Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think Legal Seafoods is a good restaurant, especially for someone who doesn't live on the coast. But I agree that it is far from the best. Neptune Oyster House, B&G Oysters and Island Creek Oyster are my go to spots, especially with out of town visitors. Daily Catch in North End is pretty good for Italian Seafood. I'm never been to Union Oyster House but walk by it on the way home regularly but I've been told it's a tourist trap.
I agree. If someone gave me a choice between Legal and Red Lobster, I'd choose Legal 100% of the time. While I avoid it, I'm not opposed to sitting at the bar and having a beer and a cup of chowder. It's not terrible, but it's also not dirt cheap and in this region (thankfully), there are far better options in that price range. Legal is a good example of what happens when a good concept gets franchised to death.

Union Oyster House is a tourist trap. Sort of, anyway. It's definitely historic and it's definitely worth visiting (even for a local). However, it's not worth it for a full meal which is why myself and a few others recommended going in, sitting at the semicircular bar and having a beer and a few oysters on the half shell before moving on. The Sam Adams Colonial Ale really is a good brew too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
If I wanted to do a 3 day Seafood focused trip in Boston, this is how I would do it, excluding breakfast:

Day 1:

Lunch: Neptune Oyster (North End) Neptune Oyster | 63 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113

Pre Dinner/Snack: Happy Hour Oysters ($1 a piece) Marliave (Downtown) MARLIAVE : Restaurant : Cocktails : Dining - 10 Bosworth Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02108

Dinner: O Ya (Leather District) o ya restaurant boston

Day 2:

Lunch: Belle Isle Seafood (East Boston) belleisleseafood.com

Pre Dinner/Snack: Chowder at Yankee Lobster (Seaport) Yankee Lobster |

Dinner: Island Creek Oyster Bar (Kenmore) Island Creek Oyster Bar

Day 3:

Lunch: Courthouse Seafood (East Cambridge) Courthouse Seafood

Pre Dinner/Snack: Lobster or Scallop Roll from the Shuckin Food Truck (Greenway) Shuck in Truck | Shuck in Truck, Mobile Seafood Truck and Raw Bar

Dinner: Peach Farm for Cantonese Live Tank Seafood (Chinatown) Peach Farm

Other places to consider not listed:

- Bistro Du Midi (Back Bay) The chef came from La Bernadin in NYC, very skilled with Fish. Bistro du Midi

- B&G Oyster (South End) B&G Oysters

- Daily Catch (North End) The Daily Catch

- Mare Oyster Bar (North End) Boston North End Restaurant : Mare Oyster Bar

- Muqueca (Inman Square) Brazilian Seafood Muqueca Restaurant - Cambridge, MA - Brazilian Restaurant | Facebook

- Rincon Limeno (East Boston) Peruvian joint with incredible Ceviche http://www.elrinconlimeno.com/

- If you are going to visit a Legal, try the new one in the Seaport. Solid food and a really nice view. Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 AM

199 posts, read 567,946 times
If you want the best lobster roll in town, Alive and Kicking Lobsters on Putnam Ave in Cambridge. Not exactly on the beaten path, but well worth the trip.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Neptune all the way

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
For those trying to avoid an ever-expanding chain like Legal, at least consider their new flagship in the Seaport area, perhaps.

Especially if the weather is warm...I think they have a rooftop, or is it an outdoor deck? Plus, they have a fish market, I think, unlike their other spots.

Can it really be that bad?

What about Legal Test Kitchen in the Seaport area and the airport? Better than their regular Legal affiliate (for those dissing the chain)?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Especially if the weather is warm...I think they have a rooftop, or is it an outdoor deck? Plus, they have a fish market, I think, unlike their other spots.
Their location in Chestnut Hill has a fish market as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM

What about Turner Fisheries at the Westin Copley?

It's been there well over 20 years, so it should be okay. Went with a friend back then but I'm not enough of a fish maven to rate it. I recall their chowder won some type of those ubiquitous awards, like every restaurant on the planet at least once.

Is B & G Oysters still open on Tremont Street in the South End?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
when I lived in Boston and worked downtown I always would go to Marliave it was so long ago and
I did wonder if it was still around. I also did enjoy Dini on tremont street when I would stay at the Parker House.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 AM

Maggiekate - I believe Cafe Marliave is still around. Perfect complement to shopping at Filene's which sadly isn't.

I do want to mention The Oceanaire. It's been here over five years (?). It's an upscale national chain, claiming award dinning chowder, and mentions an award from Wine Spectator. Seems to have good Zagat ratings.

I think it's in an old bank, so the setting is unique.

It's at 18 Court Street, near the Od State House.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
when I lived in Boston and worked downtown I always would go to Marliave it was so long ago and
I did wonder if it was still around. I also did enjoy Dini on tremont street when I would stay at the Parker House.
Marliave is still around. It's pretty good too. I always ask for a table near a window on the second floor. While the food is good, I like the atmosphere better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston