U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,081,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Is London, Ontario a bunch of racists since someone there threw a banana on the ice at Wayne Simmonds?
Someone in Montreal did that to Steve Weekes years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 AM

55 posts, read 170,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Don't get your knickers all bunched up. I did put "Hockey fans" in the subject. I know this is not a reflection on the city overall. I really like the city of Boston and love visiting. Unfortunately the tweets are/will be associated with the Bruins which is not fair. The tweets were pretty racist. BTW. Not a Caps fan here.
Bolded emphasis mine. But in your initial post you state, But all of Boston should be embarrassed over these morons.

Why should I be embarrassed over the tweets of a few morons, most of which aren't from Boston and were just running their mouth on social media sites? If Bostonians should be embarrassed over this, then I think everyone should be embarrassed due to the actions of their neighbors, including yourself. Is everyone from Virginia a murderer because of the Yeardley Love killing at UVA?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM

116 posts, read 145,998 times
Why judging a fan base based on the racists makes you no better than them

Allowing your opinion of any social group to be shaped by the members of that group that you encounter is a one-way ticket to bigotville. Much of prejudice is the result of broad, unthinking generalizations.

People need to be judged on an individual basis, not based on what minority or special interest group they belong to, and if you can't do that, you're really no better than the people about whom Joel Ward is now forced to answer questions for the rest of the day.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,983,552 times
I would give this topic a lot more credit if these racist comments were coming from people, especially locals, at the Garden or local bars. But no, they're just tweets from anonymous people (who most likely aren't even from Boston, let alone hockey fans). Twitter is fast becoming a bastion for the ignorant and racist and I stopped paying any attention to the fools spouting off nonsense on that site long ago in much the same way I stopped paying much attention to the comments section of most online news sites.

I see ZERO reason why anyone from Boston need to be embarrassed by these comments.

Thread fail.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM

399 posts, read 369,015 times
Boston has had sports here for many many years and we are always gracious, not poor losers.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 AM

4,219 posts, read 5,281,903 times
Ok. I admit, I screwed up. I should have done a better job at clarifying what I was trying to say. I fully admit that Boston IS a classy city and one I truly love to visit. I visit friends in Portsmouth, NH frequently and I always make them take me to Boston. These tweets were from the fans of the Bruins but it certainly is not a reflection on the city itself. Mea culpa.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
miu

13,034 posts, read 22,440,041 times
While disappointing, I honestly don't think it that much of an offense for ANYONE to use the N word. Black people use it all of the time, so why can't people of other skin tones? Aren't we all of one race anyway? Blacks don't own the N word. And unless they stop using it and buying black "music" with the N word in it, then they should expect to have other people use it casually also.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Way to stay classy Boston (Hockey fans)
BTW... I've found that rabid professional sports fans are NOT classy people, not in the least, and that is true of rabid professional sports fans all over the WORLD. And they tend to be very drunk by the end of the games and then to be resorting to juvenile/grade school behaviour.

And what about World Cup soccer fans calling the African soccer teams "monkeys"?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 AM

589 posts, read 543,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
BTW... I've found that rabid professional sports fans are NOT classy people, not in the least, and that is true of rabid professional sports fans all over the WORLD. And they tend to be very drunk by the end of the games and then to be resorting to juvenile/grade school behaviour.

And what about World Cup soccer fans calling the African soccer teams "monkeys"?
Jeez, now we're all classless drunks, too? I give up.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Jeez, now we're all classless drunks, too? I give up.
So are you saying that when you watch your sports games, you and your friends NEVER ever drink alcoholic beverages during the whole game? What about on Super Bowl Sunday? Is the proliferation of the many sports bars in Boston just an anomaly? Beer and watching sports games is a classic and common combination like bread and butter or peanut butter and jelly on a sandwich. Geesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston