U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM

56 posts, read 53,817 times

Advertisements

Is it because of the "blue bloods". Descendants of Revolutionary heroes?

It seems even with the housing marketing not doing well in general, I know maybe it is improving but houses are still outrageous in Boston. I also know this isn't the only city. I would never consider living in Philly, Baltimore, DC, or NYC.

I want to live in Boston. I currently live on the west coast but I am hoping to move in the near future.

I have looked into moving in the past and it was always too expensive.

Thanks for the input
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 22,596 times
It just is! Although there are some places that are less expensive.

Does it have to be the city proper or are nearby places like Medford and Somerville ok?

If you post your budget and what you are looking for (brs, house/condo, parking, transport, etc) people may be able to give you suggestions for neighborhoods or nearby cities and towns.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,138,137 times
supply and demand

Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM

721 posts, read 713,278 times
Ocean to the east.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM

812 posts, read 1,485,699 times
Cato and Morris are spot-on. At least for Boston proper, it's on a peninsula, so space (supply) is limited. Think of the other expensive cities like NY (Manhattan is an island) and SF (a peninsula). And demand is high because Boston is a great city with a lot to offer.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,645,045 times
Boston.com did a piece on "bargain" towns. Properties avail under $250k.

Bargain towns below $250,000 - Boston.com

Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM

3,384 posts, read 4,011,462 times
Partially, the answer is the limited supply of land + housing units. Unfortunately, this cannot explain it all simply because there is not some huge influx of citizens into the state or metro Boston itself. At least, nowhere near levels seen in the Sunbelt or even major cities like New York and Chicago.

The less popular but I believe truer answer is that a large tax burden is needed to supply monies for major government expenditures (state + local). Many of the local level expenditures are to support to strong union contracts in the public sector along with strict regulation enforcements including the ever-so popular 'Garbage Gestapo' who will literally leave your trash in bins or bags that are not placed out according to the approved specs (in special bins or bags or 'mixed recyclables').

Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,156,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
supply and demand
^^^ This. We have a low unemployment rate and lots of good high paying jobs in the Boston Metro area. There is a limited supply of good housing and I know that I'd rather pay more to live close to work than to pay less and have a long daily commute. And all that gas, tolls and car maintenance adds up and makes the high expense of living close to Boston well worth it.

Plus add to that all the other amenities like good public schools and access to great restaurants and museums.

I'd rather live here than pay more in a city like Manhattan. I think that Newton is worth it, especially having privacy, a backyard and a view of the river and being only 15 minutes from Boston.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,138,137 times
The thing to also keep in mind is that Boston is not a boom town and it hasn't been in over two centuries. It was superceded by Philly, then NY, then Chicago, then Detroit, then LA, then Phoenix. Some have had better lasting power than others while others are a shell of its former glory. Boston has remained steadily strong, rooted in centuries old traditions while adapting sooner or later with the times. In the process, it has done a great job staving off rampant greed while resisting the temptation to overbuild. When I visited my wife's family in the Chicago burbs last year I felt like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption. Every street of consequence is five lanes and there are cars everywhere. The train from the airport had maybe ten people boarding with me. The couple miles I walked were just about the most unpleasant with no trees and cars roaring by. I passed two other people not driving, an elderly woman and an elderly man on a bike trying not to get killed. No thanks. Chicago is a great city but I'll take the more expensive but sprawl adverse Boston region. This is why I think it's hilarious when people post tantrums about how Boston is not Phoenix, Houston, or Atlanta. These people will be dust Nd Boston will happily chit along being why it is. Let's see how well Phoenix ages.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM

10,088 posts, read 14,181,784 times
It has nothing to do with "blue bloods."
Before about 1981, Boston had a reputation for affordable housing for a city its size.
Then software got invented as a major industry, based all around Boston/Cambridge. A friend's ex-husband wrote a program and had a $200 million company, just one example. Money that didn't exist before was flooding the area and business.
Also, people began wanting to move to the urban environment after years of fleeing for suburbs. Amenities, restaurants (which Boston was never known for before) culture.
The area has long been largely built out, due to the early settling of the area, the barrier of the ocean and the old building up and down the coast (North and South shores). The number of college-age people was peaking, along with the number of colleges in the area. There is no "out there" land to spread into, the way there might be in Phoenix or Atlanta or Dallas, plus, those areas were hardly fully built up when they could spread out. (Although, they lack a lot of sense of what a "city" is).
That's my take on it, anyway. I only started paying attention in 1981, when I started a new career job and started wondering about buying something and watching it shoot past me. Then again, I famously said, "Who would want to buy an apartment?" Not farsighted there, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston