U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM

249 posts, read 360,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I called 'troll' because of the OP's thread count. I have no problem with someone bashing Boston. It's has its faults, as we all know, just like any city. But for a first post? It's the calling card of an internet troll.

I agree Boston's nightlife isn't great. I'm all in favor of extending the entertainment lic til 4 or 6am. For one thing, it would ease the rush for cabs at 2am, and then inevitable fist-a-cuffs that ensue. But it's hardly the 'worst nightlife of any major city'. Again, good nightlife is subjective.

Also, I completely agree with you on LA and SF. SF IMO (I love house music btw) is one of my favorite party/club cities in the country. Great scene out there.
You get a pass this time because you're obviously down like that, but really just sick of people yellin' troll out whenever someone has an issue about a city. The word itself is going to lose all meaning unless it stops getting idly tossed around.

I've started threads that were sincere, truthful, and meaningful, and then I'm called a troll out of nowhere. I hate message boards really.. I'm just doin this til I move then I'm done. Just not worth dealing with the kids on here.

But anyway, good deal bro. All good.

Good taste in music

Last edited by the12ronin; 06-26-2013 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: ......lazy...fkng....typing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM

3,585 posts, read 3,671,819 times
Boston offers some pretty decent nightlife. It's not as good as say Vegas, or NYC. But it certainly is not awful. Miami may stay open later, but for me personally, most of the clubs/bars are not really my scene. I can understand why people think it's better, but in my eyes, it's not.

If The T ran later on Friday and Saturday nights, say the last trains left their terminus at say 1:45-2:20, instead of the current 12:20-12:30.

I would also make last call 3 am on Wednesday through Saturday and the night before a Federal holiday. Give an extra hour for bars and clubs to stay open would certainly help things out.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,389,700 times
Boston is first and foremost city of many universities and students, and many things revolve around it. You do not want parents to stop paying for high tuition because kids have way too much fun. Plus we are lot more conservative and old-fashion than some other places (which is not a put-down, just a fact).
That is way IMO Boston can not venture into type of night-life that some other places take for granted.
It is not bad, just different.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 PM

40 posts, read 79,577 times
It's not awful here but OP has some points.

In most places I've been 1.45-2.00 is usually last call and they'll let you get a beer or two in as long as you're out by 2.30.
In Boston most places are pretty forceable that the place is cleared out by 2.05... so last call is 1.30... although I've been to 1 or 2 places where you can literally order a beer at 1.55 and the bouncer will take it from your hand a 2.00 which is pretty crappy of them, know what they are doing there.

The clique thing I get also... but its not individual cliques, it's more like you are in or you are out. It's a very "bro-ish" culture unless you're willing to go to more upscale places and since I didn't grow up in the fratboy world here, that culture is foreign to me and I don't really feel "in" when around it but I make my own fun.

It could use an extra few places with food at 2am but I've become accustomed to not eating after drinks nowadays since there's nowhere to go here.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,260,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehnlin32 View Post
Since moving here recently, here's what I've noticed:

1:30 last call rule
Forceful and idiotic state laws
Introverted culture
Cliquish nightlife to a fault. no one talks to each other
No clubs to go to after 2 AM.
Very few fun places to go that are 24x7

The streets feel dead early most nights, and there just aren't that many fun places to go. I have a good job here and like the City, but I wish the nightlife wasn't so incredibly bad.
I agree with you 100% but a few townies and yuppies will come out here and disagree with you. Anyone who has lived in a city outside of New England will agree with you. Nightlife here is so bad its depressing to go to some of these bars. I have been to pathetic places down by Copley and Fenway. You would think they would be tolerable, instead everything about the experiences was horrible. I have a better time at home or at a friend's house.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 AM

7,015 posts, read 6,715,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
With public transportation closing down in greater Boston around 1:00 am it makes an extensive nightlife difficult.
You would think some have never heard of a designated driver.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,859,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate28 View Post
In most places I've been 1.45-2.00 is usually last call and they'll let you get a beer or two in as long as you're out by 2.30.
In Boston most places are pretty forceable that the place is cleared out by 2.05... so last call is 1.30... although I've been to 1 or 2 places where you can literally order a beer at 1.55 and the bouncer will take it from your hand a 2.00 which is pretty crappy of them, know what they are doing there.
Every neighborhood has afterhours drink options. You just can't expect them to advertise in Stuff @ Night.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM

11,401 posts, read 16,012,641 times
Having grown up in Atlanta and lived in Miami, Boston is heads and shoulders above those cities in terms of nightlife. Have you tried playing trivia in Atlanta? Come on - I want a challenge!

But if you like clubs, Boston probably isn't the place for you. There's a huge array of nightlife, but clubs thankfully aren't a huge part of that nightlife culture.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,502,109 times
If you're out in a bar or club on a weeknight, you're likely to be tossed out by 12:30. Not sure about Boston city limits, but towns such as Woburn, Burlington, Waltham, etc. will shut down by 12:30 Sun - Thur.

Most cities in the country will have a 1:30 last call and everyone out by 2:00 AM. In NYC it was 4:00 AM. Vegas is round the clock. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot of good that happens after 2:00 or 3:00 AM anyway. I've worked in nightclubs and bars for 20 years in NYC and California, after 2:00 AM there are way more fights and too many people drunker than they should be. Of course it doesn't stop there. The same guys who like to fight in the clubs are now in the diners looking for trouble.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,018,600 times
As a longtime bar/restaurant worker, I don't support a later closing time, and I don't know many in the industry who do. The money gained (which at that point, isn't much) in that last hour isn't enough to offset the the headaches and fact that instead of getting home at 4-4:30 in the morning instead of 3.

Also, to anyone complaining about having to leave at closing time--you have no idea how stringent the Massachusetts ABC is. No place can afford to get caught serving the public past closing time, it's a huge violation.

As for "nightlife" it really depends what you are into. Dance clubs? I guess not. But that's not the way to define nightlife. If you like seeing bands, this is a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston