Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job in South Boston. COL calculator says I'd need to be offered about 44k to maintain my current standard of living but that's just "Boston". If I were offered between 40-45k what would be the closest safe neighborhood I could look at? I don't have a problem with having a 2/2 and getting a roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
You can easily live off of $40-45k/year in South Boston. Getting a roommate only makes it easier and opens up your options for apartments.

It all depends on how much you're willing to pay a month in rent.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Oh really? I looked Apts on Craigslist and they were all way out of the price range a 40k/yr salary could do: boston all apartments classifieds "south boston" - craigslist

Is there a better search term I should be using or what am I missing?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oh really? I looked Apts on Craigslist and they were all way out of the price range a 40k/yr salary could do: boston all apartments classifieds "south boston" - craigslist

Is there a better search term I should be using or what am I missing?
It all depends on how much you're willing to pay in rent. If you are looking for a one bed, the rent will of course be higher than say a 2 or a 3 bed where it would be split by multiple people.

I would set an amount you are willing to spend and then think about a roommate(s) option. Craigslist is an easy place to find people looking for a roommate.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

I dont follow TAM, in your first reply you sound as though 40-45k can get an apartment in South Boston and if I am open to a roommate it makes it easier. Your second reply makes it sound more like I would definitely need a roommate. I currently pay about 25% of my monthly on rent and would like to keep it at that or lower (20-25%)

I just put in a paycheck calculator and after taxes on a biweekly 40k salary in Mass the check would be for about 1240 and thats without health insurance deduction so lets just say 1200 biweekly. That means approximately 2.15 checks a month or 2580. So then 25% of that is $645.

What kind of living situation and neighborhood would I be looking at if I didn't want to spend more than $645/mo on rent. (not including utilities)

To put in context right now I pay $487/mo without utilities and that's for a master bedroom with my own bathroom in an 1100 sq ft apartment in one of the safest suburbs in my area. It comes out to right about 25% of my monthly. I'm trying to figure out what salary I'd need to be offered to maintain a similar standard of living if not an upgrade as I am in an entry level position and applying for a mid-career position.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
I dont follow TAM, in your first reply you sound as though 40-45k can get an apartment in South Boston and if I am open to a roommate it makes it easier. Your second reply makes it sound more like I would definitely need a roommate. I currently pay about 25% of my monthly on rent and would like to keep it at that or lower (20-25%)

I just put in a paycheck calculator and after taxes on a biweekly 40k salary in Mass the check would be for about 1240 and thats without health insurance deduction so lets just say 1200 biweekly. That means approximately 2.15 checks a month or 2580. So then 25% of that is $645.

What kind of living situation and neighborhood would I be looking at if I didn't want to spend more than $645/mo on rent. (not including utilities)

To put in context right now I pay $487/mo without utilities and that's for a master bedroom with my own bathroom in an 1100 sq ft apartment in one of the safest suburbs in my area. It comes out to right about 25% of my monthly. I'm trying to figure out what salary I'd need to be offered to maintain a similar standard of living if not an upgrade as I am in an entry level position and applying for a mid-career position.
To put it mildly, you'd need to earn a bit more than 40k, quite a bit more...

You'll need a roommate, and you'll need to pay 50%, or more, of your take-home pay in rent.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:

My point is this: what you will be able to get all depends on what you're willing to spend on rent. If you are only willing to spend $645/month, then you will need to get a roommate if you wish to live in a decent place in South Boston. It's a popular area that continues to see large growth and popularity with the young professional demographic. People are willing to live there and pay pretty high rents. I have friends who live in a 4 bed and pay $725/month without utilities. You can find good deals, it all depends on your situation.

If I were you, I would try to find another person to live with, even 2 other people, to give you more options. I know plenty of people that have moved to Boston from other areas of the country and found a roommate(s) and it worked out just fine.

You have an established budget. I would start scouring for people looking for a roommate and once you get that set, begin your apartment search.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM

TAM88 - I don't have to live in South Boston, thats just where the office is. I'm asking what neighborhoods I should be looking at that would be more affordable but still relatively safe.

MassVT - are there any neighborhoods I would be able to do? Or on the flip side what kind of salary would I need to be offered to maintain my quality of life?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
TAM88 - I don't have to live in South Boston, thats just where the office is. I'm asking what neighborhoods I should be looking at that would be more affordable but still relatively safe.

MassVT - are there any neighborhoods I would be able to do? Or on the flip side what kind of salary would I need to be offered to maintain my quality of life?
I have no idea where you live, but a typical one bedroom apt in the Boston metro area will run at least 1000/month, with or without utilities; if you'd prefer a roommate, then your rental portion goes down accordingly, as there are many 2BR s that will go for 1300-1400; if you have a car, then your expenses will also go up accordingly, esp if parking becomes an issue..

If the salary is indeed 40k, then I suspect that your standard of living will likely decline a little with a roommate, and considerably more if you decide to rent by yourself.

Affordable neighborhoods? You might try Allston, Brighton, Malden, Quincy, all of which are on subway lines. Just keep in mind that there are absolutely no one bedroom apartments available for only $700/month...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM

I live in Orlando metro and I know Boston is much more but the COL converter website I used said 44k would be comparable. I thought it was best to check because never know how accurate it is. Sounds like not very

Guess I'll have to see if they make an offer and then decide if the more enjoyable job is worth it as I really doubt they'll offer me more than that; not even sure they'll offer me that much.

I have a car but I'd probably give it away to my dad or sister if I moved there.

Thanks for the insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston