Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times

Advertisements

I moved here 2 years ago from Atlanta, GA so the weather there is pretty comparable to where you're at. We moved in the middle of winter. I was so miserable up here, I just stayed in my apt and blasted the heat. There was no sun outside and no fresh air inside.

The summer was pretty refreshing though -- awesome weather. What Bostonians call "hot and muggy" is nothing compared to Atlanta. We get about 1 week of humid 90 degree weather up here. Just make sure you have a window A/C to get you through that week. I had no A/C this past summer and it wasn't bad except for a week or 2.

My 2nd winter here, I finally got used to the cold and I don't think much about it anymore. The snow is what bothers me, since we only have 1 off-street parking spot and 2 cars. One of our cars is parked on the street and whenever it snows, the snow plower ends up burying my car, and then it freezes into a block of ice so I can't even open the door for a couple days. This winter I'll need my car everyday, so what I'm going to have to do is go out at clean the snow around my car every 2 hours from the time it starts snowing to make sure the plower doesn't trap me. So basically, I think you'll get used to it. It'll take a year or 2 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 AM

213 posts, read 934,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

My 2nd winter here, I finally got used to the cold and I don't think much about it anymore. The snow is what bothers me, since we only have 1 off-street parking spot and 2 cars. One of our cars is parked on the street and whenever it snows, the snow plower ends up burying my car, and then it freezes into a block of ice so I can't even open the door for a couple days. This winter I'll need my car everyday, so what I'm going to have to do is go out at clean the snow around my car every 2 hours from the time it starts snowing to make sure the plower doesn't trap me. So basically, I think you'll get used to it. It'll take a year or 2 though.

I lived in upstate NY (Dutchess County) for 28 years and in NC for the past 13 years. I think it would only take me one winter to get used to it again. Honestly, weather is the last reason I am looking to move to Boston. I SPEAK ONLY FOR ME when I say that at this point in my life, Boston has more positives than negatives and NC has more negatives than positives.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM

213 posts, read 934,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
OMG, yes, yes and YES! This past summer in Raleigh was horrific. I was literally in tears towards the end. I couldn't deal with the heat one more day.

My 2 cents: There is no perfect place. Raleigh summers are like Boston winters in that they last far too long. However; I personally prefer Boston's winters, high cost of living, public transportation system, food, history, beauty, Red Sox, Patriots over Raleigh's lower cost of living and um, um....let me get back to you on this.
p.s. If you were wondering how I can be a Sox and Patriots fan but be originally from upstate NY, it is because I have been dating a life-long Boston fan for the past 8 and 1/2 years. He stole my heart and so did the Red Sox!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 AM

702 posts, read 3,004,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
What part of Northern Europe are you in right now? It's usually about the same weather as Boston unless you go north of Oslo/Stockholm.
I'm in Uppsala. It seems that Stockholm gets cooler about a month earlier than Boston. Summers are generally much cooler. We've had an unusually cold summer, chilly and rainy, and the fall has been from what I hear, typical, miserable with barely any sun hovering below 5 degree Celsius. We've already had some snow already.

You should not have any trouble adjusting to Boston weather. It seems that most Swedes love snow because they take advantage by going skiing, skating etc. I'm adjusting to the fact that even if it is miserable and rainy you still put on a rain coat and go hiking. If you wait for the perfect weather, you'll never go out and enjoy life. Americans are generally a bunch of whiners when it comes to weather. We need the perfect temps and weather to venture outdoors. In Europe people just accept it and deal with it.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM

646 posts, read 1,784,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
I'm in Uppsala. It seems that Stockholm gets cooler about a month earlier than Boston. Summers are generally much cooler. We've had an unusually cold summer, chilly and rainy, and the fall has been from what I hear, typical, miserable with barely any sun hovering below 5 degree Celsius. We've already had some snow already.

You should not have any trouble adjusting to Boston weather. It seems that most Swedes love snow because they take advantage by going skiing, skating etc. I'm adjusting to the fact that even if it is miserable and rainy you still put on a rain coat and go hiking. If you wait for the perfect weather, you'll never go out and enjoy life. Americans are generally a bunch of whiners when it comes to weather. We need the perfect temps and weather to venture outdoors. In Europe people just accept it and deal with it.
Ah Uppsala, my cousin lives there and I think it is a nice college town. I have probably been in the US too long to remember how short the summers really are in Sweden :-)

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Sweden despite the weather - just remember "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing" (a Swedish proverb).

Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 AM

702 posts, read 3,004,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I hope you are enjoying your stay in Sweden despite the weather - just remember "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing" (a Swedish proverb).
Speaking of weather, it snowed (3 inches) today about a month earlier than I expected. Thanks for reminding me that I need to go shopping

Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
The nice thing about boston is it gets four beautiful seasons, unlike places like Southern California.
This is what we're stuck with today:

Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 AM

158 posts, read 544,064 times
I agree with others that it is an adjustment. I dated a girl from the South and she really never got over how I never wore jackets. January and February are the only cold months to me. March sucks because its dreary and you cant wait for spring.

Spring is great because people really bust out. There is a real anticipation. Summer is really nice. Fall is fine and refreshing and I like one or two snow storms and a little winter to change things up. So I like December.

But January through March can suck. Its tough if you never drove in it before. Get AAA, rotate tires, auto jumper, ice scrapers for your car... Be prepared to budget for heat if your not from here, it can get high. The rest just adjust and buy on the fly.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,196,218 times
How does Boston's weather compare with Washington DC's?

One person in this thread mentioned visiting DC in the summer and it was 90 and comfortable, contrasted with a stickier Boston. That must have been an unusual day in DC. Typically the humidity is ultra-high and gross. I've only experienced similar or worse in Cancun, Osaka, and Thailand. Is Boston's humidity the type that makes you soak your clothes with sweat in a 10-minute walk? Do you need AC for 3 months or more? Does it keep things hot and sticky through September? In DC, it's the humidity, not the heat, that I'm getting tired of (though I've lived in the DC area for many, many years).

And winter - what is a Boston winter like compared to DC's? We don't typically get a huge amount of snow in DC. A 4-8 inch storm here or there, with the occasional 12+ inch snowfall. Temps get into the 20s and teens through Jan and Feb and it can get pretty blustery, and cold dreary weather often lasts well into March. How much more severe is winter in Boston? Do you get those days in Feb where the skies are blue and suddenly it's 60 or more? DC gets those sometimes, before it goes back to the winter doldrums.

Just wondering how much significant difference there is in weather between the two places.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,177,863 times
Boston is humid in the summer but not to the level of DC. Up here we get hot and humid days but they don't last as long. I remember looking at DC's forecast and being shocked how constant the heat and humidity was. Not everyone has A/C here. If you do, you probably would it have it on off and on during the summer. If you hate heat, you'd find summers here unpleasant, but most of us look forward to summer. Humidity is usually gone by late August, though September can be rather warm. Average July in Boston is a high of 82.2 and a low of 65.5.

Winters are unpleasant. They're much warmer than further inland (like Western Mass where I live or upstate NY) and it's warm enough that the snow doesn't stick on the ground the whole winter. Days 50 or more in Feb are rare, let alone 60. Most days are in the 30s with some in the low 30s. Spring comes later in Boston. The average weather for April looks similar to DC's March. Daily highs in June is about the same as May, though June nights in Boston are warmer than DC's nights in May.

So it's basically a trade-off for a longer winter but nicer summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston