U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 PM

643 posts, read 835,107 times

Advertisements

All this information is great! I didn't know you can get the blower test after the assessment so I will be sure to sign up.

BobL - Thanks for that chimney flue info & electricity $$$ info. We have oil and have been contemplating switching to gas and debating which appliances to switch - or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM

538 posts, read 1,048,126 times
dravogardro,

most welcome sir, I will be changing my furnace and my tennant's furnace to gas soon, but will keep the electric hot water heaters electric. Huge savings in instalation. I am not a fan of the boilers that also supply the hot water. When they work well, they are awesome, but once problems arise, they can be an expensive repair. One option is to switch to the elect hot water. For the do it yourselfer, I recomend the GE hot water tanks sold at Homey Dee as they come with a 2 year in home warantee.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM

6,334 posts, read 9,086,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
All this information is great! I didn't know you can get the blower test after the assessment so I will be sure to sign up.

BobL - Thanks for that chimney flue info & electricity $$$ info. We have oil and have been contemplating switching to gas and debating which appliances to switch - or not.
If your heating system is old and you're probably going to need to replace it soon anyway then I would definitely make the switch to gas.

They do the blower test as a part of the air sealing service. Even before that though during the energy assessment they look around your house with a thermal imaging camera to see where there is insufficient insulation or heat leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
dravogardro,

most welcome sir, I will be changing my furnace and my tennant's furnace to gas soon, but will keep the electric hot water heaters electric. Huge savings in instalation. I am not a fan of the boilers that also supply the hot water. When they work well, they are awesome, but once problems arise, they can be an expensive repair. One option is to switch to the elect hot water. For the do it yourselfer, I recomend the GE hot water tanks sold at Homey Dee as they come with a 2 year in home warantee.
I totally agree. A boiler providing hot water for showers, etc is not an ideal setup. If you're going to have that setup I would definitely recommend having a hot water holding tank attached so that you have a "buffer" of hot H2O before your boiler comes into play.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 AM

643 posts, read 835,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

They do the blower test as a part of the air sealing service. Even before that though during the energy assessment they look around your house with a thermal imaging camera to see where there is insufficient insulation or heat leakage.
I didn't realize they did that in the assessment. I just assumed it was someone poking around and saying things that I am already aware of like, 'Oh CFLs will save you money!' and 'Weather-strip your door'....so I wasn't terribly excited.

We do have an electric water heater already but it is getting 'up there' in age. Do you know anyone using a tankless system? The boiler for the oil system is not very old but also not efficient so we aren't thinking of trying to use it for a gas conversion.

I thought the chimney flue had to modified with any gas conversion though?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM

538 posts, read 1,048,126 times
Many new furnaces and boilers are comming with direct venting which by passes the need for a chimney. This all depends on the location of the heating unit and access to the outside. If at all possible, I would go the direct vent route. This also lessens the chance for carbon monoxide issues as well as a more efficient furnace/boiler

Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM

22 posts, read 34,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I didn't realize they did that in the assessment. I just assumed it was someone poking around and saying things that I am already aware of like, 'Oh CFLs will save you money!' and 'Weather-strip your door'....so I wasn't terribly excited.

We do have an electric water heater already but it is getting 'up there' in age. Do you know anyone using a tankless system? The boiler for the oil system is not very old but also not efficient so we aren't thinking of trying to use it for a gas conversion.

I thought the chimney flue had to modified with any gas conversion though?

I have a Rinnai RL75 tankless set-up. The biggest hold-up on these units is the initial expense as it takes years and years to make it back on energy savings. However, I lucked out and it was pre-installed on my unit upon purchase as there is no usable basement and thus no room for tanks in the house (long story). So basically, I get 100% of the benefits and none of the draw backs. The only oddity of these units is you have to flush them with vinegar 1x a year for about an hour, but they have all the hook-ups to make this as easy as possible. Unlimited hot water. It uses so little electricity (only a couple watts) that when the power goes out I hook mine up to a small 12v battery and continue to have hot water.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,926,045 times
Anyone installing electric heat for space of DHW is a moron. PERIOD.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,343,107 times
If your in NSTAR's service area, I think they'll still do them for free. Since they would just give you a report it's a little less biased than a company that would want to "help" you fix the prob....

Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM

226 posts, read 289,147 times
Hi all,

Picking up this thread...

I'm wondering how much it costs you guys to insulate your attic? I have a ranch around 1,600 sq feet on the main level. Only around 1/4 of my attic is insulated, so I want to insulate the rest of the attic. As I mentioned months before, the CSG guy who came to my house, said the total cost to insulate the 3/4 of the attic is $3,000??? With MassSave's taking a potential $2000 off, I'll still need to fork out $1000. This seems excessive and thus the CSG numbers seem suspicious.

I took a look at Next Step Living, but their reviews are not that great...?

Or perhaps I can just pick up some insulation from home depot and put them in the attic myself...?

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM

39 posts, read 79,444 times
I paid a similar amount using the discount. I don't think that you can do better because if you use the masssave discount, they determine the cost (based on square footage), not the company who is doing the work. So you cannot shop around, and it is going to be much cheaper than finding a company on your own. I am not handy so I wasn't going to be able to do it myself, but you will need a device to blow-in the insulation and will have to patch holes, etc, it probably can be done.

To the OP, I think there are a lot of snake-oil salespersons in the business as well, I would get one done by the city or through your energy provider. I signed up for information on an energy-saving assessment from a person I met at stand after an event in Boston and they were calling me daily for more than a week until I blocked the number. I read reviews online when I got home and they were terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or