U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,596 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search of studio apartments available in South Boston (where I live) and came up with the one cited below for $1200. It is in a nice neighborhood and very walkable to downtown. I walk all the time to Downtown Crossing, using the #7 bus if the weather is poor. This apartment is available August 1 - are your ready to move now or just beginning your search? Best for you to contact a few of the real estate agents in the area who handle rentals to see if they have what you are looking for. Wishing you the best in your search!

Joyce Lebedew Real Estate - South Boston, MA EB.1.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,871,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Does everyone here pay over 50% of their income for housing?
Certainly. My first apt probably cost me close to 2/3 of my take home. $825 p/m on 28k per year.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,035,370 times
Quote:
I

No. More people probably don't get everything they want, though. It sounds like you will have to concede on living alone and your ideal commute--you simply can't afford both.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,209,132 times
Quote:
I'm still a full-time student. I'm going to start applying for jobs soon because I graduate in December. Most of the entry-level jobs in my field pay around $40-50,000.

I currently live in a $1,000 studio and spend over 50% of my available funds on housing. It's near Brookline-Newton-Brighton area. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Its actually consider a "hidden gem" or a "great find". What a crock of ****. Most apartments in my area with roommates are $800-900 anyways and in dumpy buildings. So this $1,000 studio that is far from the city is a great find.

I interned this past spring, and the entry level staff lived in:

1. One was from out of town and had roommates in Beacon Hill. She always talked about how she was tight on money because her rent was high.

2. The other one commuted from her parents house in lowel

3. The last one lived near Castle Island and I'm not sure if she had roommates.

I'm not opposed to having roommates but I'm worried it will be hard to find one with my rambunctious small dog.

It seems like in order to get roommates if you have a dog is YOU have to rent out the large apartment alone and then search for roommates. I simply can't afford that in Boston. That would be crazy.

My parking requirement can be street parking.

Whats amazing is $1,000 dollar rent isn't doable in Boston at all. $1,000 is a good chuck of change and in most of the country it is a respectable budget, especially for a person in their early or mid twenties. Here, it doesn't even get you the dignity of your own bathroom.

I'm not asking for much here. A studio would be great. Why is that considered a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget? Why is the ability to *walk* to work without being groped on a rush hour train so high highfaluting?

If I make $40,000 a year when I graduate, $1,000 per month will be a third of my income BEFORE taxes. Why is this worth nothing? Why must I be fiscally irresponsible just to live a modest yet comfortable lifestyle in Boston? Does everyone here pay over 50% of their income for housing?
Yeah, renting with animals can suck sometimes. Here in Chicago, I have had to rent out an apartment and then look for roommates versus renting out a room. But it's hard not to love the furballs.

It actually isn't impossible to find a studio in the general Boston area for $1000. Heck, you could rent a one bedroom apartment for that amount in places like Medford, Somerville, Quincy, and so on. The issue with your budget comes when you're looking for inexpensive apartments within close walking distance of the city's main business sector. It's not just a Boston thing- for example, while I could find studio for rent for about $650 or less in some parts of Chicago like Edgewater, Rogers Park, or Hyde Park, if I had to limit my search to apartments within walking distance of the Loop, rents more than double and going up as high as $1500 (granted, that $1500 downtown apartment in Chicago will likely contain more perks than a $1500 downtown apartment in Boston). Everyone wants to live as close to work as possible and the demand far outstrips the supply, especially in a small city like Boston (at least downtown Chicago's supply is aided by multiple highrises). So off course landlords and jack up the rents and that is why it costs more money to live in Beacon Hill than it does to live in Roslindale.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get everything on your wish list at that budget. If you're willing to get roommates (it'll take a bit more time, but you can find a dog friendly roommate), your options will explode and you'll have plenty to choose from with a $1000 budget. If you're willing to take the T, then you also have more options in the areas I previously mentioned and even possibly spots in other sections of the city. If you're willing to live a bit outside of Boston and take the commuter rail in, then your options could extend to nicer apartments in places like Salem and towns on the North or South Shore.

I did a quick search on Padmapper and nothing comes up within your parameters You would have to bump up your budget to at least $1400 before you start seeing options and it isn't until you set the maximum at $2000 you start seeing real options. Unfortunately, this is what you get if you want something with short walking distance of downtown Boston:

PET FRIENDLY - One Bedroom - Huge, Sunny and Front Facing - 1/2 Fee
Large Studio- free heat/water on Beacon Hill
1 Bedroom apartment available for Sept 1
1 Bd / Bay Village / $1,900
Available NOW-South End one Bed Apartment
https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...81424&src=main
RENOVATED /// Hardwoods, Granite & Stainless - MUST SEE! - Sept 1

Boston isn't cheap and yet, it's still cheaper than some places out there.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 6,784,278 times
It is too bad you are so much against using public transportation. The area around the orange line (Melrose, Malden, Medford) would have more in your range, and it is close to the famous dog park, the Sheeps Fold in the Fells. There are even a few good indie coffee shops in Melrose.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,988,411 times
Quote:
I'm not opposed to having roommates but I'm worried it will be hard to find one with my rambunctious small dog.

My parking requirement can be street parking.

Whats amazing is $1,000 dollar rent isn't doable in Boston at all. $1,000 is a good chuck of change and in most of the country it is a respectable budget, especially for a person in their early or mid twenties. Here, it doesn't even get you the dignity of your own bathroom.
I'm glad you came back to this thread to respond to everyone.

I don't think $1,000 is a small amount of money. Unfortunately Boston is a small city with not a lot of places to live, and it's very desireable to live close to the city center. So supply and demand is not your friend. Everyone wants to live close to downtown - everyone wants to walk to work. But only the really well-off, the really lucky, or those willing to "compromise" can make it happen.

Comparing Boston real estate to the rest of the country is a waste of your time, and will only result in frustration. The reality is that you can probably make $40,000 in Chicago or Atlanta or whatever, and your money will go much further in terms of real estate. So if you're committed to Boston, then I think what people are saying is you will have to compromise.

Quote:
No not everyone, not even most. Most people compromise, and either live far out in the burbs, or live with roommates, or live in crappy buildings, or some combination of those three things.

Those unwilling to compromise spend most of their money on housing and never have money to go out, buy new clothes, whatever, and eventually move out of Boston altogether, broke and angry. Don't fall into that trap.

You're going to have to find a roommate with a dog of their own. Not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or