Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM

2,717 posts, read 5,354,783 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I got some great advice for a friend that's traveling to Milton this summer and now I have my own trip to plan.

I'll be attending a conference at Harvard in early July and will be staying at the Days Inn on Soldiers Field Road. It looks to be about two miles (24 minutes) from Harvard station on a map and it looks like the number 86 bus is about a block from the hotel and will get me there. Do I need the NY equivalent of a Metrocard, which is a prepaid card to swipe on public transportation or can I pay in bills or coins? How much is the fare?

Thanks very much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM

132 posts, read 544,856 times
You can pay bus fares in cash/change, but the card is more convenient, and if you will be using the trains at all, you will need a card for that. If you are staying for any length of time, and want to do a bit of exploring, probably the most effective thing and easiest thing would be to get yourself a weekly pass that will cover both the trains (T, not commuter rail) and the bus.

Day/Week LinkPass
$11.00
for 1 day
$18.00 for 7 days
Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Inner Harbor Ferry, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A.
7-Day Pass valid for 7 days from the date and time of purchase.

You will need to get yourself to a location where you can buy one of these.

It's been so long since I've paid cash for the bus I can't recall what it is... either $1.50 or $2 per trip?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I will be traveling on Amtrak and getting off at South Station. Can the pass be purchased there or closeby? I will be in town for a week so the pass os probably the best option for me. Thanks for the reply. I will be taking a cab from the station to the hotel when I arrive and depart but will be taking the bus daily from the hotel to Harvard.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,236,102 times
South Station is great place to buy what you need!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM

95 posts, read 269,097 times
Yes, you should see plenty of self-service kiosks where you can purchase any of the passes, etc. The week long unlimited pass is probably your best bet. You can also use a variety of apps, both web-based and smartphone based to check on the buses, which you will want for the 86 bus, as it runs fairly frequently, but also goes on a traffic-heavy route, which can get congested and make a bus that is scheduled to come at one time be considerably later. Just search for Boston T apps, or go onto the mbta.com website and you will be able to find them.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrasaxEos View Post
Yes, you should see plenty of self-service kiosks where you can purchase any of the passes, etc. The week long unlimited pass is probably your best bet. You can also use a variety of apps, both web-based and smartphone based to check on the buses, which you will want for the 86 bus, as it runs fairly frequently, but also goes on a traffic-heavy route, which can get congested and make a bus that is scheduled to come at one time be considerably later. Just search for Boston T apps, or go onto the mbta.com website and you will be able to find them.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston