U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,076 times

Advertisements

I'm on the verge of receiving an offer of employment in Quincy. Although nothing's guaranteed from the conversation I had yesterday with an HR person, it seems almost certain so I want to go ahead and begin at least preliminary planning.

Some details:
- Single, 25 yr old male
- Salary would be ~50-55k
- No pets
- Don't own car
- Student Loans (slight) debt, monthly probably $500 or so

At first, my naive self was thinking of living in Downtown Boston by myself but the more I read in here the more I think that's not likely. My main requirement is that I live alone (I would be willing to live in a tiny tiny apartment if by myself) and I would like to be near the subway line...I hope that's enough info to get recommendations about where (either Quincy or Boston) to live and where to look and a better idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,903,109 times
Do a search on Quincy in this forum, there's a lot of good info.

Do you have any other requirements besides living alone and being near the T?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Do a search on Quincy in this forum, there's a lot of good info.

Do you have any other requirements besides living alone and being near the T?
I've tried searching for Quincy, maybe I'm not doing it right because I haven't found much (and most I've found are either married or different situation)...As for other requirements, I'd like an area I could feel relatively safe walking at night and that's about it for now...I'm very low maintenance and am easily entertained so don't require much in that regard

Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,740,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqix View Post
I've tried searching for Quincy, maybe I'm not doing it right because I haven't found much (and most I've found are either married or different situation)...As for other requirements, I'd like an area I could feel relatively safe walking at night and that's about it for now...I'm very low maintenance and am easily entertained so don't require much in that regard
Agree with raveabouttoast, I have seen at least 3 or 4 threads in the last few months extensively covering Quincy/South Boston/Adams Dorchester etc. for single people. Try searching again.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Quincy is a good choice for you believe me. A friend of mine lives alone in the Archstone Apartments in North Quincy, just a stone's throw away from the Red Line. Granted the rent there is expensive (over $1500 for a 1br) but it is much more stylish than any ordinary apartment and you get access to amenities such as a gym room. Of course, there ought to be other less expensive options too. Quincy is pretty big for a suburban city with much variety and it's mostly safe (Quincy Center can be a little iffy at night but just be street smart and you should be all right).

Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,310,990 times
For a single low maintenance guy, Quincy, specifically areas of North Quincy and Wollaston would fit you perfectly. There are plenty of nice apartments of varying sizes that are not only very close to the Red Line, but also to amenities, like CVS, restaurants of all kinds, hair salons, gyms, supermarkets, coffee shops, bakeries of all types etc etc etc within walking distance. The whole city is safe, but these two areas are probably among the safest. Quincy has its own beach front (Wollaston beach) and has access to the Blue Hill if you like hiking.

I took the Red line T into Cambridge last week to meet up with some old school colleagues...It took me 16 minutes from North Quincy to DTX. Then, another 14 minutes pulling into Harvard station. It seems the screeching slow turn entering Harvard station was the only tedious part of the ride. I had a seat and the cabin was nicely air conditioned. The distance is long from Quincy into Boston (you go through Dorchester, then South Boston to finally arrive in DTX), but the Red line, unlike the Green, is very fast.

A brand new KOI sushi restaurant just opened in Wollaston center and the new China Restaurant and Sports Bar is almost done with construction. Lots of things coming online here at Quincy.

You can also check out Quincy Center, where there are also nice apartments available. Within a short time, you will have access to a huge state of the art YMCA with two standard pools. But you will be living through the massive reconstruction center project that will take several years to complete.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 AM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
I noticed you didn't mention your max and min for rent. The monthly loans will affect that, understandably.

You want to be near the subway, but do you mind a short bus ride to the subway? Some parts of Q require that.

Try the Patriot ledger newspaper site, Mon. through Saturday. I think their Friday and Saturday editions may have more apt. listings, though not as many as just a few years ago.

There is a rental agency across from Wolladton T, on Newport Ave. I think it's called "3A," as in the Route 3A?that runs thru parts of the South Shore.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 AM

21 posts, read 50,628 times
Check out following place at the Quincy Center T station...

Munroe Place
Apartments in Quincy, MA - Munroe Place

Ten Faxon
Welcome to Ten Faxon - Life in Balance

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. I don' t have a fixed max/min on Rent, I am aware of Boston's high cost of living but I'd be willing to spend extra or live in a tiny place as long as I can live alone. I just received the official offer and the salary was a few thousand more than I was anticipating so that'll help!! I don't mind taking a Bus to get to the Red Line...I would like to near a grocery store.

I'll check out all the places that have been recommended and please keep the recommendations/info coming Oh and I should mention this will be my first time renting a place on my own, what information do I need to know? I'm starting in early August, will that make the situation harder?? Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or