Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM

940 posts, read 1,927,681 times

Advertisements

A new Boston reality show coming to A&E. "Southie Rules" is about three generations of one Irish family, trying to keep their old way of life in wake of Southie gentrification.

That should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,076,490 times
Something tells me this "family" is nothing but a bunch of actors. I don't believe they're from Southie.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,078,660 times
I saw the previews for this and had no idea it was set in Boston. I had assumed "Southie" was a colloquial term in the deep south for an inbred, redneck hick who moved to the city. Who knew? I mean seriously, the entire lot sounded like a bunch of 'tards who hadn't had a formal English lesson since grade school.

No, I won't be watching.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM

325 posts, read 484,341 times
I'll give it a whirl.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,025,663 times
Just like with Jersey Shore and the one on the Kardashians, I'll watch one episode if I happen upon it. However, I'm not going to seek it out. I have no interest in what goes on in South Boston. I never have. While Southie is a part of Boston, it's not an important or significant representation of our area.

And there are too many good shows on tv already, so no need to waste my viewing time on watching the whole series of nonsense.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
miu

Actually, I'd rather wait and see Jimmy Fallon's take on Southie Rules. I loved what he did with his Jersey Floor skits.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
While Southie is a part of Boston, it's not an important or significant representation of our area.
As a proud Southie resident, I'm glad to know I'm not an important or significant representation of your area.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,775,873 times
South Boston is nothing like it has been portrayed in the movies. It's an area that continues to evolve and gentrify. Heck, the place has undergone massive changes in the last 15 years. I've lived in South Boston for over 4 years now and things have changed a bit.

I'll watch an episode to give it a chance. But I can only imagine it will be an overblown, false show about how it really is.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
As a proud Southie resident, I'm glad to know I'm not an important or significant representation of your area.
About 22 years ago, I used to work with a lot of older Southie women at the major hotels. All of Irish descent. What a bunch of cackling ole biddies fighting over who got the high gratuity shifts. And then there were a couple of them who would borrow a relative's car with a handicapped tag and use it to park for free all day in a handicapped marked spot. And I remember one of them on a Marathon Day bitterly commented on how the Kenyans always won and referred to them as "jigaboos". Anyway, those Irish Southie peeps never impressed me. Racist and without any morals. In fact, they rather turned my stomach.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I'll watch an episode to give it a chance. But I can only imagine it will be an overblown, false show about how it really is.
Now I've only seen the promo once, but a few things just did not seem right. First the accents. Sounded like only the mother had what could possibly pass for a true townie accent. Second the tattoos. You don't see people here with full on sleeves/tribal tats. People here are pretty conservative in dress, etc. Lastly the exterior of that house house. It was immaculate! No way that's a Southie house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu
About 22 years ago, I used to work with a lot of older Southie women at the major hotels. All of Irish descent. What a bunch of cackling ole biddies fighting over who got the high gratuity shifts. And then there were a couple of them who would borrow a relative's car with a handicapped tag and use it to park for free all day in a handicapped marked spot. And I remember one of them on a Marathon Day bitterly commented on how the Kenyans always won and referred to them as "jigaboos". Anyway, those Irish Southie peeps never impressed me. Racist and without any morals. In fact, they rather turned my stomach.
Typical CD Boston post. "I don't like _____. It's/They're racist."

Get off your high horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston