Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sounding awfully close to the trashiest of the trashy language ala Pick Up Artist crap. "Game" Hahaha.
Why do people assume "game" started with White PUAs? It's like people thinking "twerk" started with Miley Cyrus.

"At night I think of you, I want to be your lady, baby. If your game is on, give me a call, boo. If your love is strong, I'll give my all to you."

That song is from 1996. Women have been talking about guys with weak game in R&B songs for a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do people assume "game" started with White PUAs? It's like people thinking "twerk" started with Miley Cyrus.

"At night I think of you, I want to be your lady, baby. If your game is on, give me a call, boo. If your love is strong, I'll give my all to you."

That song is from 1996. Women have been talking about guys with weak game in R&B songs for a long, long time.

"weak game" and in "r&b songs"

Got it. Case closed.

Quote:
Okay. That's the clubs you worked at. There are clubs where people go and, you know, actually dance with women.

They did where I worked. 95% aholes with aholes. You had to get paid well to put up with the awful music and the non stop d*cks. They were the only places I ever worked that felt the need for bouncers. That tells you all you need to know.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
I know few people now, or in my 20s, that had any interested in dance clubs. Only the Euro and bro types (ed hardy wearing, cologne wearing, well, you get the picture) had any interest in that stuff. Maybe a few percent of the population.
I think you may be generalizing here. I've been a huge fan of house music and techno since my late teens (late 80's), and have logged considerable hours in Boston's night clubs. I assure you, I'm nothing what you described.

With that said, if you enjoy quality underground house music, Boston doesn't disappoint. Techno is a little harder to find here, but that's the case with most US cities. Detroit, NYC and LA being the exceptions.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I think you may be generalizing here. I've been a huge fan of house music and techno since my late teens (late 80's), and have logged considerable hours in Boston's night clubs. I assure you, I'm nothing what you described.
A lot of people who detest clubs (typically because they don't get play) see all of the guys in the club as douchebags and all of the women as skanks. But the people in the club are the same people you see at work, in the gym, at church/temple, at Target, at the farmer's market, etc. And a lot of the people you see in the club are probably filling their "club quota" for the year that night and actually haven't been to a club in a while. This is often the case for visitors from out of town.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:

They did where I worked. 95% aholes with aholes. You had to get paid well to put up with the awful music and the non stop d*cks. They were the only places I ever worked that felt the need for bouncers. That tells you all you need to know.
I can tell you have no recent experience. Maybe in the past this was true, now I'd say it is about 95% perfectly normal people out trying to have fun. And with a lot of EDM the euro/bro/ed hardy types are nowhere to be seen.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Or Miami is difficult to enjoy if you...

A) Have no game;

B) Expect women to fall on your lap instead of taking the initiative to meet them; or

C) Don't have a cool, laid-back, fun loving personality that makes people want to be around you.

Anytime someone blames their lack of success at something on money (or a lack thereof), you can be 99.9% certain they were the introvert in high school/college who lost every girl they ever wanted to cooler guys (aka "douchebags").
You took nightlife and turned it into picking up women. It seems you have an incredibly narrow perspective on what nightlife is (according to what's in your posts it's picking up women at clubs and very little else) and an equally narrow perspective on the people who go out at night (they're either picking women up at clubs or they're introverted losers with a history of bad luck with women).

I never said anything about a "lack of success" at anything, nor did I ever imply that money was to "blame" for anything. You pulled that out of thin air. Miami has a flashier nightlife which is one of the reasons some people favor it over a city like Boston. There's no denying that. There are plenty of non-wealthy people who do wonderfully in Miami. There are also a lot of people in Miami (far more than in Boston) who spend beyond their means in order to appear to be flashy, wealthy and successful because that's a big part of the scene down there. To me, that's fairly depressing. The flashy/ showy thing has never been my style and I've never understood how people go into debt trying to appear to be wealthy or successful. I also never used the word "douchebags," so maybe pump the brakes a little bit with the whole cool kid/nerd rant. It's just city-data, you're trying too hard.

Quote:
(typically because they don't get play)
If you use expressions like "get play," "no game," and reference female r&b from '96, it's no wonder you are tearing it up at da club. Definitely too good for Boston, no diggity, no doubt.

Last edited by lrfox; 10-29-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You took nightlife and turned it into picking up women. It seems you have an incredibly narrow perspective on what nightlife is (according to what's in your posts it's picking up women at clubs and very little else) and an equally narrow perspective on the people who go out at night (they're either picking women up at clubs or they're introverted losers with a history of bad luck with women).
No, I didn't. I was only replying to your suggestion that Miami's nightlife is difficult to enjoy unless "you have money" or "you pretend like you have money." I then said that people who blame their lack of success on a lack of money are usually lacking elsewhere (confidence, game, etc.). It's not difficult to have fun in Miami as a broke as hell 21-year old college student. Some of my best nights in Miami was when I was penniless.

Quote:
There are also a lot of people in Miami (far more than in Boston) who spend beyond their means in order to appear to be flashy, wealthy and successful because that's a big part of the scene down there. To me, that's fairly depressing. The flashy/ showy thing has never been my style and I've never understood how people go into debt trying to appear to be wealthy or successful.
Okay. I guess I've never thought those people had anything to do with me and my fun.

Quote:
I also never used the word "douchebags," so maybe pump the brakes a little bit with the whole cool kid/nerd rant. It's just city-data, you're trying too hard.
I never said you specifically. I said there are posters on City-Data who often rail against "bros" and "douchebags." If you refer to another man as a douchebag, there's about a 75% chance he's banging the girl you want. That's the only reason he's a douchebag.

Quote:
If you use expressions like "get play," "no game," and reference female r&b from '96, it's no wonder you are tearing it up at da club. Definitely too good for Boston, no diggity, no doubt.
I wouldn't be surprised if that song just made it to Boston last week.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
No, I didn't. I was only replying to your suggestion that Miami's nightlife is difficult to enjoy unless "you have money" or "you pretend like you have money." I then said that people who blame their lack of success on a lack of money are usually lacking elsewhere (confidence, game, etc.). It's not difficult to have fun in Miami as a broke as hell 21-year old college student. Some of my best nights in Miami was when I was penniless.
I loved partying in Miami when I was a 21 year old student too. As a 28 year old professional, I'm over Miami. There are some great restaurants, and it's hard to beat the weather in the winter, but the club scene there is so far from my preferences, it's not even on my radar. There's a materialistic culture there that doesn't exist here and it's off-putting to no end. There is a trashy element to the club scene in Miami that doesn't exist to nearly the same extent in other good cities for clubs like New York or LA.

Quote:
I never said you specifically. I said there are posters on City-Data who often rail against "bros" and "douchebags." If you refer to another man as a douchebag, there's about a 75% chance he's banging the girl you want. That's the only reason he's a douchebag.
This is ridiculous. The term probably gets tossed around too much, but I doubt it's for the reasons you're implying. In my opinion a douchebag is the type of overly cocky (outwardly, anyway) meathead who MAYBE has a high school education, wears entirely too much cologne, talks way too loud all the time and thinks everyone who bumps into him at a crowded club is trying to fight him. That's a douchebag. He's definitely not "banging the girl I want." Because typically the girl he's "banging" is the female equivalent of him. Most guys I know are typically laughing at the type of guy I'm describing as a douchebag, not stewing with jealousy over who he is "banging" (she's usually a hot mess too). Maybe among douchebags it's 75% jealous, but I'm not well versed in douchebag on douchebag conflict. This is different than "bro" culture which usually involves guys at least in the process of getting a degree. The "bro" is often a lifestyle that lasts only through college and maybe a little beyond so it's definitely more forgivable but still pretty funny from an outside perspective (full disclosure: I was a frat bro in college and wouldn't trade a thing, but I cringe now when I think about how I acted and things I said).

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

The women I want and associate wouldn't give the time of day to these "fashion conscious", cologne wearing, losers.

Keep telling yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better. You're really proving my point.

It's up there with dudes that think they're "alpha males". The only thing they're alpha about is being pieces of s*** that quality people shake their head at.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
From a West Indian perspective, I find Boston's nightlife actually pretty decent. When it comes to Dancehall, Reggae, Soca and Zouk, Boston is at the head of the line when it comes to touring artists and song releases. The fact that Boston has three 24 hour Caribbean radio stations goes a long way to promoting these events.

I go back home to Jamaica at least a couple times a year, and also have lived in cities with large WI diasporas (Toronto, NYC, Miami and London) and I see the music that is released in the West Indies hit Boston at the same time as it does those WI strongholds.

I am also a huge Jazz fan and having Berkley located within the city limits goes a long way to the live Jazz scene that has remained strong in the area. Plus Wally's is hands down one of the most legit Jazz Clubs anywhere on this planet, and I stand behind that from all my travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston