U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,000,130 times

Advertisements

I'll keep this short but I just wanted to say how enjoyable Boston is. We stayed in Brookline just a few mintutes form the Longwood T. We each got a week long Charlie Pass for 18 dollars and used it 3-5 times per day for 5 days....best deal in town. We walked all over the place despite the fact that is was very hot the 5 days we were there. We went to the MFA, Freedom Trail, JFK's birthplace, a Red Sox game, and various brewpubs, restaurants and bars. I went for a couple of runs along the Emerald Necklace and Arnold Arboretum. I've been to Boston many times back in the late 80's-early 90's and my wife and I have stopped a few times the last few years on our way to/from Maine but it's been a while since an extended trip. We're glad we did it and look forward to spending more time in Boston.

In short; it's fantastic, possibly America's greatest city. The people were very kind and helpful too.
Thanks Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,477,415 times
Nice to hear this.

To those who say Boston's too small, too provincial, not diverse, boring, nothing to do, rude, elitist, poorly dressed, etc....well, you seemed to have no issues!

The fact that you've been here numerous times, YET still found it interesting...

Well, that says alot!

Last year, I spoke to one male yuppie living in the North End, just here after five years in Chicago. Originally from the NYC area, he claimed after only a few months in Boston, he'd already "done everything" here! Hmmm... He really liked Chicago, if I recall. Sure, don't blame him, in a way.

Just spoke with a couple of young lesbian types (not that it matters, but I like to get detailed in my anecdotes) in my cab this week, from Seattle here for something at Harvard Divinity School; one didn't seem too enthralled with our city. One said she couldn't wait to fly back to Seattle for her vacation the next day. Met a young gal while visiting Seattle last fall. She was selling tix at their cool Ferris wheel. Said she's from Dorchester, but likes Seattle better. Either it's younger and/or more to do...can't recall exactly. But, see, not everyone thinks Boston is best, and that's also okay.

But, mostly I hear very good feedback about Boston, from both Americans and foreigners, despite some notable "not impressed" types over the years.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 06-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,000,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Nice to hear this.

To those who say Boston's too small, too provincial, not diverse, boring, nothing to do, rude, elitist, poorly dressed, etc....well, you seemed to have no issues!

The fact that you've been here numerous times, YET still found it interesting...

Well, that says a lot!

I spoke to one male yuppie living in the North End, just here after five years in Chicago. Originally from the NYC area, he claimed after only a few months in Boston, he'd already "done everything" here! Hmmm... He really liked a Chicago, if I recall. Sure, don't blame him, in a way.

Just spoke with a couple of young lesbian types (not that it matters, but I like to get detailed in my anecdotes) in my cab this week, from Seattle here for something at Harvard Divinity School; one didn't seem too enthralled with our city. One said she couldn't wait to fly back to Seattle for her vacation the next day.

But, mostly I hear very good feedback about Boston, from both Americans and foreigners, despite some notable "not impressed" types over the years.
I'm from PA so maybe I just have a taste for northeastern cities. But I've been all over the USA....every state but Hawaii and I've always been impressed with Boston and only more so after this week's trip. If one can't find enough to do in Boston and MA in general then one is not looking.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,968,800 times
I think the "wow factor" wears off before too long. But I love living here nonetheless, partly because my neighborhood is "the best!" Cambridge's annual Citywide Dance Party was last night: From 8 PM until midnight on the last Friday in June, Mass. Ave and side streets are blocked around City Hall. A killer sound system is trucked in and 1000's of people shake their stuff while klieg lights blaze across the sky and another light show plays on the front of City Hall. I think the 2013 edition saw the biggest crowd ever - the weather for the event was perfect. My place is so close that you can hear the music from inside the house. I'm also an easy walk from scads of great eating and/or drinking spots (including 5 Indian restaurants) and three grocery stores and an MBTA hub (haven't owned a car in 15 years!) The quality of life on my street is outstanding, many neighbors have become friends, and the whole vibe is richly diverse yet laid-back.
You haven't lived until you've seen a Red Sox game at Fenway Park.
And it's awesome to be within an easy drive, in some cases even a train or bus ride, of the seashore as well as mountains.
But my favorite city in the US is New York, hands down.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 AM

1,859 posts, read 4,252,759 times
Nice to see someone come on and give a review. I know I appreciate it.

Loved this quote from your post "If one can't find enough to do in Boston and MA in general then one is not looking."

I live on Cape and people who don't live here go on and on about how awful, isolating, boring it is off season. I think I will steal your quote when that comes up again. I love Boston, lived just outside the city for most of my life and it was never dull. Not everyone needs to live or vacation in a Disneyfied, entertain me, every second environment. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,221,348 times
Glad you've enjoyed your visit. You've been to a lot more places in five days than many other visitors to Boston would have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or