Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,799,909 times

Advertisements

I *may* be moving to Boston sometime this summer, and I wanted to get a grasp on the cost of living requirements that would be needed. I don't need a car (as long as I'm close enough to the T), and am a single young male.

I wanted to get a rough idea of what it would cost for a 1-bedroom place in the area--perhaps Cambridge, Charlestown, or Waltham--and a rough estimate for what the cost of living requirements would be, minus the "frills" of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,805,119 times
Criagslist would be a good place to start to check on apartment rents. I believe the majority of apartments for rent in Boston and Cambridge, etc. are listed on CL. You'll see both fee and no-fee apartments listed. I believe the fee is usually one month's rent, sometimes it is split with the landlord, but not always.

I haven't researched apartment prices in quite a while, so can't say off the top of my head.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,780,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I *may* be moving to Boston sometime this summer, and I wanted to get a grasp on the cost of living requirements that would be needed. I don't need a car (as long as I'm close enough to the T), and am a single young male.

I wanted to get a rough idea of what it would cost for a 1-bedroom place in the area--perhaps Cambridge, Charlestown, or Waltham--and a rough estimate for what the cost of living requirements would be, minus the "frills" of life.
Waltham is a lot different from Cambridge and Charlestown. Charlestown will probably be the most expensive out of the 3, with Cambridge being right behind it (depending where in the city you live).

Waltham is a bit farther outside the city and is only connected via the commuter rail and bus.

It also depends on how nice of a place you want. Like any city, Boston has cheaper apartments, but it all depends on what you want exactly. The poster above and their suggestion of checking craigslist is a great idea. You can also search the various realtor websites for apartments that are available.

Not having a car may make things easier, especially if you want to live in Charlestown given the fact that it is a very dense neighborhood, so parking will be tight.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,010,745 times
re: Cambridge. East Cambridge and North Cambridge tend to be cheaper than the areas around Central, Harvard, and Porter Squares. Inman Square is fun and probably falls somewhere in the middle. Plan on anywhere from $1300-$2000 for a decent one bedroom ("decent" being highly subjective--some people consider anything without a dishwasher to be Third World, others are happy to have indoor plumbing).

Have you considered a roommate? You can get a nicer place that way and it's the norm here for young people.

Waltham might be tougher without a car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston