Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,443 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I am moving to Southie in July for school, and my boyfriend works in Needham. For his commute, Mapquest says it will take about a half hour either by the pike, or via route 9. In your opinion, which do you think would be faster for him? In my experience, they are both dismal at rush hour. Hes thinking about the tolls on the pike every day versus the amount of traffic outbound on route 9.

Any suggestions?

1. What is traffic like outbound on route 9 in the morning? (he has to be at work by 9AM)
2. Would it be worth it for him to take the pike instead despite the tolls to save on gas? (we have a gas guzzler
3. what is the traffic like on the Mass pike outbound in the morning?
4. Any other suggested routes would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
I used to live in Quincy and worked in Watertown (exit 17 off the Pike by the hotel overpass). Once I got through the hell on earth known as the Southeast Expressway, 90 wasn't bad because it's the reverse commute. Traffic started backing up around exit 17. It's still another 5 miles to the 128/95/90 Weston Toll. Depending on where in Needham he works, I'd consider getting off Exit 17, looping around down Centre Street and getting to Rt 9 (or Needham St/Highland Ave) that way With Fastlane, it's a $2 toll roundtrip. There's congestion getting through Newton Centre, but you save on the Weston Toll and, well, there's congestion there too.

Rt 9 isn't bad because it's also the reverse commute, but the trouble is getting to it from Southie. I'd probably take Melnea Cass (by Boston Medical Center) to Tremont by Northeastern and get on Huntington that way. Huntington will turn into Rt 9. But, it's a lot of lights and I'm sure he'll hit traffic before he gets to Rt. 9. The constant stop and go and lights may make the 90 option better on gas and car wear and tear. I just dont' know how rough traffic is getting from Southie to Rt. 9.

It's going to take more than a half hour during rush hour, but 45 min is doable depending on exactly where in Southie and where in Needham. He should try each way a couple of times (with plenty of extra time) and see which one is better.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,443 times
Thank you! weve heard getting off before the west tolls is the way to go. the melna cass route you just described is what he did a practice run on today, and it was 27 minutes. but your right, that will back up quickly. looks like the 2$ pike route is it!

thanks again

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 AM

95 posts, read 269,251 times
Has he thought about the commuter rail? I know some people don't want to be beholden to schedules, and there is also a good chance it might not get him close enough to his place of work, but he ought to at least take a look. In Southie, you'll be reasonably close to South Station, where the Needham line goes out of. There are three Needham stops, all in "Zone 2," which I think with the fare increase next month will be a $189 a month pass. Here are the upsides to this in my mind:

1. No traffic and no driving, he can take a nap or read or play a game on his phone or whatnot. It is also quiet and comfortable (totally different than the T or buses). My good friend does a South Station to Needham Center commute on the rail everyday and he loves it. He used to drive from the North End, and tells me that he could count on showing up to work frustrated, angry, and stressed out (and that was before he opened his email...) at least 3-4 times a week.
2. It takes about 45 min from South Station to Needham Heights, which is the last stop.
3. Although $189 a month might seem steep, it might be worthwhile to break down what a car commute costs you, which might go something like: (a) Toll: $2 roundtrip, so if he does it 5x a week, for 4 weeks a month on average = $40 (b) Gas: Depending on just how much of a gas guzzler you have, if we estimate 18 mpg average (which if he is in stop and go traffic every day might even be a bit high) and if the trip is about 18 miles or so, that is 2 gal per day. If gas over the course of the year averages about $3.50 a gallon, that is $7 a day = $140. (c) Wear & Tear: Even if you don't want to count this in (which you should, because almost 800 miles a month will require more frequent oil changes, as well as a higher chance of something breaking), your cost with only gas and tolls is already $180.

Again, maybe the rail isn't practical for a variety of reasons, but if you have not already you might consider it.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
From South Boston, it would be easy to cut through the city to hitch up with route 9. You avoid 93 and also the tolls on the Pike. Head down Malena Cass and then down Huntington and route 9 is right there. I would expect a solid 35-45 minute commute to be safe.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I'd use the Pike out to work in the morning, then take Route 9 home to save on the tolls. The Pike will ensure a timely arrival to work. Going home can be a more relaxed affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston