Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times

Advertisements

In any case it was right in the stretch facing Copley Square, it was open very late, had a great menu selection (if not of highest Jewish deli quality) and by rights should still be in business. A great loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
See this for Ken's address: The Real Paper - Google News Archive Search

Their Sunday Sandwich pastrami platter lasted for days! There was also a small place nearby called The Unicorn (1964).

Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,547 times
I lived in Boston from 1975-77. Worked as a waiter at Victoria Station Restaurant (now long gone) on Northern Ave. on the harbor near Anthony's Pier 4. I would get off work very late and many times would stop at Ken's on Boylston for a late night bite to eat. It was open til 3 am and I lived within walking distance. I once met Frank Zappa there. He was having dinner with two of his bandmates after a show. I awkwardly went up to him and asked if he was Frank Zappa and he kindly invited me to sit with them and eat. We chatted about music and current affairs - nothing really that memorable about the conversation - but still an interesting memory associated with Ken's.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccox01 View Post
I lived in Boston from 1975-77. Worked as a waiter at Victoria Station Restaurant (now long gone) on Northern Ave. on the harbor near Anthony's Pier 4. I would get off work very late and many times would stop at Ken's on Boylston for a late night bite to eat. It was open til 3 am and I lived within walking distance. I once met Frank Zappa there. He was having dinner with two of his bandmates after a show. I awkwardly went up to him and asked if he was Frank Zappa and he kindly invited me to sit with them and eat. We chatted about music and current affairs - nothing really that memorable about the conversation - but still an interesting memory associated with Ken's.
I used to love Victoria Station! I never went to the location you worked at. I went to the one in Framingham. They had such a huge salad bar and I always liked all you can eat beef rib night.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migrjo View Post
I had and have a soft spot for Ken's having spent many hours there when I was a student at Emerson College. I want to see what's there now the next time I'm in Boston.
I went to Emerson too! I remember passing by Ken's all the time, but I don't think I ever actually ate there. In fact, my entire first year's meal plan choices were a blur. I lived in one of the brownhouses on Beacon that'd been converted into a dorm. I know we didn't have food service in that building. Maybe we ate in the Fensgate? I know for absolute sure that my lunch was off a truck outside the main building, right in front of the Wall. I know the school's mostly moved adjacent to China Town now, but I wonder if that truck's still in business. No one could top his falafel pita sandwiches dripping with tahini.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,468 times
Default Info re: Ken's Deli

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrjo View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman]Does anyone know, or know how I can find, the street address of the long-gone Ken's Deli?[/FONT]
I enjoyed going to Ken's Deli back in the '70s - 80 when I often visited a close friend in Boston. He worked at Copley Flair (card store) which was located next door to Ken's. The address of Copley Flair was 583 Boylston, so Ken's was probably no more than 591. Hope this helps you.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,536 times
Kens at Copley was located at 549 Boylston St. My family owned it and I went to work there at age 12. I met many Emerson students, both customers and employees. It is now a Burger King and Wendy's.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
Ken's was located where Wendy's is now, 551 Boylston Street. Ken opened up a fine dinning restaurant in the new building's basement which later became Mr. Leung's. I found an old photo when Ken banned "Drag Queens" and they picketed the place. They end up going over to Ho Jo's across the street

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Does anyone remember the name and location of a crepe restaurant in the same neighborhood in the 1970s? We used to walk there from my girlfriend's Emerson dorm at 100 Beacon Street. We ate at Ken's pretty often, too, but we were used to deli food from home. Crepes, OTOH, were new and different and we used to go there a lot.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
My 9th grade French class went there. Was it La Creperie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston