U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM

686 posts, read 951,585 times

Advertisements

I understand this probably won't be a real popular opinion, but I honestly feel like cycling should be banned on city roads in greater Boston. The infrastructure simply isn't there. 99% of the time cyclists are just horribly dangerous road hazards, severely impeding traffic, nearly causing accidents between other vehicles attempting to avoid them etc. The reality is that most of the roads in greater Boston aren't even big or well-maintained enough for the vehicle traffic they carry, let alone slow moving bikes. This is compounded by the fact that many cyclists (and motorists, for that matter) don't follow any of the traffic laws.

I actually love to bike, and I have no problem with people riding on bike paths, trails, etc. Frankly, I think it would be wonderful if Boston had the roadways to support safe bike travel like several Western cities do...but it doesn't. And in reality, it probably won't anytime soon (if ever).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 5,752,212 times
Boston's streets weren't built for cars. I'm thinking we should ban the cars, and return to pedestian traffic only.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Boston's streets weren't built for cars. I'm thinking we should ban the cars, and return to pedestian traffic only.
That's what I was gonna say.

Mexico City has bikes for rent all over town. (note the Taj in the background is made of recycled bottles).

Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM

643 posts, read 987,519 times
The infrastructure is there; roads are perfect for cycling.

I support more people biking and walking and I think Boston is one of those cities that has put a lot of effort into being pedestrian-friendly (compared to many other cities). Bike friendly, I'm not so sure. In order to get more people on bicycles (the majority of folks who would never call themselves cyclists), you need to have separated infrastructure. Whether this means redoing a road so that it has one-way car traffic + a separated bike lane or closing down certain roads altogether, it will be the only solution that works well in our impatient culture.

I support this because it will get more people biking and drivers of vehicles will be happy because many cyclists will be re-directed to the infrastructure: win-win right?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM

550 posts, read 1,228,068 times
OP: I don't know if you are trolling or are actually serious. Either way, I gave you rep.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,012,082 times
Boston has way more bike lanes and whatnot than where I'm from, but I'm much much much more comfortable riding at home. It's dangerous here. It's seriously just 2 white lines. How does that protect you?

I've switched over to pretty much walking everywhere, which isn't bad. Boston is a great walking city!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:39 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,728,713 times
With decent weather finally here, you're going to see a lot more cyclists. I agree with the OP to a degree. I also agree with the suggestion that some roads be closed to cars and made into dedicated bike lanes to separate traffic. Most roads, especially north of the city, are too narrow, too poorly marked, and have too many blind spots and dangerous intersections to risk cycling in traffic.

In another city, I used to commute up to 15 miles to work by bicycle. Here in Boston, though, I won't even make the 2 mile ride to the train (or the 8 mile ride to work) anymore. The infrastructure is just in too bad of a shape, and the roads are too crazy. I'll ride to the store or a few miles to get to a square, but only when I can take empty neighborhood streets or a dedicated bikeway.

Commuting at high speed on a bike in this town on regular surface streets is suicide. Nobody checks their mirrors before flinging their door open into traffic, nobody looks at cross-traffic or comes to a complete stop before turning right on red. Look at the number of cars with fender damage. If that had been a cyclist-on-car collision, those dents would signify a fatality. I recognized that and stopped riding before I got seriously injured.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM

544 posts, read 1,290,358 times
It used to be 100 points for boinking a cyclist with your door as you pass one and open it quickly

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM

11,291 posts, read 19,854,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Seconded.

Boston could learn from cities like Montreal, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, etc. where designated big right of ways (ROWs) are common. They often come at the expense of some on-street parking or one lane of traffic, but we can afford that on many of our streets.

Boston is one of only a handful of cities in the U.S. that was largely built up before the car. Making Boston "car friendly" would mean investing billions in construction and destruction. Worse, it would destroy many of the things that make Boston so unique. Boston will never be a car friendly place. The best thing we can do is improve other means of transit so that people don't feel they need to bring their cars into the center of the city.

I will say this: many Bikers do disregard the rules of the road. I'd like to see a bit more done to curtail that. Still, the roads are not and never have been for "cars only." You're going to have to deal with sharing it.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,358,597 times
I ride through the city for work daily, mainly on slow moving and busier roads like Boylston, Newbury, Washington, Tremont and find it to be relatively safe as long as you are extremely aware of your surroundings, check behind yourself before moving lanes, make yourself visible in the lane you're in and NEVER slow or stop suddenly without warning. Many of Boston's streets are extremely slow moving traffic which is nice (a cyclist can keep up or travel faster than the cars on these roads most of the time) and drivers and pedestrians seem to be very wary of cyclists.

I've actually noticed that as a cyclist I literally have people RUNNING out of my way as I come down the road, something I never experience as a driver in Boston. Can't tell you how many times I've had a green light only to have a group of drunk idiots waddle across the road in front of me...

I can't say it isn't a little dangerous though. I've scraped a car door once and had a couple close calls with cars pulling out suddenly or cars cutting extremely close in front of me. I'd certainly love to see more infastructure for cyclists but until then I don't think it should be banned... Driving in Boston is already an overpriced mess and the public transport is relatively mediocre. One of the best things about the city's layout is that it's small enough that a bike makes every little corner readily and freely accessible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston