Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,159 times

Advertisements

Alright ladies and gentleman I currently reside in Miami I have two young boys and a my wife is pregnant (girl on the way).
As soon as we get things sorted out we plan on relocating to Boston, so a few questions if you will all be so kind and honest.

As a Native South Floridian how hard will it be to get employment? I am college educated with a Masters as is my wife.

Secondly for a family of our size what area has the best balance between family friendly and affordability?

What area has the best elementary schools? as my oldest will most likely be in the third grade or so.

Would you recommend renting a home first or trying to purchase outright? what would be easier?

I await to hear all of your opinions and since we are objective right now be as honest as possible about your assessment for a family of our size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Do you prefer public schools in an expensive town or private schools in a cheaper town? Also, what type of work do you do?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,511 times
I'm no economist so take this with a grain of salt, but as Boston is a huge academic center, a Master's won't make you extremely competitive unless you're going into certain industries. Tech and health care are huge here.

For good schools, look around the metro west area. The 3 W's - Wellesley, Weston, Wayland, as well as Brookline and Newton, which are closer to Boston, are good family towns as they have some of the best public schools. Boston Latin School/Boston Latin Academy in Boston are excellent but they start at 7th grade and your kids will have to take a placement exam/get accepted. South of town, Milton and Braintree are good places to look as well. Hope others can add onto the list...

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Do you need to be very close to downtown Boston or Cambridge?

Winchester is a nice town close to Boston, on the commuter rail. Expensive, but safe and good schools. Maybe you could rent there, just for the schools.

Belmont, next to Cambridge, is also desirable. Next to Znewton is another nice town: Needham.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 35,568 times
Arlington is good for elementry (not the 3 w's or Lexington level but still decent) and for taxes is a good value as far as buying a house.... but the market is really hot right now. It's close to Boston, and the last stop on the red line & there are buses that will bring you to the train, safe and surrounded by some nice towns (Lexington, Belmont & Cambridge). Your money may not go as far here though, and rentals on houses go fast. Price range for buying will be a big factor average 3/4BR close to 2000sq/ft will be around 550k with updates, fixer uppers are less but lots of work and contractors are expensive here. The town is very family friendly, there is the minute man bike trail, many parks including Robbins Farm (aka Skyline park--great view of Boston) this makes up for the small lots. Good access to Rt 2 and 95. I'm moving moving soon but we will miss it here.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,655 times
MD, PhD, MBA, MEd --- all dime a dozen here. You're really no one unless you receive a call annually from Stockholm announcing your yet-again-win.

If you have biotech or engineering degrees, you're set. Anything else, and it's the equivalent of an associate's degree in North Dakota.

Plus, folks I've met from the South who don't have family in the North or aren't from the North, are really overwhelmed by how expensive EVERYTHING is.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM

108 posts, read 340,219 times
Default Expense & weather!

Maybe you should fly up there right now and see if you can handle the weather. It's tough, even if you like snow. If you really like winter sports you'll probably be happy but if you don't I'd think again. Even when its "nice" out, you get few days of full sun and lots of wind. It is expensive as well. Don't get me wrong, Boston is an awesome city and some of the burbs are charming. But it is not easy to live there. I just left after 25 years. Living in South Jersey now and love it! Weather is warmer, sunnier and the people are nicer, friendlier by far. I miss Boston, but a few weekend trips in the spring in summer will be nice.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 PM

109 posts, read 329,598 times
I agree with Cold Up North--seems like a visit is in store. You could combine a little "where should we live" research with some fun activities for the kids, including a Duck Tour, the Chilren's Museum or the Discovery Museum in Acton (where we're taking our niece and nephews next weekend). Eastern Mass. has some great towns--it just all depends on what your priorities are, how much of a commute you can tolerate and what you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston