U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,528 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Somerville August 1 from Texas. We have signed a lease and everything but I understand there are restrictions in regards to moving vans, etc. Since this will be my first cross-country move, what are some practical things that I need to consider before we get there? Do I need a permit for our moving truck? How do I get one? Anything else that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM

11,407 posts, read 16,038,110 times
Congrats on your move! All the Somerville permits can be found at Permits - ParkSomerville: Somerville. You need to get a resident moving into the city permit (free for the first 21 days, then you need to go to the parking office and get a resident pass). You can find that form at http://www.parksomerville.com/images...pplication.pdf. They WILL ticket you even if you're in the process of moving. The first day I moved to Somerville, I hadn't gotten a pass yet and I was ticketed within 15 minutes. Vicious! Also keep an eye out for street cleaning, which requires that you move your vehicle quite frequently.

The moving van permit can be found at http://www.parksomerville.com/images...plication2.pdf and is $40. What they will do is put up signs in front of your house banning parking so that your moving van has space. Otherwise, your van would have to find on-street parking, which could result in very angry movers. :P

Try to send those forms in ASAP. It can take at least 15 business days, which is already putting you kind of close for August 1 (assuming you'll leave your current residence a few days before to make the trip).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM

3,598 posts, read 3,680,406 times
I blieve Somerville gives out no cost moving permits for vehicles to park in resident spots.

Aside from that, you guys should be fine. Just be sure to use good judgement when parking the truck and be mindful of the usual parking laws; don't block an intersection, don't block a driveway, don't block a fire hydrant, etc.

I would check out the city's website for further details about the moving truck permit.

Edit: looks like the above poster has everything covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston