Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The inability of African Americans to be productive US citizens is nothing to be celebrated, let alone be broadcasted. Every other group arriving in the US has managed to persevere and overcome being downtrodden and become a US success story... but not so the blacks. Anyway, what black history was covered in high school classes was enough.
Holy Moses. Do you ever think before you type?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
The inability of African Americans to be productive US citizens is nothing to be celebrated, let alone be broadcasted. Every other group arriving in the US has managed to persevere and overcome being downtrodden and become a US success story... but not so the blacks. Anyway, what black history was covered in high school classes was enough.
Wow! Miu, seriously? Wow. That was just so wrong on so many levels.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,642 times
I didn't realize that most black people migrated to US under their own free will. My bad.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Holy Moses. Do you ever think before you type?
I'll take this one: no. Never.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
Quote:
Immigrants who come to the US are usually more educated ones, not peasants and farmers. While it is true that Blacks lag overall in terms of education, they have a different history and upbringing in this country compared to others. The European-based immigrants also suffered from racism and they did rise as the US grew with the industrial revolution. Just as many poor people in Asia have joined the middle class today due to Asia's growth.

But on the other hand, when you have a population that was brought over as slaves, they have a much higher mountain to climb. Even compared to an immigrant from Asia who was relatively better off back home than in the US - they still have the values of education and the intangible attributes to succeed to pass on to their offspring. Remember, minorities didn't receive the right to vote here until 1965 which is less than 50 years ago. Blacks are not coming from a background where they have been exposed to wealth and education - they were starting from scratch at the very bottom. Blacks have continued to rise as generations pass (remember we have a Black President - a huge feat) but wholesale change doesn't happen overnight. When you have people trapped in a cycle of poverty - be it black, white, hispanic or asian - it is extremely difficult to break out of. Look at the world, most of the planet is in poverty. I wish we could just point the finger at people in poverty and tell them to get their act together and it will change things. It clearly won't work and being disadvantaged at birth without the proper surroundings is something most cannot overcome. It takes time, and if we give it another generation or two with support (instead of this "I don't give a hoot about others" attitude) then we can make some real strides here. I don't think you are racist but you are just ignorant to the plight of the disadvantaged in our society.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I feel like on multiple occasions on this forum I've heard people say things like "Boston is a good city for white people", or "white people like Boston", or something along those lines. I just don't understand why people say these things when Boston isn't intensly more white or less diverse than other major US cities, like San Francisco. And I don't think I've ever heard SF refered to as a "white" city. In fact, I feel as though, unlike Boston, diversity is often mentioned as one of SF's strong points.

Boston: SF:

47% white 42% white
24% black 6% black
9% asian 33% asian
18% hispanic 15% hispanic
2% 2 or more races 7% other races
5% 2 or more races

Boston is the second most asian city on the east coast, ahead of DC, Philly, Baltimore, Miami, and is also more asian than Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh.

On the same note, Boston is blacker than Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, and Miami. and its practically on par with NYC, Dallas, Houston, and Pittsburgh.

Its more hispanic than Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Seattle, Atlanta, Minneapolis.

using percentages of course...

-------

So then why is boston a "white" city?

It doesn't have any one huge minority that accompanies its majority, like asians in SF, whites in DC, or blacks/whites in Philly, but wouldn't the fact that it has an even spread of minorities compared to these cities mean that it is in fact more diverse than them?

It has a very white metro area, but so do Miami and Detroit and yet few consider these to be "white" cities. Is there a double standard?

Boston had some race problems 40 years ago, but other cities had similar issues at some point as well.

So if those aren't the reasons, how did this stereotype of Boston being a "white" city come to be?

Also, if you think that few people see Boston as a "white" city feel free to disagree with my observations.
I've heard people say the same about Austin, TX, yet that city is only 45% white. A predominantly white city is over 75% white.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Immigrants who come to the US are usually more educated ones, not peasants and farmers. While it is true that Blacks lag overall in terms of education, they have a different history and upbringing in this country compared to others. The European-based immigrants also suffered from racism and they did rise as the US grew with the industrial revolution. Just as many poor people in Asia have joined the middle class today due to Asia's growth.

But on the other hand, when you have a population that was brought over as slaves, they have a much higher mountain to climb. Even compared to an immigrant from Asia who was relatively better off back home than in the US - they still have the values of education and the intangible attributes to succeed to pass on to their offspring. Remember, minorities didn't receive the right to vote here until 1965 which is less than 50 years ago. Blacks are not coming from a background where they have been exposed to wealth and education - they were starting from scratch at the very bottom. Blacks have continued to rise as generations pass (remember we have a Black President - a huge feat) but wholesale change doesn't happen overnight. When you have people trapped in a cycle of poverty - be it black, white, hispanic or asian - it is extremely difficult to break out of. Look at the world, most of the planet is in poverty. I wish we could just point the finger at people in poverty and tell them to get their act together and it will change things. It clearly won't work and being disadvantaged at birth without the proper surroundings is something most cannot overcome. It takes time, and if we give it another generation or two with support (instead of this "I don't give a hoot about others" attitude) then we can make some real strides here. I don't think you are racist but you are just ignorant to the plight of the disadvantaged in our society.
Sorry, but I think you wasted a good amount of energy typing that. I have a feeling miu isn't suddenly going to change her way of thinking.

You did a much nicer job of making the point I was trying to make though.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Sorry, but I think you wasted a good amount of energy typing that. I have a feeling miu isn't suddenly going to change her way of thinking.

You did a much nicer job of making the point I was trying to make though.
Yup dont feel the need to even respond to such uneducated filth myself, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion

Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
To be fair, black immigrants ages 24-35 outpace every group except Asians in Education attainment in the US and immigrants from Africa outpace all groups, including native born.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
To be fair, black immigrants ages 24-35 outpace every group except Asians in Education attainment in the US and immigrants from Africa outpace all groups, including native born.
This is true. And African immigrants have about a 95% high school graduation rate. The second highest? Asian immigrants at about 75%. Then Europeans about 72%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston