U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

So my soon to be wife was recently accepted into a masters program in the Boston area (BU), and it would be an ill-advised career move for us not to accept the offer. While her tuition will be fully paid for, living expenses are complete on us. She will not be able to work during her time in school, so it is up to me to find work to support us. We will be moving July/August 2013. So, basically, I need a job, and we need a place to live. I have a Masters in English with 2+ years teaching experience, 1+ years editing experience, and 2 years corporate management experience. Of course, we've reached out to people in her program, and all the contacts we know. But our knowledge of Boston is very limited. We need to find affordable housing near the Green line / Worcester Rail. We will hopefully have 7,000 dollars in saving for the move, but seeing the costs around Boston, I'm not sure how far that will get us without me having work (the distance of the move is also staggering--like, cross country). Any advice on the cheapest (and still safe) areas to live within public transportation distance? Also, any advice on the best way to go about finding work? I want to get into the publishing/editing industry; however, I will do anything except teach as teaching will limit my ability to continue to search for a job in the publishing/editing field should I fail to get a job in that industry initially. When I say anything, I mean anything. Grocery store/coffee shop/ janitor/ food service. This is slightly terrifying as you can imagine, but it is the best move for her. So, I have to make it work!

Pulling the Trigger and Praying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or