Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

14 posts, read 31,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am from Upstate New York and just graduated with a degree in Communications. I have the opportunity to rent out a room in Cambridge with a relative.

I'm not sure exactly how much it will be, but about a $12/hour job would suffice to pay my share.

I have to decide within the next two days whether I want to do it or not, and I would move in early August.

Does it sound like a good idea? What are some things to consider? Good places to start networking and looking?

Other info:

-The relative works in finance and is well-established and connected. He tends to rent out his rooms to various interesting people; I would be living with another young girl who works in communications.

-I have a somewhat untreated case of ADD

-10k safety net

-Probably want to go to graduate school for psychology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
In all due respect a fair amount of the federal aid for graduate school is going to be changed soon so you might want to put that on pause for the moment.

Even with a roommate I think you'd need more than $12/hr to make ends meet.

Did you want a car?

Some things here and there cost more than other areas. If you smoke I'd highly advise you quit because the cost is sky high.

For connections I'd recommend linkedin. Connect with people you have as friends, relatives and alumni. I'd do this first because from there you might get other connections (remember the old shampoo commercial "and they told two friends?" same thing)

Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Thank you for your response.

I think that would be enough for at least the six months or so I'd be with my relative, it will be cheaper with him; but how much do you think I should aim for? Especially for when I move out?

I don't need a car. And I have a LinkedIn with some people in Boston already, even if they aren't in my field I suppose I'll ask them for coffee or something.

Could getting a job at one of the universities help me get money off tuition if I wanted to attend?

Do employers do Skype interviews or something ??

I'm sure this topic is covered in other threads, so if anyone wants to link me to any they find to be most helpful I'd appreciate it. Anything about the culture, job-hunting, networking, etc.

My relative is flexible so he said I can take another month or so to make up my mind. Another option I have is Washington D.C. where it might be easier to get a job.

Last edited by serendip1; 05-30-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times
12 an hour would be fine if you have a roommate, it really depends on how much you have to pay per month after utilities, and you have to really budget.

I know someone that makes 9 an hour, lives with roommates, and he doesnt spend on anything except basic necessities, only eat out once per month in a fast food joint. Its not a good life but its still bearable for now.

the biggest thing is, if you want to start a family in the future, you have to rent a studio, then if you have kids, they you need at least a 1 bedroom, and thats when a family definitely struggles. its easier to live cheaply by yourself.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM

it will be hard for me to give up eating out/drinking whenever I want but I expect to have to make that adjustment. and I'm 21 kids aren't on my radar yet, if I have 'em I'll probably end up living somewhere else lol.

Whereabouts does your friend live? Does he use public transit?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,197 times
he lives within walking distance to a subway stop, and yes he uses the T.

I think in the boston area, if you live alone and with roomates, you will do fine. like I said, the biggest peoblem is when one starts to rent a place that you have your own kitchen, bathroom, and front door. The cheapest studios that some of the people I know that rents is 600 a month, in a bad area. if you want any studio thats somewhat safe, by Public transit, its at least 750 a month, its in malden and quincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston