Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Let's not be naive. Everyone knows exactly what she means. She never said that "all AA people are gangsta", as you put it.
Thank you. You are correct, I have never or ever posted that ALL African Americans speak ghetto slang.

And I stand by my statement that blacks who dress and speak gansta will always not be welcomed into communities like Newton, Wellesley, Concord and the ilk where the adults tend to be college educated, have good careers, and who want their children to focus on their academic prowess and get into the top colleges and universities. Those adults deliberately live in the suburbs in order to keep the trash urban culture and other city distractions away from their kids. When I was growing up in Concord, my mother was very diligent in keeping all slang talk out of the dinner table conversations. She wanted us to be aware of the different ways of verbal expression and the effect it has on others. And I still thank her for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And you really believe this to be true? I'm originally from LA. The company I kept was not weak and uncultured. It's anything but. Many were from the Northeast or from other countries, or natives born to Northeasterners or immigrants. The only possible way an Angeleno could be interpreted to be "weak" is that, once someone has become accustomed to the only region, and a coastal one at that, which has a Mediterranean climate, duck shoes and snow shovels are typically not things they want to own.

I like Boston, but I've also lived in Bergen County NJ, across from Manhattan, as a youngster, so I have a good handle on what the Northeast is like. But please don't diss LA. I've never lived anywhere with so many exciting options inside a 2-hour driving radius and which one can avail themselves of almost year-round.

I also imagine LA people as generally being weak, la la land, new age types. Obviously the immigrants which make up a large amount of the population don't fall into that stereotype but Americans from LA are the weak ones who can't survive outside of cities like LA or Miami.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM

289 posts, read 567,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Thank you. You are correct, I have never or ever posted that ALL African Americans speak ghetto slang.

And I stand by my statement that blacks who dress and speak gansta will always not be welcomed into communities like Newton, Wellesley, Concord and the ilk where the adults tend to be college educated, have good careers, and who want their children to focus on their academic prowess and get into the top colleges and universities. Those adults deliberately live in the suburbs in order to keep the trash urban culture and other city distractions away from their kids. When I was growing up in Concord, my mother was very diligent in keeping all slang talk out of the dinner table conversations. She wanted us to be aware of the different ways of verbal expression and the effect it has on others. And I still thank her for that.
While race would undoubtedly exacerbate a problem, so would class.

I was befriended by a woman whose grasp of English grammar is at best tenuous, dresses poorly, and can look on the tough side. We have <nothing> in common in terms of interests, education, background, etc., but I had had both knees replaced, she saw that I could use some help and wanted to provide it. Long story -- I refused because I didn't want to be beholden and *knew* I couldn't relate to her, but she had a heart much bigger than my judgmental nature and it won out. We were together once in a department store and were followed by security. Two white women; one Ivy League and one class-challenged high-school grad who talks too loud in double negatives and didn't fit in. I'd bet if we were a white woman and a black woman, both Ivy League, security would have stayed put.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I also imagine LA people as generally being weak, la la land, new age types. Obviously the immigrants which make up a large amount of the population don't fall into that stereotype but Americans from LA are the weak ones who can't survive outside of cities like LA or Miami.
Keep imagining.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Wow, do you have anything to support that statement whatsoever?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Yes, I know a few Mexicans who lived in LA for a while who are the opposite of weak.

I also have met a handful of people from LA who lived in Miami who the only way I could describe them in a way that is not negative is "They were so LA". I'm from New England so I guess we have different values and way of communicating.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Yes, I know a few Mexicans who lived in LA for a while who are the opposite of weak.

I also have met a handful of people from LA who lived in Miami who the only way I could describe them in a way that is not negative is "They were so LA". I'm from New England so I guess we have different values and way of communicating.
Oh, that's interesting.

I heard some people from LA who said that Boston was a pretty easy adjustment for them and that they shot mind bullets when surprised in the dark. I have also heard from a friend that knows people of the Armenian community in Los Angeles that there is a special Los Angelenos Aztec whoop whoop sound that actually summons an intergalactic wormhole through one's sphincter and that an intrepid group of Time Sailors prevented the 2012 Mayan calendar collapse from happening by putting their command ring fingers one knuckle at a time into the wormhole'd sphincter of one Mr. Alexander Sumner Landry from the Eagle Rock neighborhood of Los Angeles. Given his sacrifices for us and the fact that he went into and is surviving in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STAR SYSTEM that has no resemblance to LA or Miami, you should probably take back your earlier statements. Or so I hear.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, that's interesting.

I heard some people from LA who said that Boston was a pretty easy adjustment for them and that they shot mind bullets when surprised in the dark. I have also heard from a friend that knows people of the Armenian community in Los Angeles that there is a special Los Angelenos Aztec whoop whoop sound that actually summons an intergalactic wormhole through one's sphincter and that an intrepid group of Time Sailors prevented the 2012 Mayan calendar collapse from happening by putting their command ring fingers one knuckle at a time into the wormhole'd sphincter of one Mr. Alexander Sumner Landry from the Eagle Rock neighborhood of Los Angeles. Given his sacrifices for us and the fact that he went into and is surviving in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STAR SYSTEM that has no resemblance to LA or Miami, you should probably take back your earlier statements. Or so I hear.

Okay okay...I'm clearly just thinking about of handful of people I knew in Miami. I take it back.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, that's interesting.

Your argument is invalid because PENGUINS CAN'T PLAY THE TRUMPET!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM

10 posts, read 17,029 times
Thanks for the good points in this thread everyone. I decided to put my money where my mouth is and put in some relocation requests. Also gave a headhunter friend of mine a call and sent off some cover letters and resumes.

Got a few replies already. I'm hoping to be out of this frozen land of New England by the end of February. West coast here I come!

PS: to those who think LA is filled with air headed bimbos, boston is filled with peter pans who attend one of the too many schools here in town. Seriously stop studying to get your post doc in Basket Weaving Studies and get a real job. At least air heads are nicer than smug people whose pieces of paper from 2nd and 3rd tier schools warrant respect. At least Biotech and finance will save this town once the education bubble pops.

Last edited by okyoureabeast; 01-29-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston