Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,415 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

I am a 26 years old man. My girlfriend is a US citizen and we are getting married soon and I will move from Sweden to the US in 2 months.

Currently I have completed my master degree in Electric Power Engineering from a very well-known European university. However, I don't have many years of work experience. I would like to know how difficult would be for me to find a job in the Boston area or a city near that?

Can anyone give me some information about the job market for electrical engineer specially in Boston?

Thank you.

Last edited by m.mobarrez; 10-09-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mobarrez View Post
Hello guys,

I am a 26 years old boy. My girlfriend is a US citizen and we are getting married soon and I will move from Sweden to the US in 2 months.

Currently I have completed my master degree in Electric Power Engineering from a very well-known European university. However, I don't have many years of work experience. I would like to know how difficult would be for me to find a job in the Boston area or a city near that?

Can anyone give me some information about the job market for electrical engineer specially in Boston?

Thank you.

First, you're not a "boy". At your age, you are referred to as a Man.

And, get in line, "boy". Or haven't you heard, there's a recssion here in the good old USA!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM

I have heard from recession, but I also have heard that there is still a shortage of electrical engineers in some states.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 AM

112 posts, read 296,666 times
It's like the recession that never ends, even though you hear on the news all the time it's ended, and that it's back, and that it's ended again, and that it's back again. Who knows anymore. Unemployment is sloooowly dropping but then it can also climb again.

I would say you just need to start casting your net and developing a spirit and attitude that you will use to put you above any other applicants with the same or less experience than you. You need to project yourself as the capable, mature, responsible, imaginative, eager, adaptable, and flexible. If you're all of those things then you're boosting your profile to every company that looks at you.

For the last several years here, it has been an employer's market, meaning there are many more applicants than there are jobs, so an employer can afford to be picky with hiring and set the conditions of employment. So you should emphasize all things that you can that will make your strengths as an employee and team player stand out.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
It's like the recession that never ends, even though you hear on the news all the time it's ended, and that it's back, and that it's ended again, and that it's back again. Who knows anymore. Unemployment is sloooowly dropping but then it can also climb again.

I would say you just need to start casting your net and developing a spirit and attitude that you will use to put you above any other applicants with the same or less experience than you. You need to project yourself as the capable, mature, responsible, imaginative, eager, adaptable, and flexible. If you're all of those things then you're boosting your profile to every company that looks at you.

For the last several years here, it has been an employer's market, meaning there are many more applicants than there are jobs, so an employer can afford to be picky with hiring and set the conditions of employment. So you should emphasize all things that you can that will make your strengths as an employee and team player stand out.
Thanks for your help explanations.

As I wrote earlier I have degree from a non-american university. Do you think this will make the circumstances more severe for me? I mean, are american employers more interested in hiring those who hold degree from american universities?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mobarrez View Post
Thanks for your help explanations.

As I wrote earlier I have degree from a non-american university. Do you think this will make the circumstances more severe for me? I mean, are american employers more interested in hiring those who hold degree from american universities?
I wouldn't think it would be a detriment to you, no. As long as the degree comes from a reputable institution of higher learning, there should be no issue. You should plan to arrive with a good portfolio, containing all your transcripts, information about your cirricula and research, any letters of recommendation or reference, etc. I definitely don't think it would hurt you to approach a local accredited university that grants the same type of degree, and ask them if perhaps yours should be evaluated or if it's completely unecessary to do so. I would think it'd be unecessary, though. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by covering all of your bases. Good luck to you.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM

You may want to check this page out -

Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: