Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,236 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm originally from San Diego, but have been living in Los Angeles for the past 4 years. The room mates and I are wanting to move to the East Coast for a while after graduation (2008) and were wondering what neighborhoods/areas of Boston would be the best. We are looking for some fun; ideally we'd like to be in the city, in the action. We would like to be close to many restaurants, bars, etc. How much rent would we expect to realistically pay for a 2 bedroom apartment? How is the job market for a recent grad with a bachelor's degree? Would we be able to afford living there?

Thanks for any help you could give!

And if you can think of anything else I would need to know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
The students are in Allston/Brighton/Brookline/Cambridge area.

A bachelor's degree in what and what kind of job are you looking for...

Rent starts ~$1200.

Check craigslist

boston/cambridge/brookline all no fee apts classifieds - craigslist

Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 AM

Well...two of us have degrees in Psychology and one has a degree in Spanish from Pepperdine. I don't particularly want to go to grad school so I'm not sure that I'll use the psych degree much...we're all pretty open to possibilities.

Can you tell me about the area near Fenway? Are there decent areas to live around there?

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 477,477 times
Brookline is very nice but rather expensive (Coolidge Corner part of Brookline is a popular area). Jamaica Plain is another option, up and coming part of Boston that would have more reasonable rents.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM

I'm not the best person to answer the Fenway question. It has plenty of apartment near by. I am not sure what you mean by decent. Everyone has different standards.

Google search apartment and Fenway.

As to jobs, it is not a good idea to come here first then find a job. I suggest getting a job first. You are moving into a town with 1000s of people with advance degree. The competition is stiff... finding a job...

Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM

138 posts, read 1,002,189 times
I'm so glad you asked this question. You're in my exact same spot (although, I'm from LA and currently living in SD). I want to move to the east coast to get my Masters, but definitely want a cool, trendy place to live that will show me the real Boston!

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Boston is fairly conservative. If you wan trendy... try New York City...

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I'm not the best person to answer the Fenway question. It has plenty of apartment near by. I am not sure what you mean by decent. Everyone has different standards.

Google search apartment and Fenway.

As to jobs, it is not a good idea to come here first then find a job. I suggest getting a job first. You are moving into a town with 1000s of people with advance degree. The competition is stiff... finding a job...

I'll definitely be looking for jobs/interviewing (hopefully?) when I come out in May and I plan on moving out there mid-July. I'm sure also at some point once I'm out there I'll want to go back to grad school but as of now, I really can't see myself pulling out another two years of school.

What I meant by decent in regards to Fenway is proximity to "stuff" as well as just the cleanliness of the neighborhood. Are there T stations nearby? Is it safe to walk around at night? Would it be a fun place to live?
Thanks

FashionD--that's so fun! What part of LA are you from? Are you going to school in San Diego? What part of Boston are you considering? When are you wanting to move out there?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM

104 posts, read 490,276 times
Default Go for it

I lived in Boston when I was right out of school and you do what you need to survive. There are many jobs that you can have while finding out what you want to do with your life...It is an educated town and lots of great places to go so I say go for it. Also the mountains for skiing and the beaches for swimming are within a short drive as well.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagonzal0 View Post
I'll definitely be looking for jobs/interviewing (hopefully?) when I come out in May and I plan on moving out there mid-July. I'm sure also at some point once I'm out there I'll want to go back to grad school but as of now, I really can't see myself pulling out another two years of school.

What I meant by decent in regards to Fenway is proximity to "stuff" as well as just the cleanliness of the neighborhood. Are there T stations nearby? Is it safe to walk around at night? Would it be a fun place to live?
Thanks
Here's the map of the subway. Boston is mostly a walking city. Everything is within a couple of miles. Click on the interactive street map. The other side of Fenway is Kenmore Square/Boston University.
MBTA Subway 'The 'T' > Maps, Schedules, and Fare Information for the Boston Area Subway System

Cleanliness... Boston is an old city. There will be rats size of a small cat. From the west coast, I would assume you'll think it is dirty. This is especially true after dark. However, during the day, everything will look relatively clean.

Safety. When there is day light, the city is safe. At night, you'll learn there are certain areas you should not go to. For example, you should not cross Huntington Ave much (to Columbus Ave... is probably not the way to go). Here's Boston crime map. You will see where murders happens. Just click on different areas.
Fenway / Kenmore: Boston Crime

Fun place? It is definitely lively as there are over 100K students in the area. BU, NorthEastern, Simons, Emmanuel,MIT,Harvard,... They are all within a 3 mile radius. Most clubs are in the Fenway area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston