the villages in Newton - Italian. In fact, they paint the divider marking in the main streets white, red and green!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM
miu

17,637 posts, read 37,450,329 times
The North End is very Italian. Union Square in Somerville is very multi-ethnic. In particular, there are two Peruvian restaurants, several Brazilian businesses (look for their flags), a Mexican place plus Indian and Asian eateries.

Inman Square has Indian, Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,601,506 times
North End - Italian
East Cambridge/Inman Square: Portuguese, Azorean, Brazilian and Cape Verdean
Mattapan: West Indian, mainly Jamaican and Trinidadian
Dorchester: West Indian and Cape Verdean
East Boston: Salvadoran and Mexican
Everett: Brazilian
Framingham: Brazilian
Chinatown: Cantonese and Taiwanese
Quincy: Cantonese
Brighton Ave-Allston: Korean
Brookline: Jewish
Lawrence: Dominican
Jackson Sq-JP: Dominican
Lowell: Cambodian
Malden Center: Indian and Pakistani
Moody St-Waltham: Indian
Watertown: Armenian
Fields Corner-Dorchester: Vietnamese
Fall River: Portuguese and Azorean
Brockton: Cape Verdean
Randolph: West Indian

Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM

7,230 posts, read 6,318,784 times
I don't think Boston has as large of ethnic enclaves as other cities simply because Boston isn't as large as many other places with a similar ethnic makeup and neighborhoods are so fluid. Also, immigration trends come and go...how many Italians are coming here anymore to keep the North End "Italian"? Not many, it's more Italian-American at this point but you can argue that's its own culture. The numbers of Irish in Boston dropped sharply over the past 10 years, as the Celtic Tiger roared and immigrants who settled here had their own (American born) kids.

But still, here are some examples where you will still hear other languages/find food catering to these cultures:

-Brighton (esp. around Oak Square) and South Boston/Irish: Irish
-East Cambridge: Brazilian and Portuguese
-Fields Corner (Dorechester: Vietnemese
-Andrew Square (Southie): Plish
-East Boston: Salvadoran
-East Somerville: Salvadoran/Brazilian
-Mattapan/Dorchester: Haitian

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the responses

Also, does anyone know of any upcoming carnivals or festivals?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM
miu

17,637 posts, read 37,450,329 times
In the summertime, the North End has several festivals celebrating specific saints. And this website lists a number of fun outdoor ethnic events in the Boston area:

Some of the best things about summer in the Hub : Boston Guide - Panorama Magazine

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,601,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks for the responses

Also, does anyone know of any upcoming carnivals or festivals?
Still a few months away but Boston Carnival is August 25th (Boston Carnival Village Home Page | Bostoncarnivalvillage.com | Promote Boston Trinidad Style Carnival, the Steelpan and arrange funding for the bandleaders) and Cambridge Carnival is September 9th (Cambridge Carnival International)

Also what specific type of Caribbean food are you looking for?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In the summertime, the North End has several festivals celebrating specific saints. And this website lists a number of fun outdoor ethnic events in the Boston area:

Some of the best things about summer in the Hub : Boston Guide - Panorama Magazine

great! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Still a few months away but Boston Carnival is August 25th (Boston Carnival Village Home Page | Bostoncarnivalvillage.com | Promote Boston Trinidad Style Carnival, the Steelpan and arrange funding for the bandleaders) and Cambridge Carnival is September 9th (Cambridge Carnival International)

Also what specific type of Caribbean food are you looking for?
Thanks!

Cuban...I also actively seek out South American food either Brazilian, Colombian, or Peruvian. I also want to find little shops and cheap clothing stores that are usually in neighborhoods with lots of immigrants.

I used to buy all of my clothes from this cheap "Spanish/Hispanic/maybe Cuban" store in Miami they had every bright colored cotton shirt imaginable for under $10, cotton workout clothes, cheap jeans, and clubbing stuff. Surprising all of my stuff from there is still in good shape.

I can find more stuff I like at that kind of store than at Bloomingdales (I know, I just tried a few days ago!)

If you are familiar with Rainbow's, it's a family-owned rainbows with brighter colors, more cotton, and less polyester.

I guess in my area I feel very isolated from all of that (Chestnut Hill).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston