U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,289 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here in Mississippi. I have loved growing up here, but I am graduating college next May with a desire to relocate. Since I was young, I have always wanted to live in Boston. Any and all advice/tips are greatly appreciated as I start the relocation process. I currently go to the University of Mississippi in a town of 20,000 people, so it will be a huge adjustment, but I'm incredibly excited to become part of a great city like Boston.

I come from a state where 2 inches of snow is a blizzard and 90 degrees is a warm spring day. I have no earthly idea how to prepare for the change in climate I will be experiencing. Also, no cities in Mississippi have great public transit because everyone owns a car. I am curious about the public transit and any advice on how to get around efficiently would be great. I have very little familiarity with the neighborhoods in Boston, but I know I would like to be close to downtown, with easy access to the livelier areas of the city.

Furthermore, I have interest in working with the business side of theatre. I am graduating with a degree in Marketing and Public Relations, and have always had a passion for the arts. Any advice on how to get into the business is appreciated as well.

As you can see, I need all the help I can get, but I'm determined to make Boston my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,763,343 times
Most of the transplants from the South I have known while living in Boston ended up going back to where they came. From my perspective, there seems to be diminishing interest in the performing arts in Massachusetts, so I think employment opportunities will be scarce.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM

596 posts, read 785,709 times
From what I've read in these forums, if you move to Boston and the locals think that you are a transplant you will struggle socially. So I suggest that when you move you convince people that you were born & raised in the area ("townie" is the term that I see quite a lot), and you should fit right in. For example when you go to a bar don't forget to tell people how busy that you are attending family functions and hanging out with old friends from the neighborhood.

Also, if you can handle the summers in Mississippi then you can easily handle the summers in Boston. Springs are late by Mississippi standards and autumns are great. The average annual snowfall is about 45", so get a good pair of boots. The temperature rarely drops below 0F.

I hope that this helps.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM

7,905 posts, read 6,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
From what I've read in these forums, if you move to Boston and the locals think that you are a transplant you will struggle socially. So I suggest that when you move you convince people that you were born & raised in the area ("townie" is the term that I see quite a lot), and you should fit right in. For example when you go to a bar don't forget to tell people how busy that you are attending family functions and hanging out with old friends from the neighborhood.

Also, if you can handle the summers in Mississippi then you can easily handle the summers in Boston. Springs are late by Mississippi standards and autumns are great. The average annual snowfall is about 45", so get a good pair of boots. The temperature rarely drops below 0F.

I hope that this helps.
This is terrible advice. Not to mention extremely easy to see through.

Be yourself. Don't listen to people who say you can't make friends here. I'm a transplant, I have friends- even a couple native Bostonians (those mean, nasty people that are so rough, rude, and hostile towards outsiders). There are lots of transplants here anyway. The idea that most people in Boston are natives, giving dirty looks to people without Boston accents, and have no interest in the world beyond their front door is absolutely ridiculous. I have not seen that at all. Some people are d-bags, true, but hardly a majority.

As for neighborhoods, you might want to consider looking into Jamaica Plain. It's got some art stuff going on, easy access downtown. I actually wish I could move there. I'm a fan of the area around Green Street T and Stony Brook T, have a couple friends who live there. Not sure about how easy it is to break into the theater scene, but maybe someone else can better guide you there.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM

450 posts, read 462,800 times
I just moved from Memphis to Boston. Granted, I grew up in NJ for my whole life before I spent two years in Memphis so I'm not unfamiliar with the winters and the northeastern attitude. People absolutely will not be as friendly. I'm assuming that when you walk down a street in Oxford, you say hello to anyone you pass. You make small talk with your cashier at the grocery store. You make conversation with someone you sit next to on a bench. That won't happen in New England. But now, as a young person graduating from college, is the best time for you to make this sort of move. I started looking for non-profit jobs in Boston in February (from Memphis) and was finally offered something on July 1, so it takes some time.

You can find arts organizations in Boston here: idealist.org and here: idealist.org

Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM

450 posts, read 462,800 times
A lot of jobs I've seen (in the non-profit sector, where I was looking) were in development so if there's any way you can get some experience in that this year (through a student job at school or some sort of volunteer work) that might be helpful. Grant writing is a good skill to have, too, especially for the business side of the arts.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM

21 posts, read 28,672 times
Quote:

I hope that this helps.
This bears zero resemblance to Boston.

OP.

Go to Somerville. Get a few beers at the Burren or at the Republic or Saloon. The people will be young grad types, into the arts, really friendly and outgoing.

This forum is infested with people that have never been to Boston who make up stories about it.

Boston-Cam-Quincy is very friendly.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,675,091 times
Quote:

I hope that this helps.
There's your problem. So much bad info and biased comments get passed off as fact on this site.

There are so many people from other areas and the country in Boston and the surrounding towns and cities that the whole outsider thing gets way overblown.

For what it's worth, 2 of my best friends are from the south. 1 is from Arkansas and the other is from Alabama and both have been here for years and love it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM

21 posts, read 28,672 times
I'd also add, I live in New Orleans and am moving back to Boston. I'm from the Boston metro.

I won't miss the deep southern weather. I'll take the cold months in exchange for low humidity and pleasant weather the rest of the year.

Weather, you'll notice the biggest difference travelling between them in the spring and fall. IRoncially the temperature difference between Oxford (I'm guessing this is where you are from) and Boston is greatest in those seasons. The summers will be a dream compared to the south .. the winters will be cold for you, so get some clothes.

Public transit? Learn all the transfers. Most are downtown.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,675,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werger View Post
I was born and raised here in Mississippi. I have loved growing up here, but I am graduating college next May with a desire to relocate. Since I was young, I have always wanted to live in Boston. Any and all advice/tips are greatly appreciated as I start the relocation process. I currently go to the University of Mississippi in a town of 20,000 people, so it will be a huge adjustment, but I'm incredibly excited to become part of a great city like Boston.

I come from a state where 2 inches of snow is a blizzard and 90 degrees is a warm spring day. I have no earthly idea how to prepare for the change in climate I will be experiencing. Also, no cities in Mississippi have great public transit because everyone owns a car. I am curious about the public transit and any advice on how to get around efficiently would be great. I have very little familiarity with the neighborhoods in Boston, but I know I would like to be close to downtown, with easy access to the livelier areas of the city.

Furthermore, I have interest in working with the business side of theatre. I am graduating with a degree in Marketing and Public Relations, and have always had a passion for the arts. Any advice on how to get into the business is appreciated as well.

As you can see, I need all the help I can get, but I'm determined to make Boston my new home.
Sure Boston will be a bit of a change in terms of climate, but it's not like you're going to Siberia. Some people on this site act as though once winter comes, everyone wears 15 layers and never goes outside. You will find a lot of people up here love winter. They head to the nearby mountains of Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire to ski, ride, snow shoe, ice climb, snow mobile, etc. It won't be as hot as Mississippi for the most part, but we do get our fair share of heat. We've already had two stretches of multiple consecutive days of 90 plus temps. I would expect 3-4 months of cold weather where there is a chance of snow. So from April through November more than likely will be snow free.

I've never been to Mississippi, so I will take a guess and assume it will be a bit of a change coming to Boston. But it would also be a bit of a change if you were going to NYC, DC, Seattle, San Francisco, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or