Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

15 posts, read 57,580 times

Advertisements

I just want to add to the others' advice that you have to consider the cost of child care here. Obviously it is not needed for the first year, but when you decide to start working, the costs will be considerable. Even after-school care is astounding. Sure, public school is free, paid by your tax dollars (more tax for better school, so they say) but could run around $50+ per day for your two kids to attend after school care even if you only need it for an hour or so. Plus there's school vacations and a place for them to spend the summer! I mention this because it does not sound like you're going to have family near by and this is my same story too.

So if you decide to go back to work and you are shooting for that 120K or whatever it is that will enable you to buy a home in the "good" school district, I would estimate conservatively $10K of your salary (after taxes!) is gone just so that you CAN work. And this is for school age children. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM

69 posts, read 182,856 times
Thanks again everyone for the advice. Thank you for the specific school info, sftoma. Considering all of the expense, and the unfortunately very low pay of the job opportunity, we took another job in a different state. I guess for now, Boston will just have to be a nice place to visit.

Thanks again, you all have been very helpful.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftoma View Post
I just want to add to the others' advice that you have to consider the cost of child care here. Obviously it is not needed for the first year, but when you decide to start working, the costs will be considerable. Even after-school care is astounding. Sure, public school is free, paid by your tax dollars (more tax for better school, so they say) but could run around $50+ per day for your two kids to attend after school care even if you only need it for an hour or so. Plus there's school vacations and a place for them to spend the summer! I mention this because it does not sound like you're going to have family near by and this is my same story too.

So if you decide to go back to work and you are shooting for that 120K or whatever it is that will enable you to buy a home in the "good" school district, I would estimate conservatively $10K of your salary (after taxes!) is gone just so that you CAN work. And this is for school age children. Just my 2 cents.

Here in Brookline daycares/preschools seem to start at $1,200 per month for full-time care and more for infants. Most of them are closer to $2,000 a month and a lot of them have waiting lists for certain age groups.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingveg View Post
Thanks again everyone for the advice. Thank you for the specific school info, sftoma. Considering all of the expense, and the unfortunately very low pay of the job opportunity, we took another job in a different state. I guess for now, Boston will just have to be a nice place to visit.

Thanks again, you all have been very helpful.

Don't feel like you're missing out. Winters are brutal and can quite frankly be depressing once the Holiday Season novelty has worn off. It's only light out for 7 or 8 hours...pretty much the entire work day and then its dark and dreary by 4pm. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to move to either the Carolinas or Florida.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Don't feel like you're missing out. Winters are brutal and can quite frankly be depressing once the Holiday Season novelty has worn off. It's only light out for 7 or 8 hours...pretty much the entire work day and then its dark and dreary by 4pm. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to move to either the Carolinas or Florida.
the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in boston till I was 14, then seattle for 12 years, and went to florida for 3 months. I hated the cloudy days and just want to see the sunshine for just 1 minute in the winters in seattle, in the summers in florida, there is nowhere to run or hide from the heat. while living in seattle and the drizzleing for 9 months straight keeps people indoors (also the boston cold keeps people indoors) my friend in florida who grew up in seattle wants to come back badly. in the heat, it ALSO keeps people indoors, either stay at home, drive in the car with the ac on, or go to a mall with a/c. you wouldnt enjoy the sunshine much because its too damn hot to do any outdoor activities.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Where 9 months out of the year you are trapped inside away from the muggy, horrifically hot weather? No thank you. There is no weather south of Virginia that is meant for human habitation, part of why I got the heck out of Georgia when I was 18.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM

69 posts, read 182,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in boston till I was 14, then seattle for 12 years, and went to florida for 3 months. I hated the cloudy days and just want to see the sunshine for just 1 minute in the winters in seattle, in the summers in florida, there is nowhere to run or hide from the heat. while living in seattle and the drizzleing for 9 months straight keeps people indoors (also the boston cold keeps people indoors) my friend in florida who grew up in seattle wants to come back badly. in the heat, it ALSO keeps people indoors, either stay at home, drive in the car with the ac on, or go to a mall with a/c. you wouldnt enjoy the sunshine much because its too damn hot to do any outdoor activities.
This is so true. I grew up in PA, but have lived in TX for 7 years. I have never been able to get used to the heat here, and I feel like a hermit for more than half the year in attempts to avoid the heat and the extremely harsh rays of the sun. I'm looking forward to winters again. We're ending up in the mid-atlantic region, so when we get sick of one season, it'll soon be the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston