U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

5,032 posts, read 4,848,952 times

Advertisements

Has anyone received one of these? It's a free energy assessment from a place in Cambrdige (I think). I don't know if it's a gimmick and they will just be walking around looking for opportunities to sell me things that may improve energy usage in the long term.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,474,590 times
They will be walking around looking for opportunities to feed you asparagus and then steal your urine.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,913,081 times
They can get you good deals. If you're planning to upgrade to newer or more efficient appliances, they'll offer a discount or rebates.

I did it at my old house. There was very little attic insulation. They identified that and said I could get insulation installed at a reduced rate. I think it was almost 50% off.

In some case you can take out a 0% 7 year loan to make the improvements (if you qualify). But you have to do the assessment first.

Also, I hope you like asparagus.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,474,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post

Also, I hope you like asparagus.
He does. And how his urine smells after he eats it. That's how he got g-fused.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 9,053,672 times
Energy audits are great. I had one done on my home when I bought it and I suggest to my clients who are buying to have one done as well. As DawnMTL mentioned, basically they look at your house and try to figure out ways to make it more energy efficient. During the audit, there's plenty of free stuff to be had. They'll replace your incandescent bulbs with CFLS, your sink aerators and shower heads with low flow versions (they actually work well not like the old low flow stuff), and your non-programmable thermostat with a programmable one. After the audit, they send you a report with suggestions on how to further make your home energy efficient. The report lays out what the work will cost and what rebates are available to reduce the cost. After the audit, you also qualify for a HEAT loan which is a ZERO interest loan for up to 7 years which you can use to fund the improvements recommended in the audit report. The term of the loan is based on how much of a loan you need. The more money you want, the longer the loan.

It's a great service and while many will tell you it's free that's not true. There's actually a line item on all your utility bills which goes into a fund which pays for all of it. You're already paying for it. You might as well use it.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 18,775 times
If you don't trust that company, look into MassSave. It's Massachusetts partnering up with National Grid and N-Star and others. They come for free and there isn't any sales tactics going on. They'll let you know where your house could use some work. Some of the work, like air sealing or adding an insulated foam box on your attic stairs, will be free. Others they'll let you know about can have big incentives. Like I did blown in insulation in my walls at about 20% of the cost of what it would have been. Attic insulation is practically free. Definitely worth having them out.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
If you don't trust that company, look into MassSave.
They actually sub out all the work like the energy assessments to subcontractors. So it's possible the company he's referring to is the one Mass Save partners with in his area. The company that came to my house was Next Step Living. I'm not sure where they're based.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 18,775 times
The insulation work is sub'd out as well as the air sealing. But the energy assessments are typically done by CSG or a MassSave representative. Even when the work is sub'd out though a CSG or MassSave rep is onsite while the work is taking place to oversee them, and then a different rep comes out one final time to review the work and make sure it was done up to standards.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
The insulation work is sub'd out as well as the air sealing. But the energy assessments are typically done by CSG or a MassSave representative. Even when the work is sub'd out though a CSG or MassSave rep is onsite while the work is taking place to oversee them, and then a different rep comes out one final time to review the work and make sure it was done up to standards.
I've only had an energy audit so far, but the guy who came to my house said he was from Next Step Living.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM

5,032 posts, read 4,848,952 times
Thanks all. Sincerely appreciate the input about the assessment. I'll keep the appointment with them.

And to DawnMTL, let me clarify...I doubt they'll be stealing my urine. I don't think other people like the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or