Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,062,207 times

Advertisements

You're assuming a lot from just a few posts that reveal very little about me. Because I prefer not to be inches away from some sweaty businessman for 20-40 minutes every single day means that I'm the type of person who frequently calls in sick, doesn't put in effort at my job, or can't handle a stressful situation? Yup, you've got me pegged! Plus, if you read the OP, there's a bit of a joking tone there. I'm guessing you didn't pick up on that.

I find it strange that you can't understand why some people wouldn't enjoy a crowded or stuffy commute though. So what if everyone else does it? Have you seen the trains in China or India? They literally have to force themselves in just to get on the train. Since millions of people do that, does it mean you should endure those conditions without complaint? Going back to the point I made - I have a very easy, stress-free commute now. That's a "perk" I'd be giving up. And I'd want to make that up in some fashion, the simplest being additional pay. And I don't go in negotiating with a spreadsheet with a full break down - I say this is what I'd like to make, lets see if we can agree on a salary.

Anyways the point of this thread is: If the Red Line during rush hour is like a train in Inda with people hanging off and so crammed they can't move for 20-40 minutes, I'm not going to be excited about commuting and may consider turning down the job (if all else is equal). If it's just crowded for 10 minutes of the ride, then OK I can deal with that.

And I've taken the T from Quincy to Park St many times (not during rush hour - which I assume would take longer), and it's typically been about 25-30 minutes (obviously it'd be longer the closer to Cambridge I go). You're on the complete opposite end of the train and getting off at a different stop. Just because your ride is 20 minutes doesn't mean everyone else's is too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 108,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
You're assuming a lot from just a few posts that reveal very little about me. Because I prefer not to be inches away from some sweaty businessman for 20-40 minutes every single day means that I'm the type of person who frequently calls in sick, doesn't put in effort at my job, or can't handle a stressful situation? Yup, you've got me pegged! Plus, if you read the OP, there's a bit of a joking tone there. I'm guessing you didn't pick up on that.

I find it strange that you can't understand why some people wouldn't enjoy a crowded or stuffy commute though. So what if everyone else does it? Have you seen the trains in China or India? They literally have to force themselves in just to get on the train. Since millions of people do that, does it mean you should endure those conditions without complaint? Going back to the point I made - I have a very easy, stress-free commute now. That's a "perk" I'd be giving up. And I'd want to make that up in some fashion, the simplest being additional pay. And I don't go in negotiating with a spreadsheet with a full break down - I say this is what I'd like to make, lets see if we can agree on a salary.

Anyways the point of this thread is: If the Red Line during rush hour is like a train in Inda with people hanging off and so crammed they can't move for 20-40 minutes, I'm not going to be excited about commuting and may consider turning down the job (if all else is equal). If it's just crowded for 10 minutes of the ride, then OK I can deal with that.

And I've taken the T from Quincy to Park St many times (not during rush hour - which I assume would take longer), and it's typically been about 25-30 minutes (obviously it'd be longer the closer to Cambridge I go). You're on the complete opposite end of the train and getting off at a different stop. Just because your ride is 20 minutes doesn't mean everyone else's is too.
As a hiring manager I have to look for red flag is all.

Those sweaty business men don't enjoy being sweaty business men. They don't enjoy standing next to other sweaty business men but they do it because of their commitment and work ethic.

I don't know you personally but in my experience that is the reality. If someone is the type to whinge this much about "not wanting to do it" then it is not just a thing about a rush hour train, it is their general outlook on life. Some people you can't get them out of the office even if they are really sick, you have to send them home because they WANT it. Others will call in sick at the drop of a hat.
It does make you look like you are positioning yourself above everyone else. Nobody does that stuff because they ENJOY it, they d it because they HAVE to and are COMMITTED to what they are doing. Why exactly you can't do it is beyond me....

You even proved my point... look at those trains in India but those people fight tooth and nail to be on the train and get where they need to be... a 20 minute Air conditioned trip on the red line at 8am must be heaven to someone who has to get on those trains. You're not exactly slumming it on there.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,062,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate28 View Post
Those sweaty business men don't enjoy being sweaty business men. They don't enjoy standing next to other sweaty business men but they do it because of their commitment and work ethic.
I sort of understand where you're coming from now, but I'd have to disagree. My work ethic and commitment to my job is completely unrelated to whether I enjoy my commute or not. If the commute was horrible, I'd look for another job. But in the meantime, it doesn't mean I'm going to call in sick cause I can't handle it or make up any other excuses.

That's why I want to know what I'm getting into. Because once I take a job, I'm going to give it 100%. I have too much pride in my work to do anything less.

Anyways, I'm not going to continue arguing cause this thread was nice and happy before we started our exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston