U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 01:58 AM

28 posts, read 41,591 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

There is a new construction which has very attractive base price(500K) in a very good school district.
Well we were happy to know that there was something within our price range. But to my shocking surprise the upgrades ran like this-

1. Garage door opener - $600 each.
2. Adding rods and wire shelves (basic one) bedrooms closet- $500
3. Upgrading to stainless steel FRONT appliances, not actual steel.- $3000.
4. Patio $3000
5. Paint -$1000 (standard one is all white for entire interior of house)
6. Fan wiring, surround system wiring - $1000
7. Gas range connection- $600
8. Gas dryer connection- $600

any many more.. each light, every outlet and not to mention kitchen upgrades. I feel like builder is providing nothing with base price and trying to rip me off with upgrades. With only the neccessity upgrades the costs runs to 620K for a 1900 sqft home. Please note I am not cnsidering any asethitic aspects (like crown molding, light fixtures, faucets etc).

My agent says builder will not bulge for negotiations, very less room for that as there are many other insterested buyers. Considering how current market is there will be lot of buyers bidding for these houses with upgrades. Unfortunately I have to back off. I so disappointed. I have been looking for houses for past 1 year getting outbidded in this crazy housing market.

Just wanted to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM

2,951 posts, read 4,943,231 times
No one is forcing you to buy this house. If you don't like the builder upgrade charges then move on to another property.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM

21 posts, read 50,471 times
My husband and I also have a friend from work whose going through the exact same process. Every addition costs $$. To be honest, I dont even know the quality of the new constructions these days. Read on websites like consumeraffairs.com on builders like Toll brothers.. Shoddy construction is what many reviews have mentioned. U should be thankful to walk away now. Which builder and town was urs at?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 AM

6,328 posts, read 9,060,835 times
I'm not surprised to hear this story. It must be a large development that you're buying into with a large developer doing the building (ex. Fafard, Toll Bros, etc). This is the way they work. There's a "base model" and anything extra that you want will cost extra. Likely, this is why the base price was so low because they made every little thing an add on. It's good that you figured this out before you signed a contract.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,327,198 times
So many knife-catchers to keep these scums in fur, figuratively. Buy a nice house that you feel comfortable in, and update on your own, at your own pace. And, it's not the end of the world to live with the basics either.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 41,591 times
I am not sure if I can mention the city and the builder name out in internet world. They are not big builders(local builder) and it is not a big development. 5 houses only.

The upgrades are not just plain extra...some Iwould consider them as necessity. Like garage opener , electric outlets in bedrooms etc.

Wondering what the buyer will get in the name of house if he says no to any upgrades.

Sorry if I my words are harsh. I am using this forum to vent out...thanks for support.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM

6,328 posts, read 9,060,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavimommy View Post
The upgrades are not just plain extra...some Iwould consider them as necessity. Like garage opener , electric outlets in bedrooms etc.
I wouldn't call a garage door opener a necessity. It's absolutely a luxury. It's a common luxury but a luxury none the less. I recently saw a new construction listing where the basic house included an opener for one door but the opener for the second door was an upgrade. I don't think you have anything to be upset about here. You said you were surprised to find new construction in your price range but then you were upset when it didn't come with all the bells & whistles. Perhaps, it was in your price range because it's a very basic house. Once you make the house deluxe instead of basic the price is bound to rise.

As for electrical outlets in the bedroom . . . I think there may be some kind of communication problem here. Building code in every town requires there be an outlet every X feet on the wall in finished areas. So, there has to be electrical outlets in the bedrooms or the builder will never get a certificate of occupancy from the town and without that will never be able to sell the house. If you're asking for extra outlets well that's an upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or