U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,185,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I wouldn't say that (the unpractical part). Maybe it's TOO practical for some.
Correction: not practical for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,185,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
How do you know this? Nothing in the OPs one posting gave away their gender. Did you read through other postings made by her? Following her from other threads?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
I've read her posts in other threads before on C-D and remember her. I think we visit a lot of the same forums, like the Fashion & Beauty forum (where we were "veterans" of the "Nyanna Wars" ).

Oh, and it also says she's female right in her "About Me" section .

Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 AM

8 posts, read 8,356 times
Have you considered using the commuter rail instead? From one end of the line to the other, it takes like 40 minutes (from my stop in Roslindale to South Station it takes 15 mins compared with 45min-1.5hrs via bus/T). It can be pricey depending on what "zone" you're in, but what you'd save on rent by living farther away would more than make up for it.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,976,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've read her posts in other threads before on C-D and remember her. I think we visit a lot of the same forums, like the Fashion & Beauty forum (where we were "veterans" of the "Nyanna Wars" ).

Interesting. I don't think I can recall the last time I clicked "About Me" to find out anything about another poster, not even the infamous "Chet Everett" in Chicago or "Grandview Gloria" in Mississippi. I just don't care enough, I guess - I read their requests and try to respond at face value. If the OP didn't think something was important enough to mention, then why should I go hunting around, trying to assume what the OP "really" means? Does that make me naive?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,259,198 times
Quote:
Hmmm, is it possible to walk to downtown Boston from East Boston?

OP, what exactly is your budget? You're asking for a lot here: a cheap, dog friendly apartment within 2 miles or less of Boston's main business center. I would imagine that the options would be crazy few and incredibly far in between. Oh, and you'll be a recent grad who will likely not be starting off with a high salary but may possibly have debt.

With that list, East Boston would be the best option, but Eastie isn't all that cheap when you take into account how much of it has gentrified. Oh, and don't forget the tolls. You will have to pay every time you want to drive into the city. Not a lot, but it adds up over time.
I'm not sure what my budget will be yet. Probably around $1,000 per month and I would prefer to be able to walk to work in 30 minutes and have a parking space for my car in the neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Why can't you guys just answer the OPs question, instead of telling him to take the T when he said he doesn't want to?

I got on google maps and mentally drew a 2-mile circle around the financial district. Cheapest areas will be Charlestown and South Boston, although you might luck into an affordable dump in the South End or Bay Village. In theory you could even walk from a few areas of Cambridge, but those areas won't be cheap. Eastie would be good but it's not walkable, so take it off the list.

Any affordable dumps in the North End?

Thanks! yes, I really hate taking the train during rush hour. I used to take it all the time during rush hour when I was a teenager but now I just can't tolerate it anymore.

I rather walk than take the T. I will easily walk from Fenway to Park Street over taking the T.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Haha, oh yes the Nyanna Wars. How I miss those day

I am a woman.

I would really like to be able to walk to work in a pair of boots or tennis shoes. It just seems like the most pleasant way to start the day. I'm a pretty humble person if I may say so myself. I'm happy to cook most of my own meals. I just know I will have a better day at work if I don't have to take the train in during rush hour. It's just one of my eccentricities

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 AM

448 posts, read 461,011 times
$1000 with parking? Good luck. I doubt you can even get a studio for that price.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,858,641 times
OP - Assuming you have at least a few co workers earning a similar paycheck, have you asked them where they live and how they feel about their commute?

Truthfully you're not going to find what your looking for for $1,000.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
OP - Assuming you have at least a few co workers earning a similar paycheck, have you asked them where they live and how they feel about their commute?

Truthfully you're not going to find what your looking for for $1,000.

I'm still a full-time student. I'm going to start applying for jobs soon because I graduate in December. Most of the entry-level jobs in my field pay around $40-50,000.

I currently live in a $1,000 studio and spend over 50% of my available funds on housing. It's near Brookline-Newton-Brighton area. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Its actually consider a "hidden gem" or a "great find". What a crock of ****. Most apartments in my area with roommates are $800-900 anyways and in dumpy buildings. So this $1,000 studio that is far from the city is a great find.

I interned this past spring, and the entry level staff lived in:

1. One was from out of town and had roommates in Beacon Hill. She always talked about how she was tight on money because her rent was high.

2. The other one commuted from her parents house in lowel

3. The last one lived near Castle Island and I'm not sure if she had roommates.

I'm not opposed to having roommates but I'm worried it will be hard to find one with my rambunctious small dog.

It seems like in order to get roommates if you have a dog is YOU have to rent out the large apartment alone and then search for roommates. I simply can't afford that in Boston. That would be crazy.

My parking requirement can be street parking.

Whats amazing is $1,000 dollar rent isn't doable in Boston at all. $1,000 is a good chuck of change and in most of the country it is a respectable budget, especially for a person in their early or mid twenties. Here, it doesn't even get you the dignity of your own bathroom.

I'm not asking for much here. A studio would be great. Why is that considered a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget? Why is the ability to *walk* to work without being groped on a rush hour train so high highfaluting?

If I make $40,000 a year when I graduate, $1,000 per month will be a third of my income BEFORE taxes. Why is this worth nothing? Why must I be fiscally irresponsible just to live a modest yet comfortable lifestyle in Boston? Does everyone here pay over 50% of their income for housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or