U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,478,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is ridiculous. The term probably gets tossed around too much, but I doubt it's for the reasons you're implying. In my opinion a douchebag is the type of overly cocky (outwardly, anyway) meathead who MAYBE has a high school education, wears entirely too much cologne, talks way too loud all the time and thinks everyone who bumps into him at a crowded club is trying to fight him. That's a douchebag. He's definitely not "banging the girl I want." Because typically the girl he's "banging" is the female equivalent of him. Most guys I know are typically laughing at the type of guy I'm describing as a douchebag, not stewing with jealousy over who he is "banging" (she's usually a hot mess too). Maybe among douchebags it's 75% jealous, but I'm not well versed in douchebag on douchebag conflict. This is different than "bro" culture which usually involves guys at least in the process of getting a degree. The "bro" is often a lifestyle that lasts only through college and maybe a little beyond so it's definitely more forgivable but still pretty funny from an outside perspective (full disclosure: I was a frat bro in college and wouldn't trade a thing, but I cringe now when I think about how I acted and things I said).
couldn't agree more

I did the whole club thing a few times when I turned 21 but dropped out of it quick. $11 watered down drinks, ****ty music, and douchebaggery all over the place. the bartenders usually suck too and can never keep up. by the time I was able to get another drink again, I had either sobered up or already peed out my last watered down drink anyway. the dudes in there are complete toolbags and so are the women. it's not that I am jealous. most of the chicks in there that were bangable were not worth the drama. plus I was afraid I would catch something from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 PM

27,614 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Yeah, that's too bad. My club experience involved grinding on lots of female hump to Biggie, LL Cool J and Akinyele. It was a glorious time.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,594,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed. Miami is difficult to enjoy unless you:
A) Are filthy rich and want to flaunt it.

-or-

B) Like to pretend you're filthy rich and want to flaunt it.

My best friend went to U Miami and I've done that scene. It's awfully pretentious. Want to talk about stand-offish in clubs? Go to Miami.
I would agree with this.. Miami and Vegas are very flashy superficial cities thats what it attracts rich single guys.. but you sort of know that when you visit those cities what to except.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM

27,614 posts, read 24,814,812 times
So what makes the people there superficial and what makes you not superficial?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,208,750 times
I just wish they played better music at the places I go to.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM

433 posts, read 836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
So then Miami must be full of fake, plastic and dumb people since the nightlife down there is so good. Makes sense.
Pretty spot on actually.

As someone from New England who has spent time in Boston, i speak from experience. Ive spent time in Miami and have lived in Orlando for the past 5 years.

While i can't speak too much on Boston nightlife i can for New England type bar life in general. I find New England people to be more real and open to others then many people down here. I'm sure many of you may find that surprising. Florida is a melting pot of course and the night life is wilder and way more epic. You can really be taken in by the environment.

However i have to admit even though New England nightlife lacks the flair that we have down here, it's more like going to a laid back house party with down to earth cool people. If you just go out with a beer in your hand talking to your friend then of course it will seem "clicky" but if you put yourself out there and socialize you can have a lot of fun meeting new people and actually make a connection.

Down here the nightlife may be more epic and people may feel more approachable, but you will waste a lot of time in short boring conversations with fake people who really have nothing to offer for conversation. The environment is why they go out. They go out to flaunt their status and be seen. They don't go out to meet people. Even if you manage to get into a descent conversation the music or other distractions will drown out anything else. You can meet people here but it's not par for the course on a night out, it's more about the "show".

New England nightlife has that intangeable thing that makes it unique and hard to find in a big nightclub. To me that's just as cool as some big loud club with smoke lazers and a beat so loud that the people you talk to can't even hear you.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 12-03-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM

433 posts, read 836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So what makes the people there superficial and what makes you not superficial?
Well it's been over 5 years since i've lived up there but i've visited a couple times since i moved down here and here are some of the things i've noticed.

Up there people on average are actually way more open to conversation and will even initiate it, they judge you based on how you come off not how successful you look for the most part. Their just out to have fun.

In Miami and even Orlando that's pretty rare. On average if you go to talk to someone in a club or even a bar you are looked at pretty skeptically like your trying to get something because there are just so many idiots down here. Conversation can be like pulling teeth. You only have value in their eyes if it's very clear that you have some sort of high status that can benefit them in some way. For instance if i wear a fitted ball cap down here it's a huge issue for the majority of women i talk to. Pretty superficial and judgemental if you ask me.

Up in New England as long as you don't look like a loser and present yourself somewhat respectfully then your good with most people.

Up there it's a more laid back social type scene. A lot of the venues are more casual and also smaller. So you can chat with a bunch of people and then run into them later if they are cool.

Down here a lot of the venues are very large. If you decide you want to get to know someone you pretty much have to force them to have a long conversation with you. Since the environment is always cooler than you are that's usually not going to happen. You spend a lot of time in short superficial boring conversations, never to see the person again. Even if it was a good time more often then not one of you will just politely excuse yourself and that's the end of it. If it wasn't that great people just get distracted and move on.

Up there an engaging conversation be it positive or negative is usually the norm. Down here a boring superficial dull conversation with a lot of fronting is pretty much the norm.

One thing i DO like about the nightlife down here is that there are so many different people, cultures, personalities ect. Though the culture is very shallow and superficial on average you will ALWAYS run into one or two people here and there that are down to earth, cool, real, and still very good looking.

Up there the best looking girls are more rare. So they have an obnoxious attitude. Luckily i find it cute because those girls are really not all that, but they think they are. So i can laugh it off and don't take it too personally and sometimes we will end up connecting despite it. Since i'm not all about looks i'm open to the more average looking girls anyways so it's not too big a deal to me.

As long as they are somewhat intelligent, stay in shape, and have some sort of cute to them then i'm more about the chemistry we have than needing her to be a model. Most the girls down here look like models to me. So it's just finding the down to earth normal girls and weeding through the stuck up air head status girls, who have nothing to offer to the conversation and expect you to do all the work and pay for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston