U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM

606 posts, read 908,997 times

Advertisements

Used mapfrappe.com to do a little sketching of what it would be like if Boston had L.A.'s public transportation lines. L.A. being much more spread out, it makes sense that the city has more widespread geographic coverage, but I think Boston could use some of that to connect the Greater Boston area better, serve under-served neighborhoods of the city, and benefit the city and metro overall. Here are some of the rough sketches I did. Click to enlarge.

FYI I can't rotate the outlines on the Boston maps, so they follow the LA routes literally. We'd have to use our imaginations to see how these routes would make even more sense in Boston.

Kendall Square to Downtown Brockton (L.A. Blue Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-1.png

The Park at River's Edge/Malden to Lawrence (L.A. Blue Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-5.png

Codman Square to Wonderland [via Forest Hills and Chestnut Hill] (L.A. Gold Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-7.png

Forest Hills to Framingham (L.A. Green Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-12.png

Field's Corner to Chestnut Hill (L.A. Red Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-16.png

Airport to Arlington Center (L.A. Red Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-17.png

Copley Square to Route 60/McLean Hospital (L.A. Red Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-19.png

Hyde Park to Braintree (L.A. Red Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-22.png

Savin Hill to Brook Farm via Mattapan Square (L.A. Expo Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-24.png

Powder House Square to Waltham Center (L.A. Expo Line)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-26.png

Copley Square to I-95/Rt-129 Junction Reading/Wakefield (L.A. Bus 204)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-30.png

South Station to Rt. 128 Randolph (L.A. Bus 204)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-32.png

Quincy Center to Brockton (L.A. Bus 204)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-33.png

Rt 140 Franklin to Downtown Framingham (L.A. Bus Line 204)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-34.png

South Station to Rt 9 Natick (L.A. Bus Line 33)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-38.png

Norwood Center to Hingham (L.A. Bus Line 33)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-39.png

Beverly to I-95/Rt 38 Junction Woburn (L.A. Bus Line 33)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-40.png

Wonderland to Weston (L.A. Bus Line 33)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-42.png

Dudley Square to West Natick (L.A. Bus Line 33)
Rough Sketches -- If Boston had L.A. Public Transportation [Fixed]-picture-44.png

Any input, thoughts, etc. Please
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM

1,391 posts, read 997,058 times
I may not be understanding correctly; are you saying LA has better rail service than Boston? I don't live in Boston but I've used the T and from what I understand, the commuter rail while not a great bargain compared to the subway, has pretty good coverage.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,919,404 times
Not sure I understand this post either. The MBTA network of bus, subway and commuter rail is easily as comprehensive as what is offered in Los Angeles, it's just a more compact area.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
I don't get it.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
What is seriously needed is some sort of transit ring route that goes around Downtown Boston rather than go through it which is a primary reason why the T gets so congested. Some of these maps suggest some similar routes and ideas as this. Unfortunately, it may never become reality because Massachusetts has a tendency to go for the cheapest options all the time and an urban ring is by no means cheap.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
As someone living in LA who grew up in the Boston area, I dearly miss the T. While the bus system here in LA is efficiently laid out, our subway is a joke and we still have at least 20 years before we'll get a rail system with any decent coverage. You really have to own a car if you're going to be jumping around the city much (and it is a BIG city).

Also, you should do a map with all your routes combined.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,528,280 times
Yeah, WTH are you talking about OP? Boston's T has 5x the ridership of LA's transit system despite the fact LA is 3x as big as Metro BOS.

This is like asking if Rome Naples would be better off with Dublin's Pizza recipe!

Without studying, my short answer is prolly not.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM

606 posts, read 908,997 times
I was definitely having fun with the mapping tool.

Anyways, I clearly understand the differences between the two metros. I grew up in Boston and now live in Los Angeles. Obviously the LA Metro system covers a much greater area than the Boston T because LA is bigger than Boston, I know that, but I was simply trying to generate some ideas on how geographic coverage of the Boston system could be improved by comparing it to what they are able to build in Los Angeles.

I know Boston's rapid has higher ridership than the LA rapid, but that is because only two of the LA subways (Red and Purple line) qualify as rapid, while the Gold, Blue, Green, and Expo lines are all light rail.

I don't necessarily miss the Boston system. I miss the commuter rail, which is pretty comprehensive but is also extremely expensive and tends to delay and such often. LA does, however, have a far superior, FAR superior bus system to Boston in terms of number of lines and geographic coverage and consistency. Boston's main lines and LA's run about the same frequency, but Boston ha many that run on less frequency. But mostly here I was looking simply at how far a bus can take you.

I agree about the urban ring. That's another point. Because LA has no "center", it's bus and rail systems cover geography better, I believe. In Boston, almost everything brings you to or towards the center, so it's harder (unless you're in Boston proper, Cambridge, and Somerville where you can basically get anywhere) to go some place via public transportation because you have to go into Boston or towards it before going somewhere else.

Anyways thanks for the input. It's a nifty gadget.

PS I'm interested in public transport generally. For one reason, I don't have a car.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
LA public transit is nothing.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM

443 posts, read 399,032 times
Bostons rapid transit is only 3 lines although it does have much higher mileage and the green line is light rail and has 4 spur routes beats LA even with less mileage. Boston 28 vs LA 70.4

Most of the routes you showed also totally missed the core and would not get high enough ridership to justify and are currently covered by commuter rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or