Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times

Advertisements

Its anyone who was in Boston before the 1990s, My mother is black. She was born in North Carolina in 61, moved to Boston in 62 and has the thickest Boston accent. I have a noticeable one and was born in 1994.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times
Some black people closer to down town in Roxbury and Dorchester have disgustingly thick accent but newer blacks in Hyde Park Mattapan Roslindale and Westie dont have one at all really.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:58 PM

8 posts, read 7,589 times
Default yes

Ive met blacks from worcester, new bedford, Lowell, medford, shrewsbury, grafton, brockton, revere, etc. With Eastern New England/Boston accents. Mostly older or middle aged.

Last edited by montaler; 10-04-2017 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Add to the post.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM

103 posts, read 75,380 times
LOL. This post takes aim at so many people, classes, and ethnicities I can't even take it seriously.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:48 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,369,703 times
I love the Boston accent!

Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,397,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
LOL. This post takes aim at so many people, classes, and ethnicities I can't even take it seriously.
How's that make sense? That stuff all has an impact. Minus the 2017 let's be a snowflake attitude of being insulted by EVERYTHING in the real world that stuff matters. Black people in most "black" areas typically sound like their from the south regardless of where they're from. While Black people out in the burbs typically don't. Same rules apply to white people in poorer vs better off areas just like it does the grammar and many times slang of let's say "working class" white people vs those with higher end college educations. Neighborhood, class, education and yes COLOR often have a very big impact on that stuff. Seeing the correlation doesn't make you a bad person, just means you live in reality. I'm one of those working-class white people that grew up in JP and I sure as hell don't act, dress or talk like people my age that grew up in Wellesley and went to some high end college. There will always people that are the oddballs but in general it fits.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:16 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,529 times
Louis CK, the comedian said it best: There is no such thing as a Boston accent, just a few million people talking really poorly. I roared when he said that being from Boston.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,075,757 times
The brothers from "Car Talk" were highly educated Bostonians with very thick Boston accents. I like the accent too, and I never found it to sound ignorant. Some folks have very elaborate vocabularies carried by speech modulations that have nothing to do with lack of cultural finesse.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,870,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
How's that make sense? That stuff all has an impact. Minus the 2017 let's be a snowflake attitude of being insulted by EVERYTHING in the real world that stuff matters. Black people in most "black" areas typically sound like their from the south regardless of where they're from. While Black people out in the burbs typically don't. Same rules apply to white people in poorer vs better off areas just like it does the grammar and many times slang of let's say "working class" white people vs those with higher end college educations. Neighborhood, class, education and yes COLOR often have a very big impact on that stuff. Seeing the correlation doesn't make you a bad person, just means you live in reality. I'm one of those working-class white people that grew up in JP and I sure as hell don't act, dress or talk like people my age that grew up in Wellesley and went to some high end college. There will always people that are the oddballs but in general it fits.
You have a lot to learn about Southern accents, but I agree with the idea that accent reflects region, class, and education. I'm not from here, but even I can pick up that there are differences between working-class Boston accents, rural New England accents, and whatever you call the upper class Brahmin accents.

it's also true that individuals can modulate their accent depending on context, at least to some degree.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM

837 posts, read 1,217,341 times
I learned in school that the Boston accent is a variation of eastern Norfolk (England) dialect. The Pilgrims hailed from that area. I wish I could verify this. Even if I can't I think it's an interesting theory.

OTOH the British drop their r's if you listen carefully to somebody who doesn't have a *trained* voice. So do we. After all this is New England.

I thought I'd been gradually losing my Boston accent thanks to my husband who lived in the Midwest for several years before returning here (that's where he lost his). Maybe only around him I do. When I talk with an out-of-state friend or somebody who doesn't live in the immediate area they all declare that, oh yes, you still have the accent, and it's obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston