U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,052 times
Default Cheap housing w/easy access to the T?

Hey guys, I'm a college kid living in middle-of-nowhere MA. I love Boston, but I only visit on occasion so I don't really know the area well. I really want to live with friends when I graduate, and I have a feeling most of us will be migrating to the Boston area for jobs. But I'm worried that I won't be able to afford anything because I'm gong to make next to no money with my degree. I'm okay with not living right in Boston, but it will have to be someplace we can commute into the city from, and since driving/parking downtown is a nightmare I'd rather just take the T.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: What's the cheapest place for a group of 4-6 friends to live in Boston (or the Boston area) that's close to a T stop? I'd also prefer to not get murdered, but that's a secondary concern really. :P

Also, any suggestions on the type of housing we should be looking for? Are there apartments big enough for 6 people? Could we rent a house together or something? I'm kind of clueless as I've never rented/owned my own place, so any and all help is really appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,797,392 times
Six people will be tough and may violate some zoning laws. And trust me, after college, you do not want to live with that many people. You just don't.

Usual suspects for cheaper housing: Brighton, Dorchester, Malden, Quincy....it really does depend where you all will be working. Try looking on Craigslist to get an idea of what's out there for housing and what you can expect to pay.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,299,531 times
6 people is a tough number to find an apartment for. Most apartments don't go beyond 4 bedrooms. Then again, I have never looked for an apartment big enough to fit 6 people. I have lived in a 4 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms, and that was about the max I would ever want to live in.

I would look a little farther outside the city to see if there are any houses available for rent. I am going to guess you will have an easier time finding one in say Cambridge than you would in say South Boston.

The good thing about living with more people is the lower cost of rent, in general.

You could always split up and do two 2 bedrooms. At this point you will be a bit late in the game to find a wide selection for a 9/1 lease. Had you looked a few months ago, especially in an area with high turnover like Brighton, many buildings would have multiple openings.

One thing I would not do is put 6 people in a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment. Aside from the obvious cramping issues, landlords will not be too happy about it. A few years back I had an apartment next to me where 7 people were living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Landlord found out and threatened to evict them if they did not lose 4 people.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,134,954 times
What about Revere Beach (Wonderland Blue Line) or Malden (Orange Line)?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM

6,715 posts, read 7,981,881 times
Malden is a good option. My boyfriend lives close to the Medford line and within walking distance (15-20 minutes to walk or a quick bus ride) to the Malden Center and Oak Grove t stops. He lives with 2 roommates and the rent is $1200 a month. He keeps trying to get me to move in so that we can say that we pay $200 a month for an apartment with a Boston view. The apartment is a little dumpy - it hasn't been well maintained - but the location is right and you can't beat the price. When I was looking to move, there were similarly priced apartments all around. It's a safe, family neighborhood as well.

I would aim for at LEAST $600 a person (without utilities), and anything under that is gravy. If you are willing to split bedrooms, you can go cheaper.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,052 times
Thanks all for the info. I will definitely check out all the recommended places. Luckily I have plenty of time to shop around, I'm planning waaay ahead I'll have to carefully consider how many people I really want to live with too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston