Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
As for "nightlife" it really depends what you are into. Dance clubs? I guess not. But that's not the way to define nightlife. If you like seeing bands, this is a great town.
I was just thinking about bringin that up. I have really enjoyed shows at Great Scott, Passim, Middle East, etc. Lots of good music here. I prefer going to shows waaayyy more than going to clubs. If you wanna go to clubs, go to NYC a few times. But I don't know, I just get tired of that scene extremely quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Boston is a bar stool city.. and 1,000's of thread about the nightlife will back that up.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Default alternative to bars

OP, I recommend a change of scenery for you. Beat the humidity, head to the water and hop on a social cruise, preferably with some sort of band for dancing and socializing.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I was just thinking about bringin that up. I have really enjoyed shows at Great Scott, Passim, Middle East, etc. Lots of good music here. I prefer going to shows waaayyy more than going to clubs. If you wanna go to clubs, go to NYC a few times. But I don't know, I just get tired of that scene extremely quickly.
I'll add Ryles to this list. I think they still have social dancing and fun events, last I checked the site.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
As a longtime bar/restaurant worker, I don't support a later closing time, and I don't know many in the industry who do. The money gained (which at that point, isn't much) in that last hour isn't enough to offset the the headaches and fact that instead of getting home at 4-4:30 in the morning instead of 3.

Also, to anyone complaining about having to leave at closing time--you have no idea how stringent the Massachusetts ABC is. No place can afford to get caught serving the public past closing time, it's a huge violation.

As for "nightlife" it really depends what you are into. Dance clubs? I guess not. But that's not the way to define nightlife. If you like seeing bands, this is a great town.

Um, in -your- opinion, dance clubs are not the way to define nightlife.

For a great, great many partiers, they absolutely are a main factor.

Unless of course you speak for the entire country.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post

And in -your- opinion dance clubs are a main factor.

I generally hate dance clubs...full of a bunch of gropey sweaty people drinking overpriced drinks. Yick.

Frankly, I like Boston's nightlife. It's chill, laid back, fun and every time I've gone out alone I've ended up meeting a bunch of people to hang out with for the evening. I grew up in CA and made a few trips out to Vegas every year so I suppose that got the 'party' out of my system... and I always liked leaving the party in Vegas. Now, I head to NYC every few weeks to party with friends and then I get to come home to my little city and not have to deal with the 24 hour business.

If one doesn't like it, they can always move

Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post

You are absolutely right, mea culpa. That was a typo--meant to say that dance clubs are not the *only* barometer of night life. Obviously, plenty of people like them.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And in -your- opinion dance clubs are a main factor.

I generally hate dance clubs...full of a bunch of gropey sweaty people drinking overpriced drinks. Yick.

Frankly, I like Boston's nightlife. It's chill, laid back, fun and every time I've gone out alone I've ended up meeting a bunch of people to hang out with for the evening. I grew up in CA and made a few trips out to Vegas every year so I suppose that got the 'party' out of my system... and I always liked leaving the party in Vegas. Now, I head to NYC every few weeks to party with friends and then I get to come home to my little city and not have to deal with the 24 hour business.

If one doesn't like it, they can always move
Agreed. Every time a night club goes out of business I do a small fist pump.. and think of all the angry people on city-data who want Boston to be Miami.

One complaint I have about Boston is the lack of live Irish themed music. You would think a city so outwardly Irish would have a lot but aside from the Black Rose, its very limited. Just wish there was a place like McKibbins in Montreal.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Morris Wanchuk - have you tried the Burren in Davis Square? They have Irish music at the weekend, but it gets really crowded. There is also the sister bar, the Skellig, in Waltham.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Agreed. Every time a night club goes out of business I do a small fist pump.. and think of all the angry people on city-data who want Boston to be Miami.

One complaint I have about Boston is the lack of live Irish themed music. You would think a city so outwardly Irish would have a lot but aside from the Black Rose, its very limited. Just wish there was a place like McKibbins in Montreal.

Off the top of my head, check out the Burren, the Druid, Brendan Behan, Mr Dooleys and the Green Briar. A lot of the places in Faneuill Hall have live music in the afternoon before it turns to Top 40 later at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston