Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is Boston Taking the Lockout?
It's big deal, there is a lot of coverage and a big void 3 30.00%
Kinda missed, some coverage 3 30.00%
Not at all, the Pats, Celtics, Red Sox have made this unoticed 3 30.00%
Like 2004, not a word 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how the lockout is being taken in Boston.
Is hockey missed by the masses? Has there been much coverage and attention? Or has baseball, football pro and college, and basketball made it not a big deal?
Bottom line are the Bruins not playing noticed much or like most other 4 sport cities not really missed at all with the Pats and Celtics among the market at large (not just the die hards)?

In the poll don't answer how much you miss it, rather how much the market is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Is this going to be another thread where you spend the entire time telling us that Boston isn't a "real" hockey town?

I'm not a hockey fan. I like Hockey marginally better than basketball, but don't really follow it like I do Baseball and Football. That said, I have a ton of friends who are hockey fanatics and they're pulling their hair out over it. Like going insane. My facebook news feed is inundated with daily complaints about the lockout and selfishness of the owners, etc. It's gotten to the point where I want the lockout over just so my news feed can get back to the normal stuff like photos of peoples' dinners and passive aggressive jabs at "fake" people.

Here's what Bruins fans are doing (this is from a Celtics game):

There's plenty of coverage too. The major news networks here only cover major events in the lockout (i.e. meetings or announcements of new negotiations, player updates from Europe and beyond, etc), but local sports blogs are going nuts too. It seems like every other post on M******* Sports is about the lockout. Barstool seems to only rarely cover sports now, but there are plenty of hockey updates when they do. So in a nutshell, it's a big deal here.

*edit*
for some (pretty obvious) reason I can't link to www.m@ssholesports.com (replace the @ sign with the letter "a").

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM

116 posts, read 319,882 times
There is tons of talk about it on 98.5 the sports hub. Toucher and Rich said the fans were chanting for the B's at the Celtics games.

I'm focused on the #1 BC Eagles hockey team.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times
I'm not talking about the die hard fans. I am talking about the general media and fans at large. Any city has hockey blogs and hockey fans upset, but most cities (NY, PHI, CHI, DET) that big with other teams, the general media and casual people have not noticed. Is Boston this way?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Just joined a gym in Quincy, and in the three days I've been there, I've seen four people wearing Bruins t-shirts, which is s lot, it seems. Probably never would have happened in the 2004 lockout because the Bruins hadn't won their 2011 Stanley Cup and the sellout streak didn't start until a few years later. Plus, 98.5 The Sports Hub, a hockey-friendly station because they air the games, didn't exist back in '04; we only had WEEI which doesn't talk much hockey then or now, as they air the Celts and Sox. So their flagship talks hockey but the competitor doesn't too often.

Saw a couple of Celtics shirts at the gym, and maybe a Red Sox ballcap or two, but I'm sure the sporting of Sox attire has to be down, replaced by lots of Patriots gear dating back a decade now.

Just get some sort of season in so that the bars and restaurants can have hope...

Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'm not talking about the die hard fans. I am talking about the general media and fans at large. Any city has hockey blogs and hockey fans upset, but most cities (NY, PHI, CHI, DET) that big with other teams, the general media and casual people have not noticed. Is Boston this way?
Not sure you're going to hear what you want to hear. Anyone who knows sports in this town is well aware of the lockout. I already mentioned that I'm a casual fan (and that might even be an overstatment since I really only watch playoff hockey) and I'm fully aware of what's happening. I also mentioned that the general news networks cover the lockout as news comes in. The blogs I posted aren't hockey blogs, they're general sports blogs and cover all four sports fairly equally. In the case of Barstool, it's more of a general nonsense blog with sports as an afterthought and it still covers the lockout. As someone else pointed out, the sports radio stations in the area still talk about the lockout frequently and that's saying a lot given the fact that the Celtics are playing, the Gronk situation with the Pats is big news, and the Sox are in their biggest hot stove season in years. So yeah, just about anyone remotely into sports in this area is very aware that the lockout is taking place. Even my mother who doesn't watch sports at all knows there is no hockey right now.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Yes, people have noticed. If you're asking if people that don't watch hockey care, then the answer is no, they probably haven't taken much of an interest. I would say it is missed more than basketball was last year. I'm sure that the restaurants and bars downtown are feeling it a bit.

I don't watch much, a few games here and there through out the season, maybe go to one and then watch the playoffs, and I've definitely noticed and miss it. It's a shame, the Bruins had a good chances of capturing some more fans this season with everyone so down on the Red Sox. I haven't been to a game of any kind since April. I probably would have gone to 2 or 3 hockey games this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston