Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times

Advertisements

Yeah it happens a lot. I once went to a Cape Verde club with my buddies from there. I heard more than twice when they left my side "who the F is this white dude"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My very white husband encountered an odd bit of racism in NJ recently. He he was on either the Garden State parkway or the NH turnpike, and got some food to eat at the Church's Fried Chicken stand. The woman taking orders was black. And he noticed as he waited for his order to be done, that all the black customers got a friendly "what can I get you honey" greeting from her, but he got a very brusque "what do you want" from her. He didn't confront her because he didn't want the staff spitting on his order, but he did call the next day to complain to corporate for her unprofessional attitude.

White people love fried chicken too!!
Was it NJ or NH?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My very white husband encountered an odd bit of racism in NJ recently. He he was on either the Garden State parkway or the NH turnpike, and got some food to eat at the Church's Fried Chicken stand. The woman taking orders was black. And he noticed as he waited for his order to be done, that all the black customers got a friendly "what can I get you honey" greeting from her, but he got a very brusque "what do you want" from her. He didn't confront her because he didn't want the staff spitting on his order, but he did call the next day to complain to corporate for her unprofessional attitude.

White people love fried chicken too!!
Maybe the other customers were regulars?

She sounds rude, but to immediately assume she's racist is a bit of a leap IMO.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Was it NJ or NH?
New Jersey. That's where the Garden State parkway is. Miu clearly just made a typo.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM

505 posts, read 583,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttravel112 View Post
Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I mean really have you not seen a black women before? My husband and I came down to Boston to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the W hotel and we planned on walking around downtown Boston to enjoy its art, history and many places to shop. This morning we left the hotel and walked across the street and ate at Panera bread located on Stuart St. Before I start my story I do want to say that I am a attractive black female. I enjoy wearing high end makeup. I love wearing long flowing extentions like most women my age and I love wearing the latest fashion. I said all of that to let you all know that I am use to getting a stare here or there in other locations because people think I'm attractive and like to let me know in a polite way or jesture.

Now back to my experience We walked around Boston and so many people looked at me like I was in the wrong place or like I didnt have the right to be in the places I was at. I was in a Italian restaurant and two white men came and and stared at me as they were walking out the door like I was a alien. I was walking down Washington ave and had a Asian female do a 360 like she was amazed or scared....... wow. Im 5,2 wearing a blazer scarf and louis vuiton purse I must be scary lol I don't get it....I whent to Clairs accessories and the security guard was staring at me and fallowing me around like I was going to steal something. I have been in many Clairs accesories in Californiia,Ohio,Texas and New York and you really think I want to sreel something. .......ok weird

This was really weird to see so many white people and Asian people stare at me like I was in the wrong place. Your probably thinking I must look scary. The last person I was compared to was Keisha Knight, Rudy from the Cosby show all grown up. Now is that scary lol. I did notice most black females in the downtown area wore dreads or an afro and nothings wrong with that. They were dressed in a more casual fashion and if that's what they want to do then thats fine. I was starting to think maybe there not use to seeing Black girls glamed up. But I got dirty looks and people lookd at me like I was weird.

My Parents served in The Airforce My Husband has as well. I have been all over the world and all over the USA. We have even drove through rual racist parts of Utah and Idaho. But I felt more uncomfortable in Boston then any place I have ever been. All I have to say is Iam very very very very happy to be home! People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble. Black people In Boston DO BETTER dont take that crap we are not in 1600's. Your more then just door Men Im still in shock....................
Maybe you just had boogers? Sounds like someone was looking for drama and attention; projecting your insecurities on strangers. You're probably the type that likes to pick fights in clubs too, then blame it on racism.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM

32 posts, read 20,958 times
Although locals don't want anyone to believe it, Boston and Massachusetts is more racist, judgmental and segregated than any other place I've ever lived. Including the cities in several very RED states in the Midwest. Mass residents are hush-hush about this fact and will vigorously dispute it (with insults, as seen here), or will act like they don't know what you're talking about, because Massachusetts is supposed to be this huge mecca of liberalism and elite colleges so they don't want this dirty little secret to get out. It was blatantly obvious even to me in the 20 years I lived there. My town was so white they had to bus minority kids in for school - and not so minority kids could have opportunity, but instead the purpose was so the white kids could see and meet black people, which is just an awful purpose of METCO. You can look up the history of the legislation if you don't believe that was the main purpose - to help the white kids become schooled about minorities. The program also doesn't take income into account - it is solely race based and used to educate kids in towns like Wayland, Wellesley, etc. on the existence of black people. Nice. So, I believe your experience 100 percent and on behalf of my fellow Mass residents, I'm truly sorry this happened to you. I wish I could be surprised, but I have seen and heard this so many times from friends.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
This was my reaction maybe a little histrionic.

I don't think Boston is the best place in America for blacks to live but have trouble believing that Bostonians would really make that big a deal of coming across a black woman (who was possibly the 100th one they saw that day alone).
This reply is exact evidence of the problem. No city should be known as one that's not the best place for blacks, especially a liberal city like Boston that markets itself as such. If anyone thinks this is true, then it's not going to a welcome city for blacks to visit either.

It's infuriating people still sweep this truth under the rug, and hide behind the passing of silly liberal laws. Who cares what laws are passed if residents still only see black and white, and keep these populations so segregated.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Maybe they thought you were as hot as you seem to think you are.

Seriously though, more than 1 out of every 4 people in Boston is black so I doubt that they were looking at you like you don't belong here.

As someone else said, maybe you were too flashy for us. We are fairly conservative in dress.
1 of 4 may be black, but most don't live work or shop where tourists stay. That's Boston's problem, segregation that's existed for decades and is still quietly accepted.

It's sad the OP is being blamed for being successful and able to wear nice clothes. That's a ridiculous justification for what happened to her or how she felt. I agree not many wear fancy stuff in metro Boston, as everyone is struggling to pay rent and can't afford it.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:44 PM

[quote=Britttravel112;28497450]Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble.

This is spot on. Massachusetts locals are very pride filled and don't believe anywhere else could possibly be as good. And if they traveled, they might find out the truth.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttravel112 View Post
Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble.

This is spot on. Massachusetts locals are very pride filled and don't believe anywhere else could possibly be as good. And if they traveled, they might find out the truth.
Just FYI- Post is from 2013 so OP is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston