Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,243 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm being flown into Boston for a second interview that I'm really excited about. I live in Wisconsin right now, so I'd like to talk to some landlords and look at some neighborhoods while I'm there, rather than fly back later on. I'd love to hear where you think I should live!

I'd be working at Mass General, which is just across the bridge from MIT. I'd be willing to spend up to 1500$ on rent for a decent-sized 1-br. I'm not afraid of a slightly grungy neighborhood (I probably grew up in worse), but I'd like to avoid college-student-centric areas. Primarily I'd like to live in a place where I wouldn't need a car, though I don't need to be super-close to work (I'm a scientist, not a doctor, so I won't be on call or anything like that). I'm vegetarian, I like to ride my bike, I enjoy loving the neighborhood I live in.

I'm thinking that Cambridge is my best bet, but what parts are full of college kids? Just around the schools themselves? Can you tell that after studying at a "party school", I'm sick to death of drunk noisy undergrads?

Any thoughts on places that would be a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
Default That's a tough one.

Boston is college town U.S.A.

With that being said, if you want to avoid students I would look to live downtown (North End, South End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay). You should be able to get a decent to nice place for $1500 and live around a lot of really nice bars and fancy restaurants.

Gritty 'nabes are tough to find around Boston, I would look into Dorchester or Jamaica Plain. You can get a really nice 1 bedroom for under $1200 there. Most of Cambridge, Allston, Brighton, Somerville are student areas (with a few minority groups thrown in there). Boston is a great city for shopping and fine dining. If you have a great job, you will have a blast.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
Cambridge does sound like a great option for you for multple reasons. First, it would be an easy commute to work as it is on the red line (subway line) with MGH. Cambridge also tends to have a reputation for organic types. Although not as urban as Boston, Cambridge certainly has a ton of culture. I lived in Harvard Square for quite some time before making the jump accorss the Charles to Boston, and it proved to be a great area to live in car-free. For 1500 you should be able to get a decent one bedroom. Areas in Boston I would recomend would be Back bay, beacon hill, and the south end. Beacon hill is old money and representative of old Boston, while back bay takes the award for "fashonable and sophisticated", the south end, although boardered by some gritty neighboorhoods, has become a fantastic neighborhood with great dinning. All three of those areas are Boston's priciest. Although rents will vary, to give you an idea I currently live in the back bay myself and have a 600 sq ft apt which I pay 1700 for (if you catch my drift). Its all about what is most important to you. For me it was a central location, easy access to all subway lines, and being in the thick of the action. I have a TON of shopping and dining right outside my door. :-) Keep in my mind that Boston has over 60 colleges and universities and as such, you wont be ale to completly avoid the students. Even the Ritz towers have an occasional spoiled oil heir whose parents have floated them a condo while they attend BU. All in all Boston is a great city with a ton to offer. Jump right in and get ready ot have fun.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:46 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,698 times
Cambridge is college central. I would look at Brookline, maybe coolidge corner? The area is nice, you can afford a nicer apartment than you could somewhere like the Back Bay or South End.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,243 times
Thanks for the ideas everyone. To be clear on the student thing, I know there are tons of schools in and around Boston, I'm just tired of the kids on the second or third floor of my building peeing or vomiting onto my patio.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
if you want to avoid rowdy students, DON'T move to Beacon Hill! despite the expensive apartments, there are still lots of loud Suffolk students that live in that area

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
In my personal experience, students in Boston (there are tons of them) aren't as loud and noisy as one would think. I have lived in Brighton and Cambridge and never really had a problem with them puking or peeing around my building. I'm sure there are horros stories, but I haven't experienced any.

The area of Boston that is really growing on me is Jamaica Plain. It's a nice mix of grad students, young professionals, hipster types, and ghetto folk. It's getting pricier by the day though..

Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
You're ready for ARLINGTON, check it out and you'll be SO happy you did. It's close to Cambridge, Medford and Boston. It's ideal for you. Look for something near or off of Mass. Ave. to rent for now.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 127,007 times
How about Jamaica Plain? I am renting my apartment, no car needed, walk to T station, close to shops and cafes on Centre street. If you're interested let me know.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 AM

104 posts, read 490,102 times
Default Boston living

If you will be working at Mass General go live at Charles River Park - it's right there and is like a city within the city - nice apartments, stores, tennis club...I love it there! "If you lived here you'd be home now"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston