U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,538 times
Default Looking To Move To Cambridge

I am currently living in Boston and getting a bit tired of living in this area. Lived here all my life. I like Cambridge because of it's diversity, music scene, and culture. I have been looking on craigslist and the apartments there are ridiculously high. Anyone know where I can look for a decent affordable apartment in cambridge. 1400 month. Tried looking for Cambridge newspapers online but that only brings me some other site and not the actual newspapers classified section.

Looking for Central and Kendall Square area. Really need some help and tips.

I gotta get the hell out of Boston. Feel my style is cramped here. My spiritual soul dying living here. Need to break out of this cage......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM

162 posts, read 97,773 times
Have you considered Somerville? I loved living there but moved out because my rent was raised to $1000. For $1400 you might get a lot more for your money than Cambridge. I lived on Spring Hill (VERY safe) and was within 20 min walking to Harvard Square, 15 minute walk to Porter Square and 20 minute walk to Davis Square. I could get to Central Square walking in about 35 minutes.

Don't know if there is that much difference in rent prices, but if there is, consider Somerville. It's pretty great and most parts very safe.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM

No, never considered Sommerville. I want to be right in Cambridge.

Thanks for your reply and input. It's appreciated.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:06 PM

9,973 posts, read 13,673,297 times
I lived in and around Cambridge for a long time. I don't know of any way to find what OP wants. OP's name is "SeekingSerenity," and as much as clearly he/she wants out of Boston itself, many of the urban annoyances/issues are just as present in Cambridge.
I'd live in East Arlington, right over the Cambridge line. Apartments available, no crime, low car insurance, the Mass. Ave. bus. I understand the desire to walk out of one's apartment and be wherever the action is, but that does come at a price. In E.Arlington, you can walk a mile or take the bus or a bike and you're in Porter Square.
The apartment I had two blocks from Harvard Square, a great studio, now rents for some $1800.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Are you saying there are no quiet areas in Cambridge? That the entire city is rowdy? Granted, I don't necessarily have to be in central or kendall square.

Did you say there are "studio's" in Arlington renting for 1800.00?!! 1800.00 is too much money to pay for a studio. Although I will consider Arlington.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't consider paying 1800.00 for a studio. That's ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,332,368 times
Cambridge isn't worth the prices they ask for it. It's over crowded and no different than Boston.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 745 times
I'd look at East Cambridge, north of Binney Street. You're in easy striking distance to Lechmere and Kendall T stops, and easily walkable to Inman, Kendall, Union, and Central with a longer walk to Harvard, the Back Bay and Downtown Boston. Also, buses everywhere.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,661 times
Brightdoglover is right. E. Arlington would probably offer more what you're looking for than Cambridge.
I've lived in Central Square for about 4 years and it's very noisy and not safe. Last year my apartment was broken into, and about 6 months after that we heard a woman screaming; she was assaulted on Pleasant Street. Another woman was assaulted in the same year by the bar River Gods, only a block over. And just a week ago, I was walking my baby down the street and a man was being beaten on the street by the bus stop. They were asking people around NOT to call the cops, it may have been a drug or prostitution deal. It's gotten to be too much around here.
I will miss the diversity and some of the neighbors here, most of the people here are pretty down to earth. But I am looking forward to moving.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,896,833 times
Money for money, I have to agree with others about looking to E. Arlington over Cambridge. Rents in Cambridge are outrageous for what you get. Choose a good place in E Arlington and take the bus in. Very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston