U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,760,173 times

Advertisements

red line as close to MGH as you can afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM

30 posts, read 182,757 times
Porter or Central Square maybe....Porter is the nicer of the two in my opinion (most others would probably agree). The area by Kendall could be a possibility too...Not sure what the real estate is like there, though. But then you could walk across the Longfellow bridge to work!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM

315 posts, read 507,829 times
Another vote for Porter Square. It's convenient for many reasons. You have the red line to take you to MGH or into Boston for any other reason, Harvard Square is one stop or a pretty easy walk away. Davis Square is even closer. The shopping center offers most things you'd need between Shaw's, the organic food shop, the toy store, the package store, the book store and Tags, which is a great hardware store that has a lot of housewares as well. You also have the commuter rail in case you ever want to venture out to Lincoln or Concord for hiking, cross country skiing or exploring. In short, Porter is very handy to your job and offers additional amenities and conveniences that would make adjusting to life in the Boston area easier. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 PM

417 posts, read 536,059 times
I would also recommend along the red line. If you live somewhere near Kendall, you could also bike or even walk across the bridge to MGH if you wanted to. there are hubway bikes all over now so that's an option along with the T. Kendall is a good option bc I am guessing as a post doc you will be there a lot and will want to live close by.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM

I just heard on the news today that the Longfellow bridge will have construction work for three years starting this week and that the MBTA may shut down between Cambridge and Boston some days. I'm afraid that will impact the part of the trip between Kendall and Charles.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,767,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I just heard on the news today that the Longfellow bridge will have construction work for three years starting this week and that the MBTA may shut down between Cambridge and Boston some days. I'm afraid that will impact the part of the trip between Kendall and Charles.
The work on the Red Line tracks will take place on 25 weekends over the course of 3.5 years - roughly one weekend every other month (although I'm not sure if they will space it out like this). Red Line service between Kendall and Park St. will be replaced by a bus, stopping at Charles/MGH.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The work on the Red Line tracks will take place on 25 weekends over the course of 3.5 years - roughly one weekend every other month (although I'm not sure if they will space it out like this). Red Line service between Kendall and Park St. will be replaced by a bus, stopping at Charles/MGH.
Good to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or