U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM

4,793 posts, read 3,681,234 times
Parts of Somerville, near Davis Square and near Tufts University, are quite nice, but the rest isn't terribly attractive; even less so if you don't care for triple-deckers ( which admittedly I don't like, either). Many Somerville neighborhoods don't offer anything except triple-deckers, with little/no parking, and without much in the way of grass/trees. Thus, I'm not Somerville's best advocate. However, you can find these missing amenities if you know where to look...

Last edited by MassVt; 05-08-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,954,181 times
Somerville is that bad? I've driven through it a few times and thought that it looked like a decent potential place for me to live, a bit sketchy but with more of a "vibe" than other places around here. The housing doesn't seem too bad there either, for Boston at least.

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,954,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Sorry but once in a while I like to feed the trolls. Lighten up.

And when I say tough, I don't necessarily mean "street tough". I am talking about a certain mentality required to survive and endure the hardships. One thing I dislike about Florida (S. Florida in particular), is that while I love the sunshine it seems to attract too many pansie ass types. Give me the cold any day over that.

And for the record I don't live in Somerville and never did.
Uh, I lived in Fort Lauderdale & Miami for several years and I wouldn't call them "pansies". The cold here is no more harsh than the unrelenting heat and humidity of South Florida. Many people have a hard time adapting; I got used to it by forcing myself to be outdoors as much as possible.

Don't call those of us from the 305 "pansies"...just a hint

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:40 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,445,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Uh, I lived in Fort Lauderdale & Miami for several years and I wouldn't call them "pansies". The cold here is no more harsh than the unrelenting heat and humidity of South Florida. Many people have a hard time adapting; I got used to it by forcing myself to be outdoors as much as possible.

Don't call those of us from the 305 "pansies"...just a hint
I'm specifically talking about the people it ATTRACTS, not necessarily the natives. Just because the heat can be unbearable doesn't mean those moving there are conditioned for extreme weather. They see it as a land of sunshine and partying and laze. Those I run into there are often AC bound for half the year, they don't seem very recourceful at all (kind of like how we have plenty of cold wimps up here despite our winters).

I don't know it just seems that when people move down there they are running away from something, and are in for a rude awakening when they get there. Too much TV perhaps.

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:20 PM

170 posts, read 208,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
An opinion is one one thing, but Ms Muffincakes here could've voiced her displeasure in a more tactful manner. Titling a thread "Somerville -where dreams go to die" and stating "It's old, dirty, rundown and basically a ****hole" isn't going to endear you to the locals. All the while coming from someone from who has lived here 2 or 3 months. Yes she does sound like a brat, and the backlash was warranted IMO.

She obviously made a poor relocation decision. She simply needs to admit to herself she make a mistake, stop blaming Somerville, and move on. Not a big deal.
Clearly you cannot read because as already stated, I do not live in Somerville (yet) and live in Arlington.

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
That said, I don't understand why you are moving there if you already have such a chip on your shoulder. Are you a glutton for punishment? There are certainly places I would never want to live in, despite how much others might value/covet those areas-just wouldn't be a good fit. So moving to one of those places seems like it wouldbe counterproductive to my well-being.
I am moving because the commute is ****ing awful and I can't tolerate it anymore. I have never witnessed a more retarded intersection than the spot where Route 2 meets Alewife Brook Parkway. I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to have a highway end and connect to a 2 lane road to get to another highway, but I hope that person got fired. I have never in my life heard of a highway that ends right where it gets into the most dense/congested part of the route. That's insane. Route 2 should connect to I93. But the 10-road intersections are a lovely treat. Gives the homeless people a nice spot to stakeout a captive audience as everyone sits in bumper to bumper traffic that doesn't move.

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM

28 posts, read 62,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I have never witnessed a more retarded intersection than the spot where Route 2 meets Alewife Brook Parkway. I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to have a highway end and connect to a 2 lane road to get to another highway, but I hope that person got fired. I have never in my life heard of a highway that ends right where it gets into the most dense/congested part of the route. That's insane. Route 2 should connect to I93.
At one point the big plan was to have an inner belt I-695 (inside of I-95), with Route 2 being extended to connect with it. But that plan would have destroyed many neighborhoods (including those in Cambridge and Somerville) and was killed by community opposition.

Sources:

Boston's Cancelled Highways
Route 2
I-695

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merwin101 View Post
At one point the big plan was to have an inner belt I-695 (inside of I-95), with Route 2 being extended to connect with it. But that plan would have destroyed many neighborhoods (including those in Cambridge and Somerville) and was killed by community opposition.

Sources:

Boston's Cancelled Highways
Wow, Google has maps of roads that don't exist? Pretty cool! Can we just be honest -- when you look at what the highway map would've looked like with those canceled roads in place, the road system looks normal around Boston and it looks like other cities. Without them, it looks odd. You look at the maps now and something is missing. Route 2 especially makes no sense.

I understand not wanting communities to be changed or destroyed. But the community could've opposed pavement and cars altogether and kept horse and buggy. The traffic is absolutely horrible. It probably wastes tons of money for towns, cities and the state, it probably increases pollution significantly and god, maybe Boston would get a better rep as far as friendliness if the commute wasn't so stressful. The "NIMBY" people really need to shut up sometimes. Those highways would've been great for the region.

Unread 05-10-2012, 06:39 AM

1,855 posts, read 1,657,814 times
Maybe if complain on an unrelated internet forum long enough, someone will change it, just for you.

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

342 posts, read 307,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
The "NIMBY" people really need to shut up sometimes. Those highways would've been great for the region.
Everyone is a NIMBY person to some extent. The only difference is whether it's your land being taken/your property value falling/airplanes waking your baby up every 15 minutes, or the situation is happening to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston