U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM

306 posts, read 535,352 times

Advertisements

Why is this place so horrible?

It has too many ****ing people. The cost of housing here is insane. There is no place to park ever. Parking lots for businesses are a rare unicorn. The roads feel like they haven't been repaved in about 15 years and have probably killed the shocks on my car. It's old, dirty, rundown and basically a ****hole. Despite the fact that it's filled with people, everyone is forced to cram into these stupid multi-family houses instead of having normal apartment buildings like an actual city. If Somerville wants to be a city, be a ****ing city. Aside from that, this entire region was not designed for cars. Cars can't even fit and yet we have people on bikes on the road -- yes, that is safe and conducive to traffic flow. This is the first placed I lived where Google Maps time estimates are useless because traffic is so congested and there aren't any fast routes to anything. Nothing is a short drive, ever. Even with a GPS, if you are taking an unfamiliar route, you will probably take the wrong road because randomly 8 different roads will intersect and overlap in one spot. Honestly, this place is just awful. Boston seems great, but all of these little cities outside of Boston that want to pretend they are not part of a major city? Downright awful.

I can't wait to move out of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,844,819 times
I feel your pain. I went to slumerville yesterday and I couldnt find anywhere to park my car so that I can go to my friends' apartment. Once I finally did, after a full 1.5 hours, I couldnt find the building to his address!!!! I recently bought a nice house in the city of Quincy....it's a city of 92,000, and a hell of a lot nicer than somerville. You could not pay me enough to live in somerville, let alone buy a condo there. The prices of those aweful multi family-plexes are outrageous, and they are ugly. It's overflowing with people who cannot afford cambridge.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM

4,722 posts, read 10,296,688 times
We can't wait to see your whiny self go. Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. (HELLO, how could cities that date back to the 1600's be "designed for cars?") Cry me a river, both of you transplanted brats. What a shame that you're too spoiled to ride the T and too clueless to not have to rely on GPS's. Boo hoo sob sob.
BUT...like bellybuttons, everybody has an opinion and you're of course welcome to yours. You might find a more sympathetic audience in the Yelp forums. (Just sayin'.)

Last edited by goyguy; 05-06-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM

434 posts, read 1,023,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I feel your pain. I went to slumerville yesterday and I couldnt find anywhere to park my car so that I can go to my friends' apartment. Once I finally did, after a full 1.5 hours, I couldnt find the building to his address!!!!
It took you 1.5 hours to find parking?! And then you couldn't find your destination? That's fantastic.

Yes, I agree, you should probably stay out of the popular parts of Massachusetts from now on.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM

306 posts, read 535,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
We can't wait to see your whiny self go. Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. (HELLO, how could cities that date back to the 1600's be "designed for cars?") Cry me a river, both of you transplanted brats. What a shame that you're too spoiled to ride the T and too clueless to not have to rely on GPS's. Boo hoo sob sob.
BUT...like bellybuttons, everybody has an opinion and you're of course welcome to yours. You might find a more sympathetic audience in the Yelp forums. (Just sayin'.)
I've lived all over the country, including cities where I didn't have a car and used their underground transit system. The fact is, this area is the most poorly-designed, most over-crowded, dirtiest, most run-down ****ty place I've ever lived in. The city planner who updated Somerville for the automobile would lose a game of Sim City. This place blows.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM

5,762 posts, read 5,603,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I've lived all over the country, including cities where I didn't have a car and used their underground transit system. The fact is, this area is the most poorly-designed, most over-crowded, dirtiest, most run-down ****ty place I've ever lived in. The city planner who updated Somerville for the automobile would lose a game of Sim City. This place blows.
Is someone forcing you to stay? Again don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It is said that not everyone is tough enough to live in these parts, and you clearly aren't cut out for it yourself. Now when you get back in with Mommy and Daddy in the O.C. or Long Island or whatever La la land you come from at least you can go on about how you "roughed it up" in the big city for a while. And you'll also have a better idea of what you want and don't.

I do agree with Pennyone that Quincy is 10 times nicer than Somerville, yet surprisingly cheaper. All the Cambridge wannabes I guess, maybe I do have something to thank them for after all.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 AM

5,593 posts, read 12,658,318 times
Muffincake, I think you've hit on the crux of the situation with this description: "all of these little cities outside of Boston that want to pretend they are not part of a major city". It's the nature of older cities to have a very urban metro area core that extends beyond the official boundaries of the principal city. Those "inner suburbs" are suburbs only in the technical sense that they are within the metro area but are not the metro's hub city. For all practical purposes, Somerville and a number of other "inner suburbs" can really be regarded as outer districts of Boston. As Goyguy points out, you can't expect cities that are 350 years old or more to all have designs that make the use of the automobile convenient. It's just reality in this old region of the U.S.

So you'd probably be better off considering Massnative's rhetorical question about what is forcing you to stay, if Somerville doesn't work for you. There are inner suburbs that are not as crowded as Somerville. If you'd like some of the conveniences of city living without quite as much of the cramped feel you find in Somerville, you might check out some towns that are more in the transitional zone between urban and suburban in character. Take a look at Arlington, Melrose, Quincy, Watertown, and Waltham for starters. If you want places even less "city" than these, there are options for that as well. All depends on what you're looking for.

It looks as if Somerville simply has turned out to have some disadvantages (by your preferences) that you weren't expecting. That's not Somerville's fault. It just means that you need to find a better fit for your preferences. If you come back here with some detailed info on those--both the features you'd like to have around you and those you'd prefer to avoid--you're likely to get a better reaction from the members here, and some helpful information as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,537,695 times
She posted here back in Feb asking about moving to Somerville with a car. Several members advised against it, mainly citing parking issues, and suggested Medford as an alternative. Obvisouly she knew better than everyone, and moved to Somerville anyway. Now she's griping.

No sympathy here.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM

3,286 posts, read 3,294,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I feel your pain. I went to slumerville yesterday and I couldnt find anywhere to park my car so that I can go to my friends' apartment. Once I finally did, after a full 1.5 hours, I couldnt find the building to his address!!!! I recently bought a nice house in the city of Quincy....it's a city of 92,000, and a hell of a lot nicer than somerville. You could not pay me enough to live in somerville, let alone buy a condo there. The prices of those aweful multi family-plexes are outrageous, and they are ugly. It's overflowing with people who cannot afford cambridge.

I have a hard time believing you drove around for 90 minutes trying to find parking. I have never even come close that that amount while trying to find a spot in the Back Bay on a Friday night.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM

3,286 posts, read 3,294,715 times
Also, have you not ever lived in a major city? Cyclists are always in the road. Where would you prefer them to ride? Down the sidewalks and hit people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston