U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM

38 posts, read 79,099 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

So it's probably an issue all over but I moved into Somerville in January and I'm just finding it crazy after getting another ticket yesterday.

I am a resident, I paid for my permit, I park my car outside my home (or at least nearby depending how busy it is), I try to be conscientious of any obstruction, blocking anything, or even just making life difficult some someone parked around me. After falling to a few tickets, I've read all documentation available online as to parking regulations yet here I am again with nice orange envelope in my hand.

How do you avoid these things?

This one was for being within 20 feet of an intersection. I won't get into what is and is not considered an intersection here but it was pretty stingey.
Admittedly, I counted 17 feet away. But here's the thing, cars are parked there almost 24/7 right up to the corner, including blocking a disabled ramp at times, no tickets, it appears fine to park there.
There is a sign stating cars can park either side of it and nothing suggesting a "no park zone".
If you count a full 20 feet from the "intersections" edge (can the disabled ramp be included in the 20 feet or is it additional?), then the space left between those 20feet and a drive way, which is exactly where the parking sign is placed, does not allow for a car of any decent size to fit at all, hence my 17 feet buffer.

Yet, most days there are 2 cars there in that space, un-ticketed. Which is the only reason I parked there as I assumed it was a safe zone, and all in all was not blocking or causing any obstruction.

Other tickets have included not realizing Somerville started Street cleaning on they day it did. Luckily Somerville sent me a reminder of this, as I had signed up for it... reminder at 10am... went outside, ticket issued, 8.01am... thanks Somerville.

There was also the disabled ramp I paid $200 for blocking, which is, in-fact a dip in the sidewalk for a driveway to a house which was fenced off and grassed over several years ago. Perfectly legal to park there as do people every day.

The fire hydrant that didn't exist (not within the 10ft stated on the ticket at least).

And they aren't cheap either, no warnings, no slap on the wrist... just a $200 fine and we'll see you next week for another one.

Ok, within the very technicalities of the law they found something to catch and ticket me on. OK! But when I am genuinely trying to park my car to AVOID tickets and not cause any obstructions or problems to others, and I STILL get them? How the heck do you do it? Parking is tight and with lots of cross streets, driveways, hydrants, ramps, etc... if you took every rule to the very letter of the law, nobody would be able to park anywhere, surely some ounce of common sense should prevail in what sort of infraction it is, how big it's impact is and is it a first offense or not.

New to the earn, no idea how you'd go about making some sort of a case about this but I presume I'd be wasting my time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston