Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,383,695 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just moved to Boston two days ago and I'm just wondering about your opinions of Catholic parishes in the area. Which would you recommend for someone looking for a more socially progressive (i.e. not pre-occupied with sexuality/gender issues) parish that still maintains a lot traditional liturgical/musical practices? Somewhere with good music is pretty important to me because I love singing and would consider joining a choir.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM

289 posts, read 566,374 times
Haven't been there in quite a while but St. Cecilia's in the South End used to be terrific.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,410,448 times
Can you define "Boston"? Boston Proper? Or an outlying Boston neighborhood? If so which one? Doubt you'd want to drive from West Roxbury to East Boston for church!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM

316 posts, read 721,375 times
Yes, some geographic parameters would help.

While not a parish, St Anthony Shrine on Arch Street is wonderful and welcoming and worth a visit. My own parish, Immaculate Conception in Everett, is welcoming in its own way and has a lot going on. If you live in the Malden-Everett-Chelsea area, it might be worthwhile for you to check out. If you're out Brighton-Allston way, go to St Ignatius at Boston College. They have a lot of social justice stuff going on there as well as a great music ministry. Another great parish is St Paul in Cambridge, near Harvard Square. But it would definitely help to know where you reside. Hope this is helpful.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,383,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Yes, some geographic parameters would help.

While not a parish, St Anthony Shrine on Arch Street is wonderful and welcoming and worth a visit. My own parish, Immaculate Conception in Everett, is welcoming in its own way and has a lot going on. If you live in the Malden-Everett-Chelsea area, it might be worthwhile for you to check out. If you're out Brighton-Allston way, go to St Ignatius at Boston College. They have a lot of social justice stuff going on there as well as a great music ministry. Another great parish is St Paul in Cambridge, near Harvard Square. But it would definitely help to know where you reside. Hope this is helpful.
St. Ignatius sounds like a good place, I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for the advice! I like in Brighton, but I'm not opposed to going to a parish that's a bit away, though I guess preferably in or close to Boston proper. I like making my Sundays a nice weekend event!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM

866 posts, read 2,622,952 times
Definitely visit St. Cecilia's, which is in the southwest part Back Bay at 18 Belvidere Street. The 9:30am and 11:15am masses are especially nice, and during the school year they have 6pm Sunday evening mass as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

289 posts, read 566,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Definitely visit St. Cecilia's, which is in the southwest part Back Bay at 18 Belvidere Street. The 9:30am and 11:15am masses are especially nice, and during the school year they have 6pm Sunday evening mass as well.
Oops. I tend to mix up the South End and Back Bay

Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM

1,693 posts, read 2,893,920 times
St Clements on Boylston street had some of the best, more Catholic, reverent singers I have ever heard. Most were from the local conservatories so that helped. The mass was NO but most of the hymns were in Latin. Most of the congregation was 20s-30s and the Priest was a very good speaker

Mass Schedule | St. Clement Eucharistic Shrine

I also attended St Cecelias.. very welcoming but the liturgy was more clappy, hippie, etc. There is something about Guitars and a Catholic church that don't mix. Also they spent a lot of money renovating the parish (20 million) and in the end its kind of a wreckovation.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM

157 posts, read 569,511 times
I am not Catholic, but my wife is and the priest that married us whom I liked very much (really a progressive, funny, affable guy) is the priest at St Francis in Medford. Might be a pain in the neck geographically, but I would almost guarantee a tolerant, progressive experience with this parish if he's at the helm. He's about as laid back as it comes. I have only been here for a baptism, so I'm not certain what programs they have for a choir, etc but there's probably info on their website.

St. Francis Home page

Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM

866 posts, read 2,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

I also attended St Cecelias.. very welcoming but the liturgy was more clappy, hippie, etc. There is something about Guitars and a Catholic church that don't mix. Also they spent a lot of money renovating the parish (20 million) and in the end its kind of a wreckovation.
Not sure how it used to be there, but the music/choir is very traditional at St. Cecelia's. I've never seen a guitar there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston