U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,903,109 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at jobs around the Boston area and I'd much rather take the T than drive in. I've never taken the T during rush hour, so I don't really know how bad it would be.

Say that I get on at Quincy Adams and take the Red Line to Downtown Crossing. How crowded will it be? I've been on the Green Line on weekends and after rush hour and thought it was extremely crowded (certain lines anyways). During rush hour, is the Red Line similar? Will there be a lot of people standing and squished together? Is it OK until Park Street? I've noticed a lot of people tend to get on at that stop.

I want a new job, but I don't like crowds . I think at some point I may just take a day off from work and go into Boston during rush hour to experience it, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM

701 posts, read 1,207,421 times
I hate crowds, too, but sorry, they're a way of life in Downtown Boston especially during Rush Hour. It's not as bad as the Green Line, and the Red Line's cars are the widest of the entire city rail system, which helps. However, crowds are a given once you hit South Station, which is two stops before Park St. That being said, you're lucky your home commute is away Downtown Crossing instead of heading into Cambridge.

Taking a day off and getting on a rush hour is a good idea, though. Though, as someone who studies transportation, I would hope that you would choose to use the T instead of bringing your car in.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM

538 posts, read 1,041,898 times
VERY, to answer the question directly, but you do move along and it is a good route.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Taking a day off and getting on a rush hour is a good idea, though. Though, as someone who studies transportation, I would hope that you would choose to use the T instead of bringing your car in.

Oh I've driven in rush hour traffic between Boston & the south shore and there's absolutely no way I want to do that every day. I just need to get an idea so I can add a mental distress factor to my salary negotiations if I get a job offer!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM

3,783 posts, read 2,794,286 times
When I worked on Lincoln Street and lived in Quincy (2004-2005), for the afternoon commute home I would enter the red line at Downtown Crossing and walk the concourse over to Park Street. I would walk to the far north end of the center platform and get on the southbound train at the very back end. I was always guaranteed a choice of seats by doing this. The crowds would intensify at DTC and South Station but I found being able to have a choice of seats made the crowd aspect more tolerable. My destination stop was North Quincy and this put me right at an exit from the station which also came in handy.

When I used the MBTA I treated it like a science and even if I had to stand for 45 minutes I would do my best to position my ride location in a spot that would end up near the best station exit. This minimized crowding during exiting the stations. Learn your stations well. Many have only one entrance but multiple exits.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 PM

417 posts, read 534,680 times
Quincy is far enough that you may end up with a seat or at least will get one a few stops in as people are getting on and off. It'll be crowded but I think that's way better than sitting in traffic during rush hour.

I ride the red line daily (although from the other side- kendall to downtown crossing, used to be porter) and don't mind the crowds at all. I agree, its just a part of city life. I'd even say the ride on the red line is a peaceful break to my day.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM

13 posts, read 19,108 times
You'll get a seat if you get on at Quincy Adams for sure and maybe even get a seat since its the second stop. (Braintree, Quincy Adams, Quincy Center, Wollaston, North Quincy....ect ect....) Get on after Wollaston? HAHAHA good luck.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM

I take it I won't be lucky enough to get a seat on the way home?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I take it I won't be lucky enough to get a seat on the way home?
If you get on the train at Park St. instead of Downtown Crossing, you greatly increase your chances of getting a seat for the southbound journey. It's totally worth it, especially considering it's only a 500-feet walk between the two stations! I would also try to board at the back of the train at Park St., since the last couple of cars tend to be less crowded.

Unfortunately, Braintree trains are definitely more crowded than Ashmont trains during rush hour.

(By the way, for anyone making the reverse commute on the Red Line - going from downtown to Alewife during rush hour, the opposite of the above applies. Board at DTX instead of Park St, and get on in one of the first couple of cars. Obviously if you can walk to South Station, you should get on there).

Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,257,321 times
You should definitely have a seat at Quincy Adams. At night, I would get on at Park St. The platforms are larger and you're more likely to get a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or